Having a hard time fitting in workouts.

Options
So I've been maintaining succesfully for about a year now.
I'm not doing such a great job both with my food or workouts, but I'm hanging in there.
I used to work out 6 time per week, but since I started working full time, it's just not happening. During the week I'm absolutely exhausted, as I'm out of the house for around 13 hours a day (including commute), so I end up working out only twice a week, on weekends.
Maybe it's because it's winter, maybe it's because I recently went through a breakup and haven't been in the best mood. I just know I want to work out more! Until the second I actually get home.
Any advice on how to have the energy to work out after a 13-hour day, when I don't actually have a "goal" I need to get to?

Replies

245112 Posts: 13
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a BRISK WALK for 30=45 minutes after dinner. Or skipping jump rope for 15 minutes with a break half way (lots of fun), finish up with jumping jacks or lunges..Just think how great you will feel, don`t let the break up win. Keeping hopeful for you.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Workout DVD's out now that are only 20 minutes long that you can fit into your schedule. Jillian Michaels Body Shred is one of them. Or as mentioned above, go for a walk after you eat.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I started setting my alarm 45 minutes earlier and doing cardio in the mornings because I was having a hard time fitting everything in. Although the first week of doing that sucked, because I love my sleep, it has really made a difference. I tend to feel more energized at work, and I make better fitness or eating-related decisions throughout the day because I started out the day on a strong note.

Plus, if something comes up later that day to interfere with the rest of my workouts (since I still like to do resistance training or other more intensive cardio training in the evenings some days out of the week), I at least know that I accomplished some exercise that day, however casual.

If I am having a hard time motivating myself to work out after work, I just don't give myself the opportunity to think about it. I'm freakin' persuasive, and I can talk myself out of a workout in no time, if I give myself the opportunity. So I don't; I eschew the couch, the computer, etc, and as soon as I walk in the door, I put my workout gear on and start setting up. If I can get that far, I very rarely welsh on a workout. (I also usually have a snack in there somewhere, but if I'm feeling draggy and inclined to skip the workout, I wait until I have my gear on, which seems to help, psychologically).
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I started taking my gym clothes with me to work. I left them in the car, in the drivers seat. When I left work, even if I really didn't want to go, opening the door and seeing my gym bag for some reason made me want to go again. I also put a picture of me before I started exercising on my dashboard, so it is a constant reminder of what I don't want to become again. That motivated me enough. LOL I would maybe do soemthing similar - place workout clothes and a picture of your before in a place that you frequent often, so you get that reminder.

As far as the breakup - channel any emotions you have into fueling your workouts. I know that is something that is said all the time, but - it works. Use it as the motivation to succeed!

You've got this!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Not saying that this will happen to you, but complacency--in not having to work towards a goal--is what always bites me when I try to maintain. You're going through a rough patch, sure, but you need to get your motivation back. Is there a gym at work? As the weather is starting to get nicer, can you take workout gear and get a walk/run in during lunch time?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to put in a dvd the night before, and do it first thing in the morning. No matter what, you've got that done, before anything else can happen in your day. If you squeeze in a walk or another workout after work, bonus:)
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning before work because that's where I can make the time and because I'm too done in at the end of a work day to focus on my workout. This means I have to get out of bed at 430 am, which sucks *kitten*, but it's how I make time. On top of my morning lifting sessions, I try to take in one or two evening yoga classes every week. It's something I can usually scrape up the energy for after a work day because it's also a good release from the everyday stressors.

Toward the end of Feb and early March, winter started to take its toll. It did get harder to get moving out the door to get to the gym and I was so tired of cold and snow that walking the dog outside became a non-option(good thing she knows how to use a treadmill). Now that spring seems to be on the way, it's going to get easier, I hope. I do feel your pain of the winter blues.

Maybe 6x per week is too much? Try to find a number that works better for you. I try to get 2-3 mornings of lifting in during the work week and at least once on the weekend. I know if I push myself to try to get to the gym every workday at 5am, I'll burn out so, that's my happy medium. I then do the yoga and walk the dog(when I'm not hating on winter), which is activity, but not a formal "workout" in my mind.

I am also pretty much in maintenance. I could lose 5 vanity pound yet, but it's not my focus this year. It is a bit tougher without those scale goals to work towards and congratulate yourself for, so I had to set new goals. My goals this year are related to fitness rather than weight loss...am I getting stronger, am I able to lift more, improve my form, do a pull-up, etc. It's important to have something measurable to work toward. You don't say what your workouts consist of, but whatever they are, set some goals in relation to them...run farther, run faster, lift heavier...whatever. Then track that and congratulate yourself on progress.

• Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Congrats on maintaining!
    I also have long word days and no energy for workouts - this is why I work out very little so can't really give you tips!
    - Working out twice a week already sounds pretty good to me so well done!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Can you set a goal for yourself? Certain number of miles you want to cycle/run or a weight you want to lift or a race you want to enter? I'm not the only one to find that setting a fitness goal is really helpful. Any way you can work out during the day? Even a 30-minute walk on your lunch break? I agree that this winter has been tough, but it's finally over.
  • kss1231
    kss1231 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I deliberately joined a gym that was on my way home from work because I knew once I got home I would not want to go back out. I also have a very long day, leave the house at 4:30 and I don't get back home until around 6.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I started setting my alarm 45 minutes earlier and doing cardio in the mornings because I was having a hard time fitting everything in. Although the first week of doing that sucked, because I love my sleep, it has really made a difference. I tend to feel more energized at work, and I make better fitness or eating-related decisions throughout the day because I started out the day on a strong note.

I was just about to write that. :) Grab some "gogo" juice if you need to but get that booty outta bed early and get it done. Coffee.gif
    My trainers call it the Booty Call. Get up early and go for a run/walk or do some cardio. Not only do you get your workout in, you feel much better too. You can do it! party0011.gif

• Noamsh
    Noamsh Posts: 79 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice!
    If anyone's wondering - I am currently doing my third round of Insanity (that's why I used to workout 6 times a week), it's just taking a bit longer.. :p
    Also, I do around 45 minutes of walking everyday - to and from the train, but I don't consider those walks a workout.

Since I'm doing Insanity, setting a goal is hard - it's just about getting it done the best way I can. So longer runs/heavier weights aren't relevant.

Morning workouts won't happen since I'll wake up my family with all the jumping.
    And at night, well.. I can't do it the second I get home since I am starving, and a couple of hours later I'm pretty much asleep already.
    (I know it sounds like excuses, but that's the way it is).

Again, thank you for the advice, I really appreciate, and if anyone has any more ideas on how to energize myself at night it would be very helpful! :blush:
  • 19wilson88
    19wilson88 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If being hungry after work is keeping you from exercising, why not have a carby snack (an apple, carrot sticks, etc) about an hour before you'd like to be working out? When I have exercise planned after work, I make sure I have my snack. It really helps! Or, if you can't eat at work, can you bring a shake to have on your way home?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have to work out after work, also. Most days I'm gone about 12 hours including commute time. I also have animals to take care of and a two teenage boys that still live at home to cook for, etc. It is hard.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Noamsh wrote: »
    So I've been maintaining succesfully for about a year now.
    I'm not doing such a great job both with my food or workouts, but I'm hanging in there.
    I used to work out 6 time per week, but since I started working full time, it's just not happening. During the week I'm absolutely exhausted, as I'm out of the house for around 13 hours a day (including commute), so I end up working out only twice a week, on weekends.
    Maybe it's because it's winter, maybe it's because I recently went through a breakup and haven't been in the best mood. I just know I want to work out more! Until the second I actually get home.
    Any advice on how to have the energy to work out after a 13-hour day, when I don't actually have a "goal" I need to get to?

check this out... http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/03/09/why-exercise-is-the-least-important-part-of-the-equation-and-a-camp-nerd-fitness-update/
    “Exercise is an additive habit, whereas diet changes are substitutive.”

What does that mean? Well, if you want to start exercising, then you probably think you have to do the following:

Spend money to sign up for a gym.
    Remember to pack a gym bag.
    Change clothes from regular clothes to gym clothes.
    Get off the couch and go exercise instead of watching more Netflix.
    Spend time exercising instead of doing other things.
    All of these changes are new habits that need to be added to an already hectic life.

now, like some others have said, you need to hit the gym either before, or after work. i personally am an early morning kind of person, so i set up all my stuff the night before- i set up the coffee pot, pack my breakfast and lunch, put my work clothes in my gym bag if i'm going to a gym, and lay out my exercise clothes so that i can roll out of bed, pour a cup of coffee, spend 20 minutes drinking it and getting dressed and out the door before i realize what i'm doing. avoid sitting on the couch and watching the news, as it'll take longer to wake up.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    How are you doing on your caloric intake? If you are keeping those under control, your 2 days a week should be ok to still lose weight.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible commute, roughly 12 or 13 hour day. I used my lunch break at work for a half hour walk. I packed fruit, veggies, yogurt for quick bites at my desk. That was the best I could do.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I also walk on my lunch breaks.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    There are chair exercises that you can do (i.e. butt clenches, core exercises, etc.). I go to the gym on my lunch breaks as well, but I've heard about these exercises. Just a thought. :D
  • cdlee05
    cdlee05 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    - A one hour workout is 4% of your day.
    - There's always time, it just might not be the time you prefer.

That being said, I understand the time constraints of family, work and other obligations. Love Insanity, just keeping pushing play everyday!