Binge Days: Anxiety and weight loss?

Options
Hello fitness pals,

Firstly I am looking for some personal experiences (even if it was someone you knew) who had anxiety (which led them to crave junk food) and succeeded. I only have ~10-15 lbs left!

I also strongly believe in preventative health care (which IMO is eating healthy and exercising) so
WOULD ANYONE LIKE TO SHARE THEIR HEALTHY SNACK FOODS?

Replies

• jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have anxiety, for me I usually have long periods (weeks to months) of mild anxiety, punctuated by shorter periods of intense anxiety ( usually lasting a few days or weeks, it varies. One of my triggers is/ was food so I prelog in the morning or the night before,
    one less thing to worry about. Also allows me to figure out what nighttime treats I can afford ; restricting/eliminating 'treats' too strictly is another trigger of mine, I believe in moderation without feeling guilty :)
    My favourite snacks are greek yogurt, popcorn, and (wait for it) chocolate cocovered granola bars. Anyone interested in telling me off about that, I'm not interested in your negativity, three years ago it'd have been a chocolate bar washed down with coke.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sorry for any errors, typing on a new touch screen phone.
  • jhackwell2
    jhackwell2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I live with generalized anxiety. Weight loss is very hard when you are constantly stressed out with high levels of cortisol in your body. In order to be successful at weight loss, I had to manage my anxiety first. I got back into yoga and took a mindfulness class. I saw a naturopath who put me on a series of mood regulating supplements. I cut back on work by 5 hours a week to achieve a better work/life balance. I take long walks alone to clear my thoughts. You may have to try a lot of different things to find what will work for you. But if anxiety is holding you back, find a way to manage it, and success will follow.
  • lulufee317537
    lulufee317537 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find that if I'm eating really healthy, exercising regularly, and getting enough plant based protein, I rarely feel like binging. But if something happens, like holidays, or a recent accomplishment, or a very stressful situation, I will binge and screw it all up. Too much drinking alcohol is pretty bad, also high carb high fat foods, these things I will binge on and later feel awful, which then makes me crave more terrible foods, etc etc.

I try to stop it by mowing down a bunch of raw broccoli, baby carrots, a giant salad, or anything that is, like, a whole bunch of plants (with a bit of hummus or healthy dressing)! Usually this does the trick. It makes me feel super fresh and energized.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Anxiety used to be the main reason for my binges. I used to say that I was trying to squash the butterflies in my stomach with food. I have fought this by working hard to be more mindful of my emotions and reactions, my anxiety in particular, but mainly by stopping thinking of binging as 'comfort eating' or any of that other fluffy crap, and seeing them as they are - self harm.

I've had binges where I would eat a whole block of cheese out of the packed (like an apple) while driving home with a grocery bag full of food on the passenger seat. My binges were crazy! But it's been a few years since a bad one and at least a year since even a minor one.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm rapid-cycling bipolar with a side of anxiety and panic attacks. I also have a kidney transplant (and AWESOME genetics), so I've pretty much given up on finding an appropriate medication. I do see a counselor every other week or so.

With a long list of health problems, and a rapidly shortening lifespan, I've decided to throw all "moderation" away and get strict with my eating. If I don't do this, a bad day can turn into months, or, if we're being honest, years of binge cycles. My meals are tiny now. A couple ounces of meat on top of a variety of fruits and vegetables. Rice wine vinegar and lots of black pepper for seasoning. Snacks are fruit. Fruit was made for snacking, and I'm a sugar addict. I like getting my sugar without getting into a frenzied sugar high. No crash that way.

It's not for everyone's lifestyle. I know not everyone is in a situation where their health actually is a full time job. The ideas are simple, though. My skin is clearer, my belly bloat is gone, and I haven't gotten chocolate on a library book in ages.

I'm pretty strict, but there's no flogging, either. When you eat like a saint, your body starts giving you signals that maybe splitting a fancy burger as an appetizer wasn't the best idea before you're doubled over in pain and guilt. Eventually, I hope my brain starts giving me that signal before we order it! And for the first time the other day, my boyfriend and I shared a candy bar without him feeling bad that he only got two bites.
  • Jean8595
    Jean8595 Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow, I really appreciate and can totally relate to everyone's responses! Would I be able to add you guys/gals?