Morning Workouts...

Options
How do people who work out in the morning motivate themselves to get up out of bed and to the gym (or outside or in front of the DVD player, etc.)? I have such a hard time waking up in the morning when the alarm goes off. No matter how prepared I am... clothes set out the night before, bag packed, go to bed early... nothing helps.

Looking for suggestions on how to train my body to wake up earlier....

Replies

• Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I'm not a morning person at all! The big mistake I made at the start was relying on motivation. Motivation isn't always there and relying on it was setting myself up to fail. The only way that worked for me was just doing it. Setting my alarm and not letting myself hit snooze, getting up, going downstairs and exercising. It becomes a habit and does get easier! What also helped at the start was being realistic. I started by getting up 15 mins earlier for a short workout and now I get up 40 minutes earlier. Eventually I want to get up an hour earlier and I'm working towards that. Having a plan and knowing exactly what workout I'm doing helps me too. Now I look forward to it and like exercising in the morning. I have more energy and it sets me up for the day.

In short, you just have to get up and do it and make it a habit. It will get easier. :)
  • eloise80
    eloise80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast after I work out! I just LOVE logging in 200-300 cals of exercise before I start eating- it's motivating! :) Makes me feel better knowing I can eat 1800 cals that day instead of 1500, plus it puts a smile on my face (AFTER... lol) I'm not saying all people should do this- I used to need at least a banana to give me energy, but lately I've really not wanted to eat before moving... to each his/her own.

I know it's hard, but JUST DO IT!

I don't go to a gym, and I stopped running for a while due to back injuries, and this winter was so freakin snowy that I was so lazy I didn't even walk much- but I love DVD workouts nad youtube workouts and boy, you can really sweat at home! Any movement is better than no movement! Even 10-20 min is going to make a difference if you really focus and make those minutes effective. YOU CAN do IT! :)
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know if I don't get it done early, it won't happen. So I just brush my teeth and get to it. I don't stop to check email or read the paper, I just do it. And after about 2 weeks, it became my new habit and it no longer bothered me.

Good luck!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I get up early put on my workout clothes and lace my shoes. I then brush my teeth and then enjoy my coffee. After that I get to it. To me there is no better way to start the day. My workout is done and I am feeling strong and confident for the rest of the day. I go to bed early and repeat.
  • sunnydee216
    sunnydee216 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It will become a habit and the first few weeks are tough! The alarm goes of and I will immediately sit up. This helps wake up the body some days I need to sit there a minute to wake up fully.
    You can play mind games, but it all comes back to the why. Why am I doing this to feel better about me and be healthy. I have been struggling as my body is not changing as quickly as I want it to, but I keep going as I know it will come.
  • kristinablume
    kristinablume Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I always get on Pinterest or Instagram and look at inspiration pics and different exercises before I go to bed. When my alarm goes off I think about what i want to look like. Give it 21 days and it will usually become a habit after that. Just know if you don't wake up and workout you'll regret it later :)

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I'm not a morning person at all! The big mistake I made at the start was relying on motivation. Motivation isn't always there and relying on it was setting myself up to fail. The only way that worked for me was just doing it. Setting my alarm and not letting myself hit snooze, getting up, going downstairs and exercising. It becomes a habit and does get easier! What also helped at the start was being realistic. I started by getting up 15 mins earlier for a short workout and now I get up 40 minutes earlier. Eventually I want to get up an hour earlier and I'm working towards that. Having a plan and knowing exactly what workout I'm doing helps me too. Now I look forward to it and like exercising in the morning. I have more energy and it sets me up for the day.

In short, you just have to get up and do it and make it a habit. It will get easier. :)

This is the truth. If you do it enough (at least 30 days)to make a habit out of it your body will just go into automatic pilot when the alarm goes off....good luck

• newgam03
    newgam03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I heard the best advise once. Even if you don't feel like doing it, do it anyway even if you don't do your best. You don't have to beat yourself up over not doing it and tomorrow is another day.
  • Phyl1963
    Phyl1963 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very true. That's my approach to walking when it's cold out. I have never taken a walk & regretted it. Like many I am not a morning person, but may need to try again. Evenings with family needs can sometimes be difficult to stick to a workout routine.
    Thanks all, the encouragement helps..at 52 the effort to lose some weight needs to be greater
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When I went before work, my motivation was that I'd get to go home after work. I also wore my workout clothes to bed most of the time.

I had to quit because I was getting poor sleep, gaining weight, and developing severe migraines. (I start work at 6:55a, so I'd get to the gym at 4a, workout for an hour, come home, shower, and go to work).
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If I don't do it in the morning it won't get done.

The class I attend every morning is a hard work out, but it's a pretty friendly, supportive environment. Like, if you forget what to do next, someone will always be there to say "Do this thing" but in a friendly way.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I drive pretty far for work so I leave earlier to beat traffic and work out at the gym before going to work which is 10 minutes away. I am there @ 5:30 I have more energy now during the day than I used to.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I kill two birds with one stone. I walk to work, which is 10k away from my place. it might suck if you have to wear nice business clothes, but I can wear whatever I want, so I use to put on my comfy Roshes and walk on :) it was hard to get up earlier, but it is SO worth it! Especially when the sun is shining. you get more out of your day and can enjoy some air and have more energy when you start your day...
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    anothermop wrote: »
    I know if I don't get it done early, it won't happen. So I just brush my teeth and get to it. I don't stop to check email or read the paper, I just do it. And after about 2 weeks, it became my new habit and it no longer bothered me.

Good luck!

This. I struggled so badly for the first two weeks but now it's normal to me. Still hard some mornings, but as the sun is beginning to rise earlier it's easier. If I stopped to look at my phone, I wouldn't move for half an hour. So I literally set my alarm for 6.25, and another for 6.28 at which point I have to get up. By 7 I'm at the gym, and by 8.15 I'm driving to work. I have a ton of motivation right now which is why it's working for me!
  • philasaurus_rex
    philasaurus_rex Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I take a few all natural supplements: motivation, discipline, and action ;)

They help me get my *kitten* outta bed haha
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    All positive change comes from the need to do so. It's okay to "trick" that human spirit in the beginning. Try setting alarm clock on LOUD, then put it opposite side of room. When it goes off, you are up!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I find it harder to drag myself out after work. It snowed yesterday so I couldn't do my walk/run in the morning. It seemed SOOO much harder doing it after work. My alarm is set early so I am up and don't have all the nagging excuses that come up later in the day.(cleaning, dishes, laundry, dinner ect.)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    For years I had my alarm across the room so that I had to get out of bed to turn it off. Now it's next to my bed, but as soon as it goes off I'm out of bed and getting ready.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Oh! I forgot- having a cat that wants to be fed early in the morning helps too. There is no way my alarm can go off an I can go back to sleep.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is easy for me. I am awake before my alarm goes off. I am a morning person. If I waited until after work, I probably would put it off and end up not exercising. Besides, it is really great to get it out of the way first thing in the morning and not have to think about it for the rest of the day. Anything additional (going for walk) is just icing on the cake.