Cutting out the sugars

Options
Since filling in the food diary, it seems I eat way less fat than I "should" and way more sugar. (eg 101g, goal 51g) This is almost all natural, in skimmed milk, fresh and dried fruit, parsnips, cabbage (?!) etc, with some in rich tea biscuits, yoghurts etc
Upping my fat intake would just be adding calories for the sake of it, wasting them for no extra gain in my view.
I'm really struggling to see how to reduce this sugar though. I'm keeping under my calorie goal without too much trouble, do I really need to worry?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about your sugar. But depending on how low your fat is, that might be important to boost for things like vitamin absorption, healthy skin & nails, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Having high sugar and low fat (I don't know how low) can be an issue for satiety, so if you aren't hungry it might not be anything to worry about. If you start having trouble it's something you can try changing up.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about your sugar. But depending on how low your fat is, that might be important to boost for things like vitamin absorption, healthy skin & nails, etc.

Yep, what Dianne said. Forget the sugar, but adequate fat intake is actually very important. It's not adding calories for the sake of it.

Just how low it your fat intake on average?
  • Katgan
    Katgan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing when I started logging on MFP. The main culprits were fruit and sweetened coffee. I immediately cut out the coffee because I could not drink it unsweetened and switched to hot green tea. I switched from high sugar fruit to eating only berries and melons.
  • woollyelly
    woollyelly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Yep, what Dianne said. Forget the sugar, but adequate fat intake is actually very important. It's not adding calories for the sake of it.

Should be 30%, currently averaging 19%. After the BBC panorama programme at the beginning of this year, I identified myself as a 'constant craver'. I can eat 2 crackers or a full Christmas dinner, an hour or two later, I'm hungry again! So I've adopted a little and often approach which has been helping to stave off the hunger, but I'm close to my calorie target each day. If I have higher fat foods, I won't feel any fuller but will have eaten more calories and have none left when hunger strikes :open_mouth:
    Perhaps milk is the thing to change? Off to check cals and fat in types of milk.....
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I agree about changing to full fat milk.
    If you are under /at your calorie goal, you are doing fine. But it you are struggling, you can make some adjustments. Maybe cut something to try more veggies that are high fiber like beans, green peas, pears, broccoli, corn, baked potato.
    I find that dried fruit is not filling. Maybe try fresh/frozen/ canned fruit.
    You do need a certain amount of fat in your day to keep the body working.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    woollyelly wrote: »

Should be 30%, currently averaging 19%. After the BBC panorama programme at the beginning of this year, I identified myself as a 'constant craver'. I can eat 2 crackers or a full Christmas dinner, an hour or two later, I'm hungry again! So I've adopted a little and often approach which has been helping to stave off the hunger, but I'm close to my calorie target each day. If I have higher fat foods, I won't feel any fuller but will have eaten more calories and have none left when hunger strikes :open_mouth:
    Perhaps milk is the thing to change? Off to check cals and fat in types of milk.....

Have you tried experimenting with different macros. I think what you are doing is fine if it's working for you and you prefer eating lots of times a day, but for me I only get hungry soon after eating when I eat lots of easy to digest carbs and am kind of low on fat and protein.

However, I also find that higher fat dairy doesn't fill me up any better than lower fat--people react differently. (I suspect this for me is because I rarely eat just dairy, but eat it with other things.)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Fat doesn't fill me up or give me a sense of fullness but it is what keeps me feeling full and satisfied between meals so I'm not always hungry or have that nagging feeling like I can eat more even if I just ate.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to meet your fat and protein goals for awhile and keep your sugar and carbs in check to see how you feel? If it doesn't help you can always go back to what you're doing now. Best wishes.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Here is my Sugar flow chart:

Are you a diabetic?

NO -> Don't worry

Yes -> Talk to your Doctor.
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options

30% of what? 19% of what?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

What makes you say that? More fat will leave you more satisfied for longer than carbs/sugar. Fat and protein are what keep you full and are very important macros. I'd never suggest cutting carbs or limiting sugar unless there's a medical condition to consider, but adding fat is far from adding calories just for the sake of adding calories. You might want to do some research on the benefits of fat in your diet. 19% is pretty low and I think you're resistant to eating more fat without having a valid reason for that resistance.

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Since filling in the food diary, it seems I eat way less fat than I "should" and way more sugar. (eg 101g, goal 51g) This is almost all natural, in skimmed milk, fresh and dried fruit, parsnips, cabbage (?!) etc, with some in rich tea biscuits, yoghurts etc
    Upping my fat intake would just be adding calories for the sake of it, wasting them for no extra gain in my view.
    I'm really struggling to see how to reduce this sugar though. I'm keeping under my calorie goal without too much trouble, do I really need to worry?

No, don't worry about it. Instead focus on consuming plenty of fibre (sweet potato, oats, avocado - good for fat too, nut butters, nuts, etc).
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You could buy plain full fat yogurt (that would both increase your fat and lower the sugar) and add your own berries/fruit. You might find that you develop a taste for it without any added sugars. Or you could add your own. But you will in all likelihood be adding less than what you'd get with a commercial sweetened fruit yogurt.

Edited to add: Increasing your protein intake will help with feeling hungry. Protein has a more satiating effect than carbohydrates. You'll feel fuller longer if you are getting a good amount of protein with each meal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Here is my Sugar flow chart:

Are you a diabetic?

NO -> Don't worry

Yes -> Talk to your Doctor.

nice...and agree
  • ndj1979
    Options

fat
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

This ^^

If you want a balanced diet, then you need to balance out your nutrients. If not, then just worry about calories.
  • woollyelly
    edited March 2015
    Options

What makes you say that? More fat will leave you more satisfied for longer than carbs/sugar. Fat and protein are what keep you full and are very important macros. I'd never suggest cutting carbs or limiting sugar unless there's a medical condition to consider, but adding fat is far from adding calories just for the sake of adding calories. You might want to do some research on the benefits of fat in your diet. 19% is pretty low and I think you're resistant to eating more fat without having a valid reason for that resistance.

Because my hunger is all imaginary, not triggered by genuine digestive system messages. I've had weight loss hypnotherapy which worked like a dream till a really traumatic event, then I gradually went back to how I was before.
    So I know it's not real hunger, but it feels the same and is as hard, if not harder, to ignore. After a full Christmas dinner and pudding, I could soon want more. Or, for a high fat/protein example, a fried breakfast. Hungry a few hours after a restaurant cooked one ie with no regard for calories, probably a full day's allowance in one hit.
    So very little makes me feel really full, and nothing keeps me full. Trying to achieve fullness from the types of food I eat has proved fruitless, it's psychological for me personally.
    So if I swap to full fat cream cheese for instance, it feels like I've had the exact same as if I had the low fat, but it's cost me calories which means there's none left for when I want them later.
    Fat is more calorie dense, so smaller volume of food for the same calories, for someone who's hungry all the time, big problem.
    Before trying to loose weight, I was eating too many calories. No idea if the % of fat and sugars were right. I've found it easy to cut out fat without it feeling like a sacrifice, low fat versions of yoghurt, cheese, milk, cream cheese, mayo, don't like fat on meat anyway. But when even an apple, near the bottom of my list for something sweet, comes in at more calories than a decent choccy biccie and 13g of sugar, I don't know where I could personally stand to cut any more out. Making it bearable makes it so I can stick to it, which, in the long term, might be more important.
    I plan to get some tins of oily fish and try those instead of porridge some days, though it'll mean a tea and biscuits I'll have to miss out on, so we'll see...;)
  • woollyelly
    Options

Do you use this app? It gives you goals of what % of your calories should come from the three macro nutrients and tells you what % you're actually eating. So it should be 30%, but I'm eating 19%.
    Also over on the protein, 27% to recommended 20%.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    if you are set on your ways then why are you even posting this thread?
  • woollyelly
    Options

No, don't worry about it. Instead focus on consuming plenty of fibre (sweet potato, oats, avocado - good for fat too, nut butters, nuts, etc).
    yep, hitting my fibre goal most days. Peanut butter though, 60cals for a measley 10g?! I do occasionally, but that's 3 crackers! lol