conventional vs sumo deadlifts?

Options
i always pulled conventional but I notice a lot of people pulling sumo now. any reason why??

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do it because it was more comfortable when my stomach was fatter. I've just never switched over to conventional.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    shorter Range of motion, less shearing force on spine, and you can typically pull more weight.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    There's really no reason to pull sumo unless you are planning on competing in powerlifting.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    There's really no reason to pull sumo unless you are planning on competing in powerlifting.

^.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    shorter Range of motion, less shearing force on spine, and you can typically pull more weight.

You can? You should tell all of those world record holders over the years that they should switch to sumo because they can pull more weight. The top 3 deadlifts of all time were conventional too (1004, 1008, 1015).

To answer the actual question, sumo suits some body types better. That's all.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »

If you have very poor levers for conventional deadlifting and you're prone to low back injuries then that might be a very good reason to switch to sumo.

• SideSteel
    Options
    Sumo deadlifts will generally place your torso in a more upright position. You have a greater amount of knee flexion and a lesser amount of hip flexion in comparison to a conventional deadlift.

Because you have more knee flexion and less hip flexion you'll generally have a relatively harder time getting the bar moving off of the floor but an easier time locking the bar out.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »

You can? You should tell all of those world record holders over the years that they should switch to sumo because they can pull more weight. The top 3 deadlifts of all time were conventional too (1004, 1008, 1015).

Don't forget this guy 1018.5 lbs

Yes, good choice, I was thinking powerlifting specifically, not strongman. Bene did 1016 a few months ago too (also conventional). My only point being: many, if not most deadlift records have been set via conventional. So saying you can automatically pull more sumo is silly at best.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that beginners pull more sumo and by the time you're at a level where you're competing it levels out? (Or conventional then takes over?) I seem to come across the "pull more with sumo" info too.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Yes, good choice, I was thinking powerlifting specifically, not strongman. Bene did 1016 a few months ago too (also conventional). My only point being: many, if not most deadlift records have been set via conventional. So saying you can automatically pull more sumo is silly at best.

Agreed. And for what it's worth Bene freakin MURDERED that lift. Looked like he could have repped it.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    automatically=/= typically... glad my post was able to feed your kanye sized ego tho ;)
  • DopeItUp
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Agreed. And for what it's worth Bene freakin MURDERED that lift. Looked like he could have repped it.

Aye. His barehanded 1015 DL is one of the most amazing lifts I've ever seen. Looks like he's warming up, nevermind setting a powerlifting record that still stands 3 years later.

If anyone hasn't seen it:

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have ambitions in powerlifting to try different deadlifting forms. I basically train all of the deadlifting forms and I do it because each technique works the muscles differently. Sumos work the inner thigh more. Jeffersons train the legs in a completely different way. RDLs are less of a deadlift and more of a hamstring exercise. Conventionals are a must. It's to your benefit to broaden your expertise and really learn how to do all these lifts, improving your experience will make you a better lifter overall.