Too many carbs

Options
I too am trying to work on nutrition. I am trying to increase my fiber but am finding high fiber foods have been high in carbs. I'm not so much trying to restrict carbs but 60% of my diet should not be carbs I would think.Any suggestions?

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says a person needs 125 grams of carbs a day and to eat good carbs and not processed foods with bad carbs. Fiber carbs are good as they are not processed like other carbs in the body.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    40/40/20 is a pretty reasonable start. Protein/carbs/fats.

I usually tell people to start with that and tweak the carbs and fat depending on how they feel. Some people feel better on more or less carbs. You can add in more vegetables if you want the fiber without the carbs found in sugary cereal, bars, snack foods etc.

Depending on your LBM that could be too much or too little protein also. So tweak that as needed if you think you need more or less.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to work on nutrition. I am trying to increase my fiber but am finding high fiber foods have been high in carbs. I'm not so much trying to restrict carbs but 60% of my diet should not be carbs I would think.Any suggestions?

Veggies - spinach, kale, Brussels sprouts, parsnips
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    These vegetarian sources of protein also are high in fiber. They have carbs, too. Can't escape that.
    ad149dea61f730d7fffbdc95bd602b08.jpg
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a carbohydrate so foods high in fiber are going to be high in carbs as a result. Those who follow a low carb lifestyle usually subtract fiber carbs from the total carbs they eat because fiber doesn't impact blood sugar and much of it isn't digested anyway.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Fiber is a carbohydrate so foods high in fiber are going to be high in carbs as a result. Those who follow a low carb lifestyle usually subtract fiber carbs from the total carbs they eat because fiber doesn't impact blood sugar and much of it isn't digested anyway.

Only in the US. The rest of the world lists fiber separately on labels to begin with, so their carbs are already "net carbs."
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    spfldpam wrote: »
    My nutritionist says a person needs 125 grams of carbs a day and to eat good carbs and not processed foods with bad carbs. Fiber carbs are good as they are not processed like other carbs in the body.

Huh?
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The ADA recommendations on adjusting carbohydrate calculation for high-fiber foods remain the same. Foods high in fiber are a healthy addition to a meal plan. Since fiber is not completely digested and absorbed, a high-fiber meal would not provide as much available carbohydrate as a low-fiber meal of similar total carbohydrate content.

A high-fiber food is one that contains 5 or more grams of dietary fiber per serving. When there are 5 or more grams of fiber per serving, subtract them from the total grams of carbohydrate to determine how much carbohydrate is available.

For example, a breakfast cereal containing 28 grams of total carbohydrate and 6 grams of dietary fiber can be counted as 22 grams [28 – 6 = 22] of available carbohydrate.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla has a 50 calorie low carb tortilla that is high in fiber. :-).
  • galgenstrick
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Huh?

I was going to say the same thing, but didn't go there. Lol.

There are no such things as essential carbs. It's really based on how much energy you get from eating them. Eat too much and you probably will not feel great. Eat to little and you probably won't feel great either. But everyone is different, so a fixed rule like 125g / day doesn't make any sense.

Also "eat mostly nutritionally dense foods" would be a much better statement than saying not to eat "bad" carbs, whatever that means.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Wait, what? A person needs 125g?
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds. I eat oatmeal with flaxseed for breakfast, 8 grams of fiber. Then I have almonds with my coffee, which adds another 4 grams. Total of 35 grams of carbs and 12 grams of fiber, which is half the recommended daily intake. I'm not low carb, so I tend to eat fruit and multigrain bread/pasta, which typically more than makes up the rest of my fiber.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Only in the US. The rest of the world lists fiber separately on labels to begin with, so their carbs are already "net carbs."

Fair point and something I forget from time to time.
    That may be a number that you need to meet but I have no such needs. Carbs are not necessary to live. Fat is another energy source that's available to us.

Carbs are not "good" or "bad", they're just carbs. I'll agree that whole grains are better than processed white flour but the carbs in them are just carbs, no better or worse than the other.

• blktngldhrt
    Options
    Artichoke, raspberries, legumes, nuts, and seeds, cereal, barley, pasta..to name a few.
  • yaffatxfit
    yaffatxfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I follow a plant-based diet because I hate counting calories or portions, and I like to eat when I'm hungry. So my daily intake is 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein. Carbs are good for you. They provide you with your daily energy and they feed your brain and cells. Type II diabetics can reverse their diabetes by following this plan.
  • galgenstrick
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yaffatxfit wrote: »
    I follow a plant-based diet because I hate counting calories or portions, and I like to eat when I'm hungry. So my daily intake is 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein. Carbs are good for you. They provide you with your daily energy and they feed your brain and cells. Type II diabetics can reverse their diabetes by following this plan.

Nope

And please go eat some eggs or something before someone gets hurt.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Not on your life.... Your last statement is dangerous. Diabetes can never be reversed ...
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

What?? No!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Without seeing your diary (or knowing anything about you) I have no opinion on whether you need to worry about that total carb amount, but maybe identify and consider switching out some of your lower fiber carbs for higher fiber ones? For example, beans have a ton of fiber, whole grains have more than the white or more refined version of those products, some oatmeal has more than others, veggies with add some with very few calories, fruit will add some for more calories, but some fruits (like berries) have better fiber to calorie ratios than others.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

so they don't list fibre grams on the back of the pack in America?

So they don't lost fibre separately on the back of the back in America? Like this: