Protien powder in oatmeal?

Options
Quest just sent me 2 little packets of protien powder. I've never had protien powder so I don't know what would be the best way to try it.

I was thinking that maybe using it as a flavor to my oatmeal might taste good?

Also, I've heard of adding protien powder and some egg whites to oatmeal- apparently it comes out tasting like a baked good?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    After my workout, I have protein powder made into a shake with almond milk and maybe some fruit. It's delicious.

You can use it however you want to, but many people just make it into a post workout shake. :)
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    After my workout, I have protein powder made into a shake with almond milk and maybe some fruit. It's delicious.

You can use it however you want to, but many people just make it into a post workout shake. :)

Sounds yummy. Does it give it a nice thick consistency? (Like a banana or yogurt?)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It depends. If you use less liquid and more fruit it is thicker. You can also add yogurt, which makes it thicker.
  • paburk1
    paburk1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I add it to my oatmeal all the time. Don't cook it though, the texture turns bad. I mix with a little water then stir it in after it's cooked.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I usually add it to everything. (I buy a vanilla or unflavoured one.)

I add it to my yoghurt, to smoothies, I mix half a scoop with water and use it in place of milk with cereals. And also add a scoop to my oatmeal. It's great.
  • ncastles
    ncastles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Someone please clarify, is protein shakes only specifically when you weight train or can it be post workout drink for any form of training. I predominantly do HIT with a personal trainer and we workout the head to the toes. I figure it's time I look at new post workout options as there's only so much peanut butter or banana one can consume in a lifetime
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    ncastles wrote: »
    Someone please clarify, is protein shakes only specifically when you weight train or can it be post workout drink for any form of training. I predominantly do HIT with a personal trainer and we workout the head to the toes. I figure it's time I look at new post workout options as there's only so much peanut butter or banana one can consume in a lifetime

It's used to supplement protein intake. Nothing more nothing less.

When and how you consume it has no bearing on anything.

The 'post work out' window is a broscience myth.
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder added to oatmeal is wonderful! Add unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon as well. Great way to start the day.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I add unflavored protein powder to my hot cereal every morning if I have hot cereal (oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc), and to my coffee if I don't. You have to add it after it's cooked and cooled a little or it clumps up really badly. Adds a slightly milky taste to the cereal which is really good. I like to cook the cereal in extra water so it comes out soupy, then when the protein powder is added it makes it just the right thickness.

Never ever add it to the milk in your cereal though. Makes it like pouring unflavored yogurt in. Bleh.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I always add protein powder to my oats *after* they're cooked, gives it a bit of extra flavour. I've also been adding egg whites to my oats while they are cooking, makes the texture much fluffier & I find it a lot more filling :smile: