which one goes first cardio or strength training?

Options
Hello, i am trying to lose 50lbs. Currently, i am working 5x a week on the treadmill. However, recently i started doing squats and strength training. A few ppl mentioned i should avoid squats n strength training until i lose all the weight i need. I am afraid my skin n butt start sagging. Is this truth?

Replies

• sammik307
    sammik307 Posts: 19
    Options
    No way i would do both
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. If you wanna do squats, do squats. If you wanna do cardio, do cardio. Just be active and consistent.
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think it's beneficial for your body to start using weights. Asap. Squats are a girls best friend.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've found a mixture of strength and cardio to be the most effective training strategy for me. I'm 34 kg down (around 60 lbs?) and don't have sagging skin.
  • sammik307
    Options
    I've found a mixture of strength and cardio to be the most effective training strategy for me. I'm 34 kg down (around 60 lbs?) and don't have sagging skin.

Me too i lost 50 now im stuck of course but both worked for me.. Even if you start small it helps
  • wendyba626
    Options
    sammik307 wrote: »

Me too i lost 50 now im stuck of course but both worked for me.. Even if you start small it helps

So no issue on adding strength training in the beginning of my weight loss? So it's a myth if i start strength training ill look like fat muscular?
  • siurzua
    siurzua Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I did both and the worked together very well! I honestly think that stregth prevents or helps with sagging:)
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    wendyba626 wrote: »

So no issue on adding strength training in the beginning of my weight loss? So it's a myth if i start strength training ill look like fat muscular?

You're very likely going to have regrets if you avoid strength training now, while starting your weight loss (assuming you don't actually loathe the workouts); even if you loathe the workouts, finding a more enjoyable method of strength training is hugely beneficial when someone wants to lose weight.

• wendyba626
    Options
    siurzua wrote: »
    I did both and the worked together very well! I honestly think that stregth prevents or helps with sagging:)

Awesome to know. Thanks!
  • shawnasdaboss
    shawnasdaboss Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and they say best results come from targeted strength training. Muscle will continue to burn calories once your done with workout. Because I have a large amount of weight of weight to lose I combine cardio and weight training. In the past 4 weeks I've lost 19lbs with a healthy diet as well. Mixing both will give you great results!!!!
  • sammik307
    Options
    I dont think i do. It takes a lot and i mean a lot to look like that... You have to build the muscle first and the more muscle you have the more fat youll lose.. I did a lot of cardio for awhile and then a lot of weight lifting.. More so lighter weights and more reps and then mixed it up to 3 days of cardio 3 days od weights and now i do both.. I usually do like a half hour or 3-4 miles of cardio and then about an hour of weights.. Im only doing this because ive hit a wall and just trying to break out of it.. But all depends on what your comfortable with at first and then you decide what is going to be pushing yourself.. No matter what make sure your sweating.. Your not doing much if your not. you want to make yourself work, it doesnt happen over night or even in a month.. Just keep at it. Anything is better then nothing
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1. The chances of you building new muscle while eating in a calorie deficit are HIGHLY unlikely. So, you are not going to "bulk" up.
    2. Up to half (or more if eating extremely low cal) of total weight loss can come from lean tissue. By strength training you can mitigate some of that loss because you are telling you body that the "muscle is important, don't use or get rid of it".
    3. By keeping more of your lean tissue you will keep your metabolism at a higher rate. It's not going to be a really huge difference, but it could be a couple hundred cals a day and I'll take any help I can get.
    4. Strength training should be done by every woman, at any age and any weight. It is good for you. Specifically your bones.
    5. It's really fun.
  • Marz009
    Marz009 Posts: 26
    Options
    as long as your getting in a good work out and not losing weight too fast i dont think you'll have an issue. but you can combine both strength and cardio together as long as you eat right. you could do some strength training and than do 20 or 30 min of cardio. eat right and be consistent you'll look amazing before you know it!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello, i am trying to lose 50lbs. Currently, i am working 5x a week on the treadmill. However, recently i started doing squats and strength training. A few ppl mentioned i should avoid squats n strength training until i lose all the weight i need. I am afraid my skin n butt start sagging. Is this truth?

That is total BS!!

I started out with about 90 lbs to lose. I started lifting 2 weeks after I joined the gym. About 2 years ago I started squatting, with weight. At 188lbs (about 40 left to lose) my legs are solid, and my one rep max squat is 235 lbs. I can squat 175 or so for multiple reps. My booty is NOT saggy.

It is important to start weight training from the very beginning of your weight loss journey. This way you can "recomp" your body--that is, preserve /gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (NOT "turn fat into muscle"). When you get near your goal, you will be happier with your results.

In my case, because of weight training, I look about 30-40 lbs lighter than I actually am! In my younger days, at a size 12, I was about 140lbs or so. I am currently 188lbs and a size 12. Depending on the brand, sometimes I can fit a 10. I have several coworkers who weigh about 5 lbs LESS than me, but wear a size 16.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You do both because they do different things and dont have anyone else tell you otherwise.
    The resistance training you do to try and retain muscle.

In terms of which one first, then you can do a quick warm up with cardio, then strength and then the majority of your cardio. I do strength then cardio, sometimes I mix it up.

The reason to do strength first is because you are lifting weights and need to have proper form, its less forgiving if you are already exhausted from the cardio.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options

I starting strength training before I started cardio. No woman can look 'fat muscular' unless you go all out, full on weight training for hours everyday, with a hint of steroids. We don't have enough testosterone to build that type of muscle, not easily anyway. Do strength training, we need more women in that area of the gym :wink:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    No way i would do both

Punctuation is important, should there be a comma after way?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every second thread in this forum is some variant of weights vs cardio...

Calorie deficit to manage the weight
    CV work to areobic capacity and endurance
    Weights to retain lean mass and improve strength
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

That is total BS!!

I started out with about 90 lbs to lose. I started lifting 2 weeks after I joined the gym. About 2 years ago I started squatting, with weight. At 188lbs (about 40 left to lose) my legs are solid, and my one rep max squat is 235 lbs. I can squat 175 or so for multiple reps. My booty is NOT saggy.

It is important to start weight training from the very beginning of your weight loss journey. This way you can "recomp" your body--that is, preserve /gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (NOT "turn fat into muscle"). When you get near your goal, you will be happier with your results.

In my case, because of weight training, I look about 30-40 lbs lighter than I actually am! In my younger days, at a size 12, I was about 140lbs or so. I am currently 188lbs and a size 12. Depending on the brand, sometimes I can fit a 10. I have several coworkers who weigh about 5 lbs LESS than me, but wear a size 16.

When I grow up, I wanna be like you! Just kidding...but you're seriously amazing! Well done!

To OP,
    This person has it all right. One of the biggest perks of weight lifting is how much fitter you look even without losing as much weight as one may imagine. Besides, it makes me feel like a mean machine when I lift :smile:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I lost the bulk of my weight with zero cardio.

Do what you like and will be consistent with.