Spring "training"

Options
Hi,
I have had enough of treadmills and inside workouts. Spring is just around the corner. Can't wait to get outside to hit the trails, bike, etc. I'm not a runner, but want to give it a try...any advice to getting started. Some friends to encourage along the way would be welcomed

Replies

• Gail_ish
    Gail_ish Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there - I'm looking forward to getting out too. I thought this would be the week and I got up early Monday and got on the treadmill for 30 minutes before work and then I went to the noon interval class at work. Then I went to bed and woke up with a brutal cold on Tuesday and I haven't been able to hold my head up since then. It's a bit discouraging because I was 'there'. I've been trying to keep my head in the game by doing lots of reading of posts on this site and hopefully when I'm better next week, I get back at it.
    -
    I used to run, however I never put the pressure on myself to run the whole way (I think of it as interval training). I used to do 6.3 km (about 4 miles) in about 50 minutes 5 times a week. I started by walking first and working on my consistency. Once I was good with 5 days a week, then I'd work on setting new goals every week: either speed, distance or adding/extending new running sprints.

Cheerio,
    Gail
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill almost every day but I too would love to run I have been told to just do what you can (as far as running) then walk and repeat but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet but one of these days I will.