Raw Vegan

Options
I need some friends on here who follow the raw vegan lifestyle. Introduce yourself! What are your stats and goals?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I curious about people eating this way because I honestly don't understand it.
  • ButterflyBrains
    ButterflyBrains Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I curious about people eating this way because I honestly don't understand it.

Okay, I'm always open to these kinds of discussions. What don't you understand about it?
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for a while....I am currently training for a half marathon and have decided to lose some weight (5kgs or so) to help improve my running.....I have started eating a lot more raw foods and have cut out dairy (for other health reasons also). I have slowly been going more raw although will usually have a cooked meal with my family in the eve although it's vegan...I love the raw meals I have tried and have become so much more creative with food!! Last night for example I made zucchini noodles with avocado pesto as per fullyrawkristina on YouTube....it was sooooo good!! Tonight I'm making raw Thai lettuce wraps! Sooo yummy and suprisingly satisfying....I thought I would be soooo hungry but I'm never hungry this way!! I'm sure it's because I'm getting all the nutrients my body needs in their purest form!! I was very bloated for the first couple of weeks but now that's subsided I'm way better...I have so much energy....I'm running way better...faster and longer and losing weight so easily!! I'll still have "cheats" like last weekend was my 30th so I had some birthday cake and a couple of wines but u can afford to do that when u r "good" the rest of the time....I did feel yuck after the cake tho and was excited to eat fresh again after as I just feel so good!! My cravings that I used to have daily for chocolate etc have gone!! Only thing I can't/don't want to give up is coffee!! But I have fresh coffee so I guess that's better than instant!!
    Wow what an essay!!
    Good luck with your journey :-)
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for a while....I am currently training for a half marathon and have decided to lose some weight (5kgs or so) to help improve my running.....I have started eating a lot more raw foods and have cut out dairy (for other health reasons also). I have slowly been going more raw although will usually have a cooked meal with my family in the eve although it's vegan...I love the raw meals I have tried and have become so much more creative with food!! Last night for example I made zucchini noodles with avocado pesto as per fullyrawkristina on YouTube....it was sooooo good!! Tonight I'm making raw Thai lettuce wraps! Sooo yummy and suprisingly satisfying....I thought I would be soooo hungry but I'm never hungry this way!! I'm sure it's because I'm getting all the nutrients my body needs in their purest form!! I was very bloated for the first couple of weeks but now that's subsided I'm way better...I have so much energy....I'm running way better...faster and longer and losing weight so easily!! I'll still have "cheats" like last weekend was my 30th so I had some birthday cake and a couple of wines but u can afford to do that when u r "good" the rest of the time....I did feel yuck after the cake tho and was excited to eat fresh again after as I just feel so good!! My cravings that I used to have daily for chocolate etc have gone!! Only thing I can't/don't want to give up is coffee!! But I have fresh coffee so I guess that's better than instant!!
    Wow what an essay!!
    Good luck with your journey :-)

I'm always inspired by vegan athletes.
    I hope you do well on your marathon!
    Quitting coffee is something I have been wanting to do that for a long time, now. I have decided that I will after I use up my current jar of instant. I am definitely not looking forward to the withdrawls...
    Good luck with your journey, as well!
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow well done you let me know how u get on! Iv tried replacing coffee with other drinks but it's just not the same! Although it wasn't a problem when I was pregnant with my kids!!
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    Wow well done you let me know how u get on! Iv tried replacing coffee with other drinks but it's just not the same! Although it wasn't a problem when I was pregnant with my kids!!

I will, for sure.
    It's not neccessarily replacing coffee, as it is quitting caffein. After a while, you just won't need it for energy, anymore.
  • DrFruity
    DrFruity Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not fully raw but I eat raw till 4pm and love being a high carb low fat vegan... add me if you don't mind a cooked dinner buddy.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I will, for sure.
    It's not neccessarily replacing coffee, as it is quitting caffein. After a while, you just won't need it for energy, anymore.

I'm not vegan at all but I wanted to chime in on the caffeine thing. When I quit sodas, I got the most godawful headaches. Nothing would touch them, no amount of pain killers would help. The best thing that worked for me was tapering off, drinking less every day, and drinking peppermint tea (it's herbal and has no caffeine) to ease the headache. Works wonders. And, like you said, it was awesome to see that my energy level was actually being depressed by daily consumption of caffeine. I have so much more energy when I'm off of it!
  • ButterflyBrains
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DrFruity wrote: »
    I'm not fully raw but I eat raw till 4pm and love being a high carb low fat vegan... add me if you don't mind a cooked dinner buddy.
    I usually wait till the evening to eat my cooked meals, as well. I will definitely add you. :)
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »

I will, for sure.

I'm not vegan at all but I wanted to chime in on the caffeine thing. When I quit sodas, I got the most godawful headaches. Nothing would touch them, no amount of pain killers would help. The best thing that worked for me was tapering off, drinking less every day, and drinking peppermint tea (it's herbal and has no caffeine) to ease the headache. Works wonders. And, like you said, it was awesome to see that my energy level was actually being depressed by daily consumption of caffeine. I have so much more energy when I'm off of it!

That sounds so awful!
    I guess for some people, it's better to ease off slowly. When I quit anything, it works best if I just do it cold-turkey, grit my teeth through the withdrawls, and move on.
    It's how I quit smoking. I tried several times using patches, gums, and easing off. This New Years I finally said, "I will not smoke again after 2014!"
    The month of January was hell, but it gradually got better. It's just what works for me.
  • tlc246
    tlc246 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Christina, I saw your post. 80/10/10 here. I used to use fitness pal for a long time but stopped after I adopted this lifestyle. I'm really only back to get an idea of how much calories I'm consuming, I think it might be on the low end. I'm looking to lose an additional 10-20lbs. and tone up and have a more lean physique. Anyhoo, dropping by to say hi.
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    tlc246 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Christina, I saw your post. 80/10/10 here. I used to use fitness pal for a long time but stopped after I adopted this lifestyle. I'm really only back to get an idea of how much calories I'm consuming, I think it might be on the low end. I'm looking to lose an additional 10-20lbs. and tone up and have a more lean physique. Anyhoo, dropping by to say hi.

Hi, Christina!
    I think we're kind of on the same page. This site can be good and bad, but it is quite useful.
    I sent you a request; maybe we can keep in touch.
    Good luck!
  • nicolehatt86
    nicolehatt86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 of a 12 week %100 raw vegan goal.... I am feeling great so far but I am having a hard time getting protein. I have been learning about this for a few months before jumping right in. It seems like I am taking in a little to much sugar too. But it is all from fruit. I have only added sugar to one thing so far and I only added a pinch. Well, it was nice to meet you! I found that FullyRaw on YouTube is always helpful if you need a recipe and Raw Food Central in Berlin, CT have a nice bunch of people to talk to if you ever need support. Plus their dehydrated onion rings are pretty boss. <3