Alternate for coffee

I'm looking for some suggestions on a food or drink, besides coffee, that will help me with my energy levels. I have a toddler that keeps me awake half the night about 2-3 nights a week. I've done a great job giving up coffee and need an alternative for those few days I don't have enough energy for. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Yerba Mate? Much like coffee but not coffee:
    http://guayaki.com/mate/130/Yerba-Mate.html
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    What's wrong with coffee?
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Green Tea?
  • emilytimeidie
    emilytimeidie Posts: 8 Member
    Is it because you're adding too much sugar, milk or creamer into your coffee? Because I would suggest not getting rid of coffee, but whatever you add into it.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 2015

Same question for me. Or more specifically, what do you find wrong with coffee that makes you want an alternative? Because I have it regularly and have no desire or need to seek out an alternative.
  • cpate44
    cpate44 Posts: 2 Member
    I suggest you give "matcha" green tea a try. It will boost your energy level, is not as strong tasting as some have said, you can drink it hot (like coffee) or cold. I simply add about a teaspoon to a 20oz water bottle and if you need some sweetner, just a touch of honey will do. A small canister can be a little pricey, but you use so little at a time, that it will last a while. Just look up matcha in whatever search engine you are using to see the benefits and good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Green tea, black tea, diet soda, even sugar-free red bull:) I love iced coffee on a warm afternoon, but to each his own, I guess. Oh, and Crystal light makes an energy powder, it comes in strawberry and is really yummy. You just put the packet in a bottle of water and shake.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2015
    I have tried siberian ginseng tea before and that helped alot, also clears your head if feeling a bit foggy from staying up all night with my 10 month old.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

This is my question...coffee is delicious & keeps those around me alive
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Do you have a reason for giving up coffee? Why find an alternative? Love my coffee. Don't touch my coffee!

If you have some sort of reason for giving it up, then it's hard to suggest if we don't know why. I could suggest tea, but if caffeine is the problem, then it wouldn't be a helpful suggestion.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    I will reiterate what everyone else has said or asked, what is wrong with coffee and why give it up. Coffee alone has few calories, it is all the other that is added that makes it higher in calories. Also, I know a quick brisk walk is some times all I need to keep me going for the rest of the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

This is my question...coffee is delicious & keeps those around me alive

i want to know this too ….
  • Crystal Light energy has been a God Send for me, I use 24 oz of water instead of the 16 oz bottles, last longer!!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    cpate44 wrote: »
    I suggest you give "matcha" green tea a try. It will boost your energy level, is not as strong tasting as some have said, you can drink it hot (like coffee) or cold. I simply add about a teaspoon to a 20oz water bottle and if you need some sweetner, just a touch of honey will do. A small canister can be a little pricey, but you use so little at a time, that it will last a while. Just look up matcha in whatever search engine you are using to see the benefits and good luck!

Green tea with sweetener? Ew.

Green tea black, especially Matcha, brewed with water that is about 80C (175F) is beyond amazingly good. Why ruin it with sweeteners?

Then again, I ask the same thing with coffee, but the answer to that is probably due to the person drinking crap coffee.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    edited March 2015
    My wife bought me a sign like this. It's hanging up behind my coffee maker at home.
    give-me-the-coffee-and-no-one-gets-hurt.jpg

On a more related note: coffee has 0 calories and no real impact on your nutritional intake for the day, so why give it up?
    If you must give it up, I've enjoyed some of the water additives like Mio Energy. Gives you a little boost, tastes pretty good, and 0 calories.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Try herbal tea's ;)
  • lishie_rebooted

Green tea black, especially Matcha, brewed with water that is about 80C (175F) is beyond amazingly good. Why ruin it with sweeteners?

Then again, I ask the same thing with coffee, but the answer to that is probably due to the person drinking crap coffee.

Some cultures add cream/sugar to their tea.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member

What cultures are you talking about? That person is from Michigan.

I tried green tea with things added to it. It was nasty as heck. I believe adding sweetener to tea isn't because of culture, it's because of a sweet tooth.
  • lishie_rebooted

What cultures are you talking about? That person is from Michigan.

I tried green tea with things added to it. It was nasty as heck. I believe adding sweetener to tea isn't because of culture, it's because of a sweet tooth.

He lives in MI.
    Doesn't mean he's from there.

I've got coworkers from Pakistan and India who add cream and sugar to their tea.
    They live in the US now.
    So dude in MI could be from overseas.