Supportive Friends

Options
I'm a couple months into seriously tracking and paying attention to living a healthier lifestyle. I've seen some really awesome results, but I have made changes that are working for me but have my friends a little disgruntled. They like to go out for drinks and dinner a lot, and I still go with them the majority of the time, but I won't drink much if at all and I order as healthy of food options as I can. Recently they have taken to lecturing me about "loving myself" and "giving myself a break" after complaining they are unhappy with their bodies and recent weight gain. I don't want to change them or their habits because it is not my place, but I would really like their support. Anyone have any advice on what sort of conversations I should be having with them? Similar situations?

I would really appreciate the input!

Replies

• shycie750
    shycie750 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you want things in your life to change, you have to change things in your life. A "friend" who is not supportive of my healthier choices is not a friend I need in my life. Just sayin'...
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would do your best to not worry about what they think. they clearly aren't on the same path as you as far as living a healthier lifestyle. if I was you I would avoid the topic if you can and try to keep your mouth closed unless they specifically ask you a question because most likely they aren't going to like what you say. its the unfortunate truth in most cases. a lot of people just aren't ready to make the lifestyle change and that's ok you will just have to learn to disagree on such things. that's one of the main reasons I reach out to like minded people on MFP because I don't have many people in my real life who I can relate to health wise. good luck on your journey and try not to let them discourage you or sway you from the path you have chosen.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    They'll either need to accept your decisions or you'll need to move on. It's not like you're being unreasonable, it's not a big thing for friends to accept you eat what you want to eat.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Also you could try just politely telling them you are trying to make healthier choices and that you would like their support and see if that helps but otherwise there's not much you can do.
  • eddiedamn
    eddiedamn Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think this is a common occurrence. Hang in there. Change makes people uncomfortable. I just say thank you. If they push, I let them know that, while they may be uncomfortable, my doctor and I are ecstatic.

Good job and here's to your continued success!
  • sarahtiffany23
    sarahtiffany23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    shycie750 wrote: »
    If you want things in your life to change, you have to change things in your life. A "friend" who is not supportive of my healthier choices is not a friend I need in my life. Just sayin'...

Normally I would agree with you, but they are really awesome people outside of this instance. Plus I live in a very small, college town and there are very few non students to hang out with. I'm moving in a few months so I just have to stick in there a little longer.

Thanks for all of the advice!