Sugar free really good for you?

Options
kimark1
kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
I am wondering if sugar free is really any better for you than just having the real deal. I have read some things about sugar free and that sugar alcohols are just as bad as pure sugar. I have bought some sugar free fudge bars and some Werther's candies and to be honest, I am not a big fan of the taste. There seems to be quite an aftertaste. What have you heard about this debate? Thanks for sharing any info.

Replies

• manny_bee
    manny_bee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    im not sure about anyone else, but i literally can not eat sugar substitute in foods. it upsets my stomach so bad it's like taking too many laxatives. i'm pretty sure that if something has that reaction with the body, it's not good for you, but that's just my opinion.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I avoid all artificial sweeteners...they are chemicals and I think they leave a bad taste as well.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Anything in moderation... it's best to just avoid sugar and its' substitutes.
    There's no substitution that's "good" for you. Splenda gives people headaches, aspartame messes with the nervous system, erythritol causes bloating... stevia's okay as far as I know, but it has a taste that disagrees with some people.

I read somewhere that having 4 servings of substitutes should be the max for a day. That would be 4 cans of diet soda, 4 packets of sweet n' low, 4 tsp of stevia, etc.

I would say, as a guideline, avoid it all. Use honey or agave as an occasional treat. But I pretty much consume sugar and its substitutes every day. In my family, it's unavoidable.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    they make my tummy feel weird if i have too much of them, and they dont taste good
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I get headaches and feel icky if I eat something with fake sweetner. That tells me there is something wrong there.

However, tons of people swear by them to cut calories.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've heard anyone else say that artificial sweetners make them feel sick...

Validation that its not just me!! ha! I knew it!
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Unless you have a severe uncontrollable sweet tooth, real sugar isn't bad for you. My attitude is this... a little something sweet made from something grown from the earth or lots of something sweet made from a bunch of chemicals that were never meant to be ingested.(and usually tastes 'not quite right') If you're concerned about the refined sugar use raw sugar. Costs a bit more but you're not going to be using as much sugar right???
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!!! I personally do not add sugar to anything. If I need a little sweetness I use stevia...I like the taste. But I don't even use half of a packet on my cereal. Splenda is made from bleach. Some of the sugar alcohols have laxative affects on the body. Stevia is all natural derived from the stevia plant...but I still don't think you should have unlimited amounts of it. Everyone has their own opinion but do what works for you...if you don't like the taste of something...don't eat it. Too much sugar can cause diabetes...just remember that.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are bad for you. I have half a teaspoon of sugar in my tea/coffee. Many overweight people also have high blood pressure, and sweeteners put your BP up...
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Got to watch when they take the sugar (& fats) out, they are usually adding something to give it flavor. My friend was doing Medical Weightloss, and they told him to do real butter & sugar, sparingly. To stay away from margarine & sugar subs. He swears by it. He says the flavor is so much better & you tend to use less. I'm trying to just stay away from the subs, but it's tough.
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When sugar free is written on something... esp like a dessert it means it was meant for people with diabetes. My grandfather has diabetes and I have to buy food that is sugar free but it doesn't mean that it is healthy for you. In fact, more often than not, it includes more oil and fat that the real thing. Most of the time, the box will say that it is not a diet food.
    Hope this helps!
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    I personally will not touch them. They are used to stimulate cows into over eating to fatten them up. So although they have no calories its still a devil's gambit. My rule is better to stick to foods that have sugar natural, fruit, or when I do indulge it is going to be the real thing. By real I mean real cane sugar not corn syrup. I think it would be wrong to think that because something has honey or cane sugar you can eat every meal or every day but when you do go for that desert, it should be a treat not a compromise.
  • Ljc3
    Ljc3 Posts: 46
    Options
    I use splenda all the time. They say its bad for you- and im not disputing that, because I didnt research. For me, its a matter of pick your poison. Not a drinker, smoker .. Etc. I use sweeteners, and I feel no bad effects. Just sayin...!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!!! I personally do not add sugar to anything. If I need a little sweetness I use stevia...I like the taste. But I don't even use half of a packet on my cereal. Splenda is made from bleach. Some of the sugar alcohols have laxative affects on the body. Stevia is all natural derived from the stevia plant...but I still don't think you should have unlimited amounts of it. Everyone has their own opinion but do what works for you...if you don't like the taste of something...don't eat it. Too much sugar can cause diabetes...just remember that.
    bump