No eating after 6pm

Options

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific evidence to suggest that eating any particular times aids or hinders weight loss. Your body doesn't just shut down at night.
  • juhishringi
    juhishringi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also read lots of abut not hving dinner erley in the night but not too much erley like 6 pm .it would be 7 to 8 p.m. after thatwe ddon't hv anything... but I can't folow this rule ......
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Last night, at 11pm, I ate a brownie, a serving of beef jerky, some chips, and 5 marshmallow Peeps. I'm losing weight just fine. I've been slim and I've been obese, there was never a time when I didn't eat at night.

Skinny people are skinny because they don't overeat; timing of meals means nothing. People like to point to reasons X Y and Z for why skinny people are skinny, but the truth is, people are skinny because they don't eat as much as fat people, and they move more. Period. There's no other factor to the equation, at least not for the general population. That skinny guy at your work who you watch eating two burgers and fries every day for lunch, he doesn't have a "fast metabolism", he doesn't eat 17 Big Macs as long as it's not after 7pm, he just eats less overall and moves more than someone who eats the same lunch but is overweight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism or weight loss …

i probably get about 1000 calories of my 2250 after 6pm and I am down four pounds on this cut ….
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I dont eat after 7pm. I heard you arent meant to eat 3hrs before bed also.. and have been doing this for over a year and it works for me. If i eat after i find ive gained in the morning..

Guess it works for some but not for others i think. Give it a go hun you have nothing to lose x

why would you not be "meant" to eat three hours before bed?

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    emilyesq wrote: »
    Last night, at 11pm, I ate a brownie, a serving of beef jerky, some chips, and 5 marshmallow Peeps. I'm losing weight just fine. I've been slim and I've been obese, there was never a time when I didn't eat at night.

Skinny people are skinny because they don't overeat; timing of meals means nothing. People like to point to reasons X Y and Z for why skinny people are skinny, but the truth is, people are skinny because they don't eat as much as fat people, and they move more. Period. There's no other factor to the equation, at least not for the general population. That skinny guy at your work who you watch eating two burgers and fries every day for lunch, he doesn't have a "fast metabolism", he doesn't eat 17 Big Macs as long as it's not after 7pm, he just eats less overall and moves more than someone who eats the same lunch but is overweight.

i will disagree with this. I have known many skinny people who ate like pigs and barely moved more than a sloth. perhaps it will come back to bite them some day, but some people, are naturally skinny (not necessarily HEALTHY, but SKINNY).
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If this was true... what happens to 3rd shift workers? Or if I travel into a different time zone?

Some people have stomach issues if they eat too close to laying down, other than that no reason not to. I take my nightly dessert into bed with me and fall asleep pretty shortly after consuming it. I will say only bad time to eat is while sleeping it's a safety hazard.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If this was true... what happens to 3rd shift workers? Or if I travel into a different time zone?

Some people have stomach issues if they eat too close to laying down, other than that no reason not to. I take my nightly dessert into bed with me and fall asleep pretty shortly after consuming it. I will say only bad time to eat is while sleeping it's a safety hazard.

when you go to a different time zone your metabolism reverses itself to compensate …

this is called "reverse metabolism theory of time zone adjustment" < I thought everyone knew that?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

when you go to a different time zone your metabolism reverses itself to compensate …

this is called "reverse metabolism theory of time zone adjustment" < I thought everyone knew that?

I knew I was missing something!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Its all about CICO, doesn't matter what time of day you eat em all :smiley:

That guy was simply skinny because he wasn't over eating. period.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    There is no scientific evidence to suggest that eating any particular times aids or hinders weight loss. Your body doesn't just shut down at night.

Maybe the body doesnt shut down at night which may mean you wake up dead the next morning :-) But I am sure the body goes into sleep mode :-) Makes me wonder what is happening with the digestive tract during sleep mode. I understand the body goes into repair mode and would food in the stomach hinder this in some way.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    no eating when you are over your daily calories. Time of day is irrelevant
  • rigglemanamanda
    Options
    Your body never stops working even at rest, just make sure you don't eat a pile of junk before bed, slow carbs work the best, veggies, air popped popcorn things like that. That way your body is releasing a slow amount of energy through out the night, and you won't want to get up at 2 am looking for a quick fix like chips and ice cream! Been there done that!
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    pssht. Everyone knows the rule is midnight, because...gremlins.

Seriously though, I consume at least 75% of my daily intake after 6pm.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think that is an old myth. I don't get home until 5pm, and by the time I get settled and cook, we don't eat until 6:30 or 7pm. I lost the most weight when I was on 2nd shift actually. Lunch was at 6pm and dinner was at around 11:30pm.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

'cos it sounds all official I shall instantly believe in this and assume it scientifically proven
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Its no eating after midnight. Nice try Spike.

RFYr3uX.gif
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Your body never stops working even at rest, just make sure you don't eat a pile of junk before bed, slow carbs work the best, veggies, air popped popcorn things like that. That way your body is releasing a slow amount of energy through out the night, and you won't want to get up at 2 am looking for a quick fix like chips and ice cream! Been there done that!

I've never resorted to eating junk...

But I enjoy my gelato, cookie or whatever other dessert and haven't had any issues.
  • monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dinner around 5:30pm. Then I have a small snack before I go to bed around 8:00pm. But, that has more to do with the fact that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep with a full stomach. I also eat early because my day starts around 4:30am when I get up.

Plus; wouldn't the time people actually end their day and go to bed, matter so much more than some arbitrary time like 6:00pm?