The secret of *your* success?

Options

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Healthy & balanced diet, portion control, exercise, great support system and setting realistic but challenging goals.
  • Bob_Sugar
    Bob_Sugar Posts: 61
    Options
    Awareness: Of both portion size and when I'm prone to snaking/ over eating.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    MFP, primarily. It's amazing when you start journaling and find out how much you are cramming down each day.

A food scale, for me a very valuable tool in determining portion control.

"Won't power" (my friend's play on words for willpower)

And not depriving myself of anything. All things in moderation.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i attribute my success to my diabetes diagnosis....ever since being diagnosed april 6th i have changed my eating, started exercising and i drink nothing but water.....i like variety so i alternate what i do for exercise everyday....its either elliptical, treadmill (i can do an hour on both), combine either of those machines with a dvd of some kind for strength training and on my off days i go to the outdoor track in a nearby city and walk or i do zumba or yoga.....variety keeps me motivated....

i also attribute my success to my determination to reverse my diagnosis and to living a healthy life in general. my positive attitude helps too......
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Persistence. Might sound cliched but so many people expect amazing results quickly and then fall at the first hurdle (re:plateau).

I have periods of MONTHS (not weeks or days) but months and months where I don't lose weight and I didn't give up because I knew I was eating right and knew I was exercising right and I knew that if I was persistent and kept on keeping on it would have to come off and sure enough, it did. I had a 2 year away goal date, in 2 years time I want to weigh such and such, that way I wasn't overly disappointed if I hadn't met my goal to lose 300lbs in 3 weeks. So I guess that realistic goals goes hand in hand with persistence.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    obsessive compulsiver disorder
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    self-control/portion control

And trying to eat as much "real" food as possible.
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    intermittent fasting has helped me deal with self control issues, drinking a ton of water ( feel like crap if i don't), being able to eat the things i like in moderation <---that one is huge, i would die without chocolate, and checking out success stories. I am so super motivated by seeing other people succeed. :)
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    awareness**
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Gradual habitual replacements! Knitting at night instead of eating. Tea in the afternoon instead of a heavy snack or starbucks. Yoga while watching tv instead of sitting. (Well, I know you're not supposed to watch tv and do yoga but it makes it much less boring....)

It's amazing how quickly tiny changes can have an impact.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    no sugar, no eating after 9 pm (i used to eat dinner at 10 pm when i got home from the gym. i stopped doing this and have noticed a HUGE difference)
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    There is no complicated or special formula in my opinion. Eat fewer calories then you burn, workout a few times a week, drink lots of water, eat healthy foods (veggies, fruits, lean protein, etc). Being determined isn't about killing yourself at the gym 6 times a week... its about following what you already know you need to do.

You do those things and you'll be great.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton and healthy eating.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    strange as it seems......Breakfast ! I have skipped this meal for 6 years and starting on here I have not missed a single day!

This site keeping me accountable !
  • dawning
    dawning Posts: 32
    Options
    Planning ahead...
    Being aware of what I am eating...
    Posting everything that I eat...
    ps. I don't workout
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    If you can't and don't do it for yourself..it's not worth doing it... I've battled my weight forever...I thought I would just do it because of my son saying "mom you have to do something...I want my kids to have a grandmother" That helped...but you know what made me start and stick to it this long? .... I want to see my grandchildren! I do this for me..And so should everyone else. Good Luck. Add me if you would like..
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    obsessive compulsiver disorder

Ahahhaah. Me, too! MFP plays into that perfectly!

But, seriously, for me it's mostly making a decision to be active. Do fun things on the weekend (like swimming or golf or long hikes) other than eat and drink. Going to the gym, walking more... etc.

I haven't changed my eating habits all that much, but I went from being very, very active as a high schooler to a very sedentary college student, graduate student, young professional... etc. Even though I would typically walk 5+ miles a day for commuting, etc., it just wasn't enough to keep me as fit as I'd like. So now I have to force myself to get up and get moving. It's been really helpful.
  • dragonmaid78219
    Options
    For me its my kids and getting back to the beautiful woman on the outside as I know I am on the inside!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Not having the weight loss be the focus. My goal was to be able to run a 5k. I can do that now, and I'm moving on to 10k.

I eat what I want, but I'm mindful to give myself enough protein, veggies and water to fuel myself well, so I can keep running further and faster.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    1. Breakfast
    2. Water
    3. Commitment