Vegetarian Protein

Hello all,
I'm a vegetarian who never seems to hit her daily protein goals and is looking for high-protein vegetarian foods (exclude dairy & eggs please!)

Replies

• I use protein bars as my breakfast for a nice hit at the start of the day, and then I use protein rich meat replacements like Lifelight Beefless Grounds, and also lots of mushrooms, for many of my meals. Typically I get 9g for breakfast, 26g at lunch and 57g for dinner, if I'm having my standard meals.
  • jdecker32356
    jdecker32356 Posts: 8 Member
    You probably get this a lot, but beans and lentils are some of the leanest proteins out there. I recommend starting breakfast with old fashioned oatmeal, as it has a low GI and a solid amount of protein. Tofu has more fat in it but also has a lot of protein. Also soy milk has a lot of protein, 7 grams for 8 fl oz at 80 calories with only .5 g of saturated fat (the bad kind). Also maybe look into changing your macros, because if your protein percentage of daily intake is set high it might be making it impossible to hit.
  • matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    I would honestly just go with a blended mix of vegetables. Spinach, spirinula, kale, ect. all have sufficient protein. If you want to make a meal with a more solid source though, I would really recommend tempeh. It is a fantastic source of complete protein (comparable to chicken breast), is high in calcium, fermented (which makes digestion easier as a probiotic), and contains mono and polyunsaturated fats. Other potential could be sources chia seed, nutrirional yeast, and pretty much any whole grain (provided that you pair it correctly for a complete amino profile)

Best of luck :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    There are some good suggestions in this thread. I would also recommend seitan. You can purchase it (which can be good, but pricey) or make your own.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Edamame is good! I've recently discovered how tasty it is!
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    I'm sure you know that there is protein in many non-animal products. I was a vegetarian for 14 years, vegan for six of those. Now I do some chicken and fish. But I will say that what I found most helpful was FIRST trying to eat more of the non-animal products that are high in protein and then SECOND realizing the protein requirements are set for and by meat-eating people. Read John Robbins and Colin Campbell books.
  • PJR1985
    PJR1985 Posts: 14
    Edamame, nutritional yeast, plant based protein powders, nuts, legumes
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2015
    The only way I can hit my protein is to cut out rice/bread/cereal so that I have room in my day for beans, lentils, chick peas, tofu, almonds, chia seeds, parmesan cheese, kale, broccoli, hemp seeds.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    I would recommend doing a bit of research on what seitan actually is, as some people would suggest its not good for you.
  • sophiegriffiths1
    sophiegriffiths1 Posts: 2 Member
    I use protein powders, milk and bars. Also try and have an egg and quorn chicken pieces with every meal and a natural unsweetened yoghurt for breakfast.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Seitan is full of protein, has a lot of sodium though. You can make your yen though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    ad149dea61f730d7fffbdc95bd602b08.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I see seitan is wheat gluten, lol.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Black bean spaghetti made by Explore Asian (25g protein/serving) I love it.
  • scaryg53
    If you don't have a gluten intolerance, Seitan is a good option, and it is damn delicious, lol. It's perfect for pizza, stir fries, steaks, you make anything out of it.
  • scaryg53
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ad149dea61f730d7fffbdc95bd602b08.jpg

Thank you for this, I'm saving that.
  • daltonjsmom
    daltonjsmom Posts: 74 Member
    I like Sunwarrior protein powder: comes in Vanilla, Chocolate, and unflavored. 100 calories per scoop. I an intolerance of peanut, tree nuts, and gluten, so it works great for me.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Love that chart, ignatca! We all forget that vegetables contain protein. Eat as much and as big a variety of vegetables as possible. It's all low calorie and packed with nutrition (we all need more than just protein in our diets). Frankly, most of us (who aren't world class athletes) don't need as much protein as we've been told we need. Too much protein forces your kidneys to work harder to get rid of excess protein. If you're eating plenty of leafy greens, colorful veggies and a good assortment of fruit, nuts and seeds, you're most likely getting all the protein your body needs.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Don't forget Iron too, kaniwa (quinoa's smaller cousin) has 60% of your daily iron in one serving. I watch protein but my iron too.......don't want to be anemic.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I'm sure you know that there is protein in many non-animal products. ... what I found most helpful was FIRST trying to eat more of the non-animal products that are high in protein and then SECOND realizing the protein requirements are set for and by meat-eating people. Read John Robbins and Colin Campbell books.
    ^^ This! ^^ It's very interesting to read how much big-ag lobbying influences government dietary recommendations. I've been almost vegetarian (I still do fish now and then) for over 20 years and, eating lots and lots of vegetables/beans, I get plenty of protein. Even now, after 3 years of no diary and very little grains, I still have no problem getting enough protein.