Lift/lift&cardio/cardio........help please

Options
I never ever go to the gym. Around three weeks ago I joined gym and told them I want to loose around two stone and get fit. So they put me on welders big but boring programme (lifting).

Loads of people are telling me you should just lift and you will loose loads of weight, others are saying cardio and lifting then others are saying cardio. What is the best thing to do??

Replies

• Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    A combination of both along with a nutritious diet and proper rest is best.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The best thing? A calorie deficit.

It doesn't matter what you do if your diet isn't on point.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every second thread in this forum is some variant of weights vs cardio...

Calorie deficit to manage the weight
    CV work to areobic capacity and endurance
    Weights to retain lean mass and improve strength
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    There is no one answer to your question that will be right for everyone - so you will need to find your own best answer. BUT the posters above are on the right track with their guidance. If you want to lose 2 stone, you need a calorie deficit - and most of it will need to come from food restriction. You can burn more calories with cardio - and if you have not been getting any exercise - it often gives you more of an energy boost which helps with your goals. Weight training is very important to keep you from losing muscle mass while you are taking off weight. When you live in a calorie deficit, the body can get rid of fat and or muscle and usually does get rid of both but you can shift that balance to a higher fat to muscle ratio by lifting weights. This is important because if you lose muscle, your basic metabolic rate starts to decline at a much more rapid rate. You will need fewer calories to just exist - you see the problem here.
    -
    So calorie deficit - but get some cardio for your heart health and energy levels and also possibly to help you keep your calorie intake high enough for mental survival (it is really tough to stay at 1200 cal for some) - and get weight lifting in to help retain muscle mass. You cannot really add muscle mass in any significant way while losing weight - but retaining is important. Hope it helps and good luck
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, a caloric deficit. Lifting will help you retain muscle mass, while losing. Cardio will help the caloric deficit and your health.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and eat at a deficit. You might be better off using a tape measure and body fat calipers than the scale.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies I will take it all on board. Really appreciate it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As has been said dozens of times in threads just like this one, there is no "best".

Diet to lose weight, exercise for health, fitness, strength, etc. How much lifting you do vs how much cardio should be based on goals and personal preference.
  • slimmingqueen31
    slimmingqueen31 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I lost 11.2% body fat and 3lbs in 10 weeks with weight training, do what the pt says us girls are just as good as the blokes at lifting honestly i never thought i would ever go near a squat rack now i give my boyf a run for his money lol good luck x
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Think I need a lot of work on my squat. Feel like my leg muscles are very week. I struggle doing 10 squats with no weight lol. Thanks
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    For me personally when I first started I was doing heavy cardio with very little weight training and getting some results but very slowly. Once I moved to a 50/50 cardio + weight training regimen is when the pounds and body fat really started to fall off me.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Thanks I think I'm going to do that