Lunch ideas when working away

Options
beccalucy
beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
I work away all week touring schools and staying in various budget hotels which don't have a fridge etc. Schools I work in are supposed to provide lunch but since Easter none have so I need ideas of lunches I can take with me, are transportable and won't go off!

Currently I tend to rely on cereal bars but I'm bored of them and they aren't a substantial lunch really.

Thank you

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You don't need a fridge. I have an insulated lunch bag, and I throw and ice pack in there. My food stays cold all day. (Well, if you are in a hotel, you might not be able to keep an ice pack, but you could probably throw some ice in a baggie... most hotels have ice machines somewhere around.)

Do you have access to a microwave or a toaster oven?
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana sandwich. You can bring along apples and baby carrots to round it out.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Fruit, carrots, tomato, avocado, raw potato that you can microwave, oatmeal ditto, cans of tuna, baked beans, dry crisp breads or rice cakes, frozen quiche that you can eat for dinner when it has thawed? Depends if you have access to a microwave or toaster really, or can you go to local shops wherever you are staying and get some fresh stuff from a deli? It is difficult sometimes, finding healthy transportable food. I am commuting three hours a day, so have to take lunch with me, but eat at home each night.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This is the problem, I'm away Sunday night - Friday night with no microwave etc. Think it may come down to searching for local shops and prepackaged salads etc
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    This is the problem, I'm away Sunday night - Friday night with no microwave etc. Think it may come down to searching for local shops and prepackaged salads etc
    Oh that makes it really difficult! I would definitely to the local shops - maybe you can google where you are going and see what's available? You could always take some low-fat dressings to put on the pre-packaged salads so you avoid the ones that already have dressing. Good luck :smile:
  • Misschameleon
    Options
    Hi Becca, I have the same problem. I started to go to a local supermarket after work every night to get a pasta lunch (good for afternoon energy) for the next day. Or a sandwich. The good thing is that going at that time, they are often reduced. Check the fridge situation though. I was staying at a Holiday Inn Express with no fridge and then on my very final week had a room with a fridge in. Could have kicked myself!
  • lillykate9
    lillykate9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try bringing s big cooler for your hotel room and keep it packed with ice? Tht would make it easier to have food on hand
  • imicklea
    imicklea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, cooler with ice and then you refresh the ice depending on how hot it is outside. Hubby and I do that when we go on driving trips and ice is fairly cheap