No eating after 6pm

Options
I was chatting with a pensioner down the allotment the other weekend. This chap is skinny and confessed he never had a problem with his weight. He did tell me that he tries to stick to one rule which was never to eat after 6pm. Just wondered if there was any anicdotal evidence associated this rule.

Replies

• karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I eat probably 75% of my calories after 6.30pm. And I have lost 41.4kg... so I say... I don't like or obey that rule heheheh
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Isnt he the anecdotal evidence? If you knew anything about weight loss then you would see the weakness in this idea. Why not try it for a few months and see how you get on with it, meanwhile the rest of us will continue to diet bu ensuring we are at a calorific deficit.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I also eat 75% of my calories at dinner and afterward. I live for nighttime snacking, so I fit it in.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Isnt he the anecdotal evidence? If you knew anything about weight loss then you would see the weakness in this idea. Why not try it for a few months and see how you get on with it, meanwhile the rest of us will continue to diet bu ensuring we are at a calorific deficit.

I will try it and report back. As for my pensioner friend, I can imagine he has always been thin because he is so active.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    but what about evening snacking? :open_mouth:

it'll never catch on :wink:
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    6pm?? I usually don't have dinner until 7 or 8. 6pm seems ridiculously early to me. I've heard this rule about 8pm before, but if I stopped eating at 6 I'd never be able to sleep because I'd be starving.

I always eat just before I go to bed. Usually chocolate. Doesn't seem to have stopped me.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »

I will try it and report back. As for my pensioner friend, I can imagine he has always been thin because he is so active.

I'm pretty sure tigger was being sarcastic about trying it, I don't think (s)he was actually suggesting you do so. You don't need to, all that's needed is a deficit.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Well I'd definitely lose weight as I'd never be able to eat dinner or have evening snacks.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I expect there is something to it. Most people are active during the day, so they aren't likely to eat mindlessly. After 6pm, many people plop down in front of the TV and eat without much thought of how much they're eating. A person who successfully follows the not after six rule isn't guaranteed to lose weight, but would be cutting out the most dangerous time period.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I actually meant they should try it if they believe it has merit and cant see the flaw in it. Sometimes people have to learn and trying it for themselves might be the only way they can make a decision. Telling someone not to do something often has the opposite effect.

I eat about 70% of my calories after 6pm, because it suits me.

I just wonder on what basis and rationale this person says not to eat after 6pm. If he remained skinny it will be to do with him not eating at surplus over time. Not eating after 6 may have helped him achieve that, but not eating before 6pm could also achieve the same for someone elsem even the OP asks for annecdotal evidence, which is no evidence at all and points out there may be other reasons. Its just facepalm.

• fitmama282
    fitmama282 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    6 might be a little early. Maybe 7 or 8 would be good.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    I actually meant they should try it if they believe it has merit and cant see the flaw in it.

Oh right, sorry! Since you said you'd know it was a weak idea 'if you knew anything about weight loss' and to try it while the rest of us are at a calorific deficit it sounded a bit sarcastic to me :P But yeah I agree, only way to know if an idea really works for you is to try it.
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I dont eat after 7pm. I heard you arent meant to eat 3hrs before bed also.. and have been doing this for over a year and it works for me. If i eat after i find ive gained in the morning..

Guess it works for some but not for others i think. Give it a go hun you have nothing to lose x
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care when you eat.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I wonder if your pensioner gets up early and goes to bed early. So six is late in the day for him.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. I can't eat dinner until 9:30 tonight, as with every Thursday, but since I'll still be in a calorie deficit I'll lose.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I dont eat after 7pm. I heard you arent meant to eat 3hrs before bed also.. and have been doing this for over a year and it works for me. If i eat after i find ive gained in the morning..

Guess it works for some but not for others i think. Give it a go hun you have nothing to lose x

I have heard the same thing, don't eat within 3 hours before bedtime. I usually hit the sack at 9.30pm so 6.30pm would be my cutoff time. I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning....(well nearly first thing, nature call :-) ) . So excess food added before bed will just sit in the gut right ?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nope makes no difference to weight loss

If not eating after an arbitrary time makes you stick to your calorie goal easier then go for it

or eat in bed if you want

makes no difference at all
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It has always been CICO. I eat whenever I want as long as it fits my macros.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It's always after 6pm unless it is exactly 6pm...

And when would I get to eat these?
    12282407207.jpg