So discouraged:(

Options
Been working so hard to lose since January and as of today I am only at 3 lbs lost. Backslid a couple times and gained back 3 pounds 3 different times. I work out a lot, but I just can't get my eating under control and I am beginning to think I never will.

Summer is coming and I am dreading it, I know my clothes will not fit and at this rate I will not lose enough.

I feel like I am always either hungry or feeling guilty for something I ate.

It doesn't help that I hate cooking. I am really bad at planning and organizing as well.

I am not generally this negative but I just don't feel very much hope right now. I am so tired of failing.

Is anyone else struggling this much?

Thanks for letting me vent:)
Andy

Replies

• dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Keep going! You can get there. What steps have you taken to address your eating habits?
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    From looking at your food diary, your meals look pretty balanced, but there are some really easy things you can do to reduce your calories. Number one is Log Everything, every day. That is the only way to really take a hard look at your eating habits. I already see one change you can make that would help. Instead of cooking your eggs in butter, use a butter-flavored spray like Pam. You can eat the same meal and save 200 calories a day just by making that one switch. Also, when you go out to eat, try ordering your sandwich "open-faced" or with one piece of bread instead of two. Eating more vegetables and fresh fruits can help too. Your plate should be about half non-starchy vegetables, one quarter protein and one quarter carbs.
  • andyphin
    andyphin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, I need to be better at logging everything. I do cook eggs with PAM, and I use margarine instead of butter on toast but I have a saved meal that lists butter I think and I need to edit that.
    I also need more whole foods, you are right about that as well. thanks
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Are you only eating 2 meals a day? You need to watch your sodium intake! That is very important! That could be one reason why you are not losing! Also, you need to drink at least 8 full glasses of water a day! Try eating 3 balanced meals a day with 2 snacks! I hope this helps!
  • andyphin
    Options
    Keep going! You can get there. What steps have you taken to address your eating habits?

I haven't taken any steps to address them other than what I have been doing. This last slip up came from having family visiting and having too much sweets and alcohol with them - both are big no no's I know! Alcohol is especially bad for me because not only do I get the calories from drinking but then my willpower goes out the window a well and it always starts an eating binge. It will just have to be something I give up all together I think - it makes me feel bad all around.

• berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    meh who cares about meal planning eat what you want that day but just keep it clean
  • andyphin
    Options
    Are you only eating 2 meals a day? You need to watch your sodium intake! That is very important! That could be one reason why you are not losing! Also, you need to drink at least 8 full glasses of water a day! Try eating 3 balanced meals a day with 2 snacks! I hope this helps!

I eat three meals a day but haven't been the greatest about logging everything. I am getting better at it but when I go off the rails I don't enter anything.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    berz82 wrote: »
    meh who cares about meal planning eat what you want that day but just keep it clean

You'd do well to completely ignore this, OP.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    We all get discouraged. Try to remember that you haven't failed until you've stopped trying. And of course...the old saying "The man who succeeds is the man who got up one more time than he fell" you know, fall down 7 and get up 8 :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    andyphin wrote: »
    I feel like I am always either hungry or feeling guilty for something I ate.

Changing these 2 things could help enormously.

You shouldn't be hungry except just before a meal. You are probably either cutting your calories too low, or eating foods that are not satiating. Try eating more fiber and protein. If you are set to lose 2 lbs a week, change that to 1 or 1.5. Eat all your alotted calories, plus a little more if you exercise.

A little guilt when you go off plan is not necessarily a bad thing, but don't let it drive you to either starve yourself in retaliation, or go on a binge because you've already ruined everything.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's critical that you log everything and log portions as accurately as you can. Focus on that. Being too far over budget, or too far under can cause big problems.
  • andyphin
    Options
    My fitbit automatically sync's with myfitnesspal but I feel like it is giving me too many calories for exercise. I do exercise a lot but I don't think I should be eating as much as it says I can some days, I just don't know. I feel like this could also be contributing to my lack of losing.
  • fraseria
    fraseria Posts: 16
    Options
    I ain't no expert, but you should log properly and probably make sure you're not cutting too many calories at once. In my opinion the number 1 cause of binge eating... From what I've read and heard you should aim for a deficit of 200 calories from what is required for maintenance and then if required taper off some more after about 2 weeks. Sudden large deficits causes the body to go into fasting mode and catabolise muscle instead of burning fat.. You may not have the goal of building muscle, but at least keep what you have already. More muscle needs more fuel and burns more calories. Kickstart your metabolism by having breakfast or Whey first thing in the morning and get your body out of fasting mode. Try to eat clean as far as possible and eat enough (both per meal and per day). Empty calories leave you wanting more and you end up eating a whole lot of nothing with loads of calories. If you're going to implement the "cheat day" as many people recommend with diets... fair enough, but don't overdo it. Best advice I got was "keep to a weekly calorie average". One day of overshooting doesn't break the bank, but make up for it on the other 5 or 6 days. If you're only doing cardio, throw some strength training in the mix and make sure to do a lot of compound movements... More muscles working = more calories burned. squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over rows, etc. and you can throw in some isolation exercises as well to get the definition in places you feel are lacking... And you don't have to go overboard with the weights. Relatively mild weight at 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps per exercise totaling about 20 sets per session should do the trick.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok have looked at your diary and taken in what you have posted.
    I am not surprised you arent as successful as you wnat to be as you simply are not getting the basics correct and without that then you will flail around.
    You still have time to lose that weight in time for summer or most of it. the question is how much do you want to lose the weight and if you do, then you need to commit and deal with the weaknesses in your mindset, your diet and possibly your execise.

If you focus then you have the opportunity to set these weaknesses right, but you have to address them and commit to sorting it out. Having a good understanding how weight loss works preparing and planning as well as getting the right mindset will set you on the road to losing the weight successfully. Please read the sexy pant thread because theres so much of that you are not doing and should be.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

1. You need to be at a deficit and you do not know if you are or not. Thats fundamental.
    2. You arent using MFP correctly, dont know if you are weighing your food, but you arent logging your food. You have to get the food consumption sorted out because its a lo easier no to eat soemthing than it is to burn the calories off.
    3. The balance of your nutrition looks off, more fruit and veg lean protein and complex carbs allocated at the right time to make sure you dont go hungry.

Draw up a plan and let your friends or the forum review what you intend to do. It should include changes people ahve suggested, then its simply a case of being at a deficit and where you are not , then address it and see what the solution is.

Your lack of losing is because when everything is combined you are at a very small deficit.

On the plus side you are doing some exercise and you still have everything to play for.