minimal excercise ability

Options
amyllu
amyllu Posts: 432 Member
I just wondered how many others are unable to do the massive exercising routines that are being logged on here.
It is very frustrating not to be able to do all that stuff which I used to do only a few years back.
I would be able to do an hour and a ahlf step routine, go swimming twice a week, an hour in the gym twice a week, not to mention the gardening on my allotment.
Many people will advise me on what I "should" be doing without realising my situation and I can assure you I often feel like screaming because I am unable to do much at all.
I have, however, changed one thing in that I will on a good day walk round the store when shopping and lean on a trolley rather than using one of the mobility scooters.

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can, and work your way up slowly. It sounds like you have some sort of injury/condition that makes it harder for you to exercise, so obviously the bar is set different for what you are trying to accomplish. Don't measure your success by what others can do. Measure it by your own goals.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Any progress is good progress!
    My own grandmother has a hard time getting around, and she was never active to begin with so it's especially hard on her. She tries water aerobics, and it's helped her mobility a lot. She's able to feel much freer underwater, and it's much easier on her joints than other exercise.
    Keep persevering! I know it can't be easy, but you're 30 pounds closer to your goal and have made steps towards a healthier lifestyle.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I have been sick until just recently and I am not as young as I used to be, so I can't workout strenuously. I just do what I can and don't compete with anyone except myself. I make sure I get some form of 'planned' exercise each day even if someone else would just laugh and say why bother? For me, the proof is in the results and I am happy with mine and some people (not all) who workout 5x harder than me are NOT seeing any weight loss. So experiment and do what works for you.
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    Hi Amyllu,
    My goodness! Give yourself some credit! You have lost 30 pounds even with your disability! Congratulations! Given your age and other factors you have to be realistic. How about walking a little further each time or doing some of those exercise routines that you can do while sitting in a chair? Just google "chair exercise routines" and you will find a bunch of links. There are also some wonderful youtube videos of chair exercising. You can do it! Good luck to you!
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise right now due to a problem with my hip joint, being operated on in just over 3 weeks time so I can't do any exercise like most of the people on here. It's very frustrating sometimes to see so many people able to work out for hours and sometimes I can't even walk the stairs in my house!
    I'm managing to lose weight by eating healthy and you've already lost a ton of weight by doing what you've been doing!
    You can work your way up slowly if you think you need to do more exercise but do these things for you, not because someone else wants you to or says you should do it this way.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You've lost 30 pounds so you're doing something right! I have some joint issues and am unable to do the jumping around and running or even walking too far right now so I know what you're going through to a point. I have serious arthritis in my knees. I've been using a stationary bike and walking. I can't walk far, so like you, I go to the store and take a cart (trolley) and walk around the store. I've also just been given some therapy exercises for my knees and will start water therapy next week.

Dragonbug300's suggestion for water aerobics or water exercise is a good one. Many places have seniors water classes at rec centers for little or no cost. See what's in your area. Best of luck and add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am limited too. If you can, an exercise ball is a great option. Keeps pressure off of your legs and somewhat your back. You can work up to small free weights as you learn to balance. Search online for how-to's. You can also do "purposeful" stretches and arm work. By purposeful I mean in a peaceful atmosphere completely focus on each muscle you are using. Slow motions that make your muscles pay attention. I'm not sure how many calories it burns exactly as I throw in some light yoga also. I find I have to change things up or I get bored. Sending happy, healthy thoughts your way.
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You do what you have time to do. Many people do not have a lot of time to squeeze in exercise so any exercise that you can get in is going to be better than none at all. Good luck!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I can't compete with the big workouts either,,,,,,wish I could. I sure hope to log in as big of a weight loss as you some day.......soon would be nice :-)
  • jacsen21
    jacsen21 Posts: 20
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I just wondered how many others are unable to do the massive exercising routines that are being logged on here.
    It is very frustrating not to be able to do all that stuff which I used to do only a few years back.
    I would be able to do an hour and a ahlf step routine, go swimming twice a week, an hour in the gym twice a week, not to mention the gardening on my allotment.
    Many people will advise me on what I "should" be doing without realising my situation and I can assure you I often feel like screaming because I am unable to do much at all.
    I have, however, changed one thing in that I will on a good day walk round the store when shopping and lean on a trolley rather than using one of the mobility scooters.
    Good for you
  • jacsen21
    jacsen21 Posts: 20
    Options
    Congrats on what you have achieved already! Just do a little at a time, I have read that small increments of exercise are beneficial. Three ten minute increments will add up to 30 minutes. Just pace yourself, don't over do it, and most of all be proud of what you have achieved.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* Yup. I feel your frustration on that one. I desperately want to run, but have bad knees due to a birth defect. I haven't been able to run since I was 13. I just do what I can and know that even though it might not be much to some people, it's better than sitting on my rump feeling frustrated.