What are we gaining by being obese? are we sitting on a pity potty?

Options
What are we gaining by being obese? & feeding that stupid monster!!( Is it a true addiction?) or are we sitting on a pity potty?

Replies

• dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this pity potty of which you speak... am I the only one?
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I see it as addiction!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Or, you know, people eat at a calorie surplus for a while and get obese? Either a small one over a long amount of time, or a big surplus for a short time. Or hell, a big surplus for a long time.

Sure, it's more complicated than that. But the whole psychological end of it is pretty individual, and can be REALLY complex. You are looking for a "yay" or "nay" easy answer, when it's more of a "maybe" "sometimes" "it depends" situation.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    " Pity Potty " Sitting eating feeling sorry for yourself, escaping reality.... crapping, feeling like crap, more eating......
  • 111grace
    Options
    God I think I am just looking for a way to change my mind to healthy eating and exercise, without this endless binging days and feeling *kitten* about being obese!! I am trying to understand my F* up state of mind and weak will power!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    111grace wrote: »
    " Pity Potty " Sitting eating feeling sorry for yourself, escaping reality.... crapping, feeling like crap, more eating......
    It's my Potty I can cry if I want to. Quit with the judging.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    111grace wrote: »
    Pity party
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

Maybe the OP meant "pity party?"
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Ain't nothing but a gangsta potty....potty....
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    People sometimes eat to comfort themselves when they feel bad. Its possible to get into a cycle where you feel bad about your weight and all you can think of to console yourself is eating. Genuinely vicious.

It is possible to get into a virtuous cycle as well. The rewards aren't quite as instant as "fatty sugary food in your mouth" but what they lack in speed they make up for in depth and breadth.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options

I've never heard this either. I've heard of "having a pity party". Maybe this is a hilarious misunderstanding. :)

Anywho, as Otterluv mentioned above, I think the obesity epidemic is complicated. I don't think there's one single thing we can point to and say "that's it". More likely it's a combination of factors including food supply/prices, medications, increasingly sedentary lifestyles, and psychological factors.
  • alexlove31
    alexlove31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my obesity is a symptom of something bigger, specifically how I deal with anxiety and stress. Eating to change how I feel INSTANTLY has been my way of dealing with things for as long as I can remember. This also resulted in my yo-yo dieting. Now, I remind myself that I am defined by how I deal with my failures, issues, stresses, anxieties etc. I need to work things out without depending on food as a cure.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think it is simple, but complex.

More calories in than out - weight gain.

Actual need to move has disappeared. I read somewhere (where?) that the average American walks 70 yards a day.

Food tastes good, calories do in fact taste irresistibly. Food is cheap and easily available. Eating a lot and eating between meals has become more socially acceptable.

Social norms are at the same time demanding us to be slim and fit.

Eating is a physiological need, but also coupled psychologically and culturally to comfort and companionship.

Constant coflicts between needs and wants is exhausting and may affect general well being and feeling of autonomy. Feelings of defeat can lead to anxiety, denial and lower impulse control.

Lots of cash is made from people overeating.

No surprise that we are a growing population.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    <-- dying Pity potty. OMG.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot of things, different for different people for the most part. As far as Western society, we have a lot of food, generally speaking. And restaurants. And restaurants that serve a lot of food. We have families that deal with things with food, both celebratory and comforting. And on and on. It's all how we allow ourselves to be affected by it. At the end of the day, it's up to us what we put in our mouth and how much we move.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    ROFL PITY POTTY...
  • 111grace
    Options
    made up. "eating and feeling like crap" is funny for me, but not a party for one ( in my mouth ). Just feeling Pissed!!
    This was & is a serious question? Thanks gorgeous people for taking time to answer seriously.