How to Stop Eating Out of Boredom?

Options
I always eat when I'm not hungry, due to it being a habit, or I eat when I'm bored. I looked up many ways to stop it and control it but it doesn't seem to go away no matter what I do. They especially turn into binges at night.
I wouldn't call it emotional eating, but just eating whenever I'm bored and eating for joy instead of hunger, which is not a good thing for weight loss. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that worked for you when it comes to emotional eating? Thanks.

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Actively seek out some hobbies / activities to keep from being bored too often? Not an emotional eater myself, but I still find when kept busy (especially with something that is enjoyable or at least entertaining if not engrossing) other bad habits tend to recede.
  • smashster
    smashster Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is hard for me too. I've been trying to portion things out to prevent a binge. And not resisting a sweet tooth but instead having a small option like dove chocolate (or 3 lol). It is a struggle everyday for me. Some days I lose the battle but try to not beat myself up over it and start fresh tomorrow. Portion control has been a huge help, and log it before I eat it. It's an eye opener to see how many calories some things are. If I see that my willpower has some backup. :-)
  • MonicaSmith98
    MonicaSmith98 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a lot and staying out of the kitchen.
  • be_here_now
    be_here_now Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Water. Not constant, just enough to sip on throughout the day. Sugar-free gum. And things that you can do with your hands. I'm hugely fixated on doing things with my hands, and usually that would lead to me consuming something. However, I've gotten more into crafting lately, and have been doing things like pixel art, painting, candlemaking, soap making, etc, to distract myself. So... I don't eat out of boredom, AND I get pretty things out of it! Win/win.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I chew fruit flavored gum, I drink water or tea, or I do something else for ten minutes to dissipate my hunger.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me, don't let yourself snack at times you are prone to eat for boredom or other non-hunger reasons. Don't have the kinds of foods you snack on easily available at the place where you can do it, if you can avoid it. When you feel like it either snack on something low cal (carrots or something like that) or actively do something else. I used to journal, but really anything that will either distract you or force you to be analytical about it.

It's a habit, so you just have to break it.
  • neurex
    neurex Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Obsessively check myfitnesspal.com forums. Also waste a lot of time counting every single calorie and check the nutrition information that other people have put, because if you steal several Gerber Graduate puffs from your baby and you find out that the nutrition information is exactly the same as what other people have put EXCEPT the servings, you NEED to figure out how they went from 86 pieces per serving to 60 pieces per serving while keep the nutrition information the same even though the packaging looks the same (suggesting that the size of the puffs have not changed). It does not matter that there is only a difference of half of a calorie because you only ate 4 puffs! You must spend at least 2 hours looking into it.

Logging your food before you eat it might help. Or get a job. Can't find a job? Get paid 20 cents an hour on Amazon Mechanical Turk. Don't qualify? Volunteer.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My husband called me an old lady but I recently decided to try to learn to crochet partly because of my night time cravings. Like be here now said, I like I can actually get something out of it. So far I have a scarf for my daughter and starting one for my son.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My husband called me an old lady but I recently decided to try to learn to crochet partly because of my night time cravings. Like be here now said, I like I can actually get something out of it. So far I have a scarf for my daughter and starting one for my son.

In winter I knit on the couch. The only thing allowed near me during this time is a cup of tea or a water bottle. The fear of greasy fingers from food ruining your project is a great way to not want food near you to be even able to eat it!
  • oreo_whore
    oreo_whore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    suck on lollipops
    drink diet soda or black coffee
    take up smoking (don't do this)
    eat popcorn or vegetables
  • SaraD72
    SaraD72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. My tough times are when my girls get home from school and start eating, that triggers me to want to eat too. I try to go outside and walk around my yard, or like others said, find something to do to keep my mind off of food. It's hard, but with practice, we can do it.
  • althtnmore
    Options
    I am a bored eater and my big problem is I work third shift. When I get home I go on a food rampage. Also, whem I feed my boys dinner. And they waste it, I have a tendency to finish off their meals for them.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Boredom = time for me to hit the gym or take the dog for a long walk.
  • Miss1Bec
    Miss1Bec Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have cup of tea as it usually fills me up and prevents me binge eating
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth often
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options

In winter I knit on the couch. The only thing allowed near me during this time is a cup of tea or a water bottle. The fear of greasy fingers from food ruining your project is a great way to not want food near you to be even able to eat it!

I've taken up both of these! It is satisfying when you finish a project as well! I have definitely got more craftier. I make my own Christmas/Birthday cards, I did stray into jewelry but it got expensive...
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I always eat when I'm not hungry, due to it being a habit, or I eat when I'm bored. I looked up many ways to stop it and control it but it doesn't seem to go away no matter what I do. They especially turn into binges at night.
    I wouldn't call it emotional eating, but just eating whenever I'm bored and eating for joy instead of hunger, which is not a good thing for weight loss. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that worked for you when it comes to emotional eating? Thanks.

Stop getting bored, find something to do. Something that involves going outdoors might be best, away from the kitchen. Eating for joy is definitely emotional eating by the way, joy is an emotion.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat only at the kitchen / dining room table. That way, you learn that food is food for the body and brain's nourishment,
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Me too, I eat when I'm bored. I always make sure I have enough calories for a small snack after tea. I have a cup of tea as well, I have been know to sit there and say 'your not hungry your bored' lol. I also do cross stitch to help keep my hands busy, this takes my mind off of food :smile:
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Eat only at the kitchen / dining room table. That way, you learn that food is food for the body and brain's nourishment,

And to put a finer point on it: Don't eat in front of the TV, computer, iPad, etc. Focus on your food when it's time to eat and make an effort to eat slowly.