I hate measuring

Options
12346»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    So let's say you are 50 lbs. overweight and are trying to lose weight for the first time. You start counting calories. Great! One year later you have lost the 50 lbs. Great!

Now perhaps to celebrate, you can finally stop counting calories (unless you really really enjoy counting calories).

I mean after one entire year, you should have learned how much you can eat and how much you can't eat, without the need to count.

if that were TRUE.... regaining the weight wouldnt occur as often as it DOES ;) which is why (from what ive heard, anyways) maintenance is more difficult than actually losing weight.

I wish this were true for me. In 2010 I realized I was at my highest weight, 136 5'6". I started counting calories in a notebook (yes a paper one!) and got down to 114 (this was actually too low but I run a lot of miles). I stopped counting in January 2012 because cmon, I knew what I could eat, I got this! My weight crept up to 138 by mid 2013. Before I got to 140 I knew I had to start counting again. Good habits slowly turned into bad ones with no accountability. This time I used MFP and 15 months later I am 119, 17% bf and have lots of muscle. It works and I'm not going back to being a non-counter.

i think you missed my point, seeing as you just DEMONSTRATED my point.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    So let's say you are 50 lbs. overweight and are trying to lose weight for the first time. You start counting calories. Great! One year later you have lost the 50 lbs. Great!

Now perhaps to celebrate, you can finally stop counting calories (unless you really really enjoy counting calories).

I mean after one entire year, you should have learned how much you can eat and how much you can't eat, without the need to count.

if that were TRUE.... regaining the weight wouldnt occur as often as it DOES ;) which is why (from what ive heard, anyways) maintenance is more difficult than actually losing weight.

I wish this were true for me. In 2010 I realized I was at my highest weight, 136 5'6". I started counting calories in a notebook (yes a paper one!) and got down to 114 (this was actually too low but I run a lot of miles). I stopped counting in January 2012 because cmon, I knew what I could eat, I got this! My weight crept up to 138 by mid 2013. Before I got to 140 I knew I had to start counting again. Good habits slowly turned into bad ones with no accountability. This time I used MFP and 15 months later I am 119, 17% bf and have lots of muscle. It works and I'm not going back to being a non-counter.

i think you missed my point, seeing as you just DEMONSTRATED my point.

I know lol I accidentally quoted the wrong quote :-P
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything and enjoy. Numbers don't lie. I feel like I'm not in control when eating at other people's homes or restaurants I think they would look at me funny if I brought my food scale :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cb2bslim wrote: »
    I weigh everything and enjoy. Numbers don't lie. I feel like I'm not in control when eating at other people's homes or restaurants I think they would look at me funny if I brought my food scale :D

HaHa I draw the line at bringing my scales to friends, families places and restaurants.... on those occasions I wing it and hope I'm close.

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Not weighing and measuring your food is like never weighing yourself and just relying on one old pair of jeans to indicate what you weigh. I did that for awhile. I learned that one pair of old jeans can span about 20 pounds.
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I find I can actually eat more by measuring. Prior to that I would overestimate my meals in order to stay under my goal and while I lost weight I was still hungry. Now I'm losing exactly what the app says I will and I feel like I'm eating way more. Plus I've found some serving sizes are bigger than I expected. After all the talk of how little peanut butter is I was underestimating it and now I'm getting way more than expected. Same for ice cream.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not weighing and measuring your food is like never weighing yourself and just relying on one old pair of jeans to indicate what you weigh. I did that for awhile. I learned that one pair of old jeans can span about 20 pounds.

im down 30 pounds and still in the same jeans. im losing all my weight from the waist up! LOLOLOL!

come on body.... work with me.... give me ONE SIZE DOWN.... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ravachu wrote: »
    Personally, I don't see how you can log your food without weighing it but that's probably because I just can't stand to be wrong/inaccurate when it comes to data :) I get a kick out of statistics and trends but not everyone does so I can sympathise with your position. The most important key to losing weight is to find something that works for you long-term so that you can lose the weight and maintain the loss.

I will be weighing and logging food for the rest of my life because I love the sense of control and the 38lbs I've lost doing it so far.

I work with statistics for my job. Data is my life. But I recognize when it's helpful and when it's just a waste of time and effort. Most people don't know their individual, scientifically tested and confirmed BMR, so since we start by using guesstimates, trying to create exact data with an inexact starting point just doesn't make sense to me. I would never do that in my job- so why do it to myself?