Walking as one of the keys to losing weight

Options
13»

Replies

• Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I could never read while I walk....I am walking fast and swinging my arms.....
  • BeardedStudWarrior
    BeardedStudWarrior Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lots of funky walking and dirty talking can help! As well as lots f lovin!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Do you have a buddy you can walk with at lunch time? It makes it MUCH more motivating to get out when you've got someone else to encourage (or sometimes make you) go walking.

That way you don't crash into a pole or something while reading your book.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I make sure i walk somewhere every day, it is a very good beginner exercise and also very nice in the Summer, but as you say its very time consuming. There comes a time when you should be considering moving on to more vigorous forms of cardio for greater health benefits and greater calorie burn.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love walking too :) my Fitbit was my best purchase ever! I get a minimum of 14,000 steps most days but quite often in the 17,000+. I have MFP set to sedentary and linked up with Fitbit. My TDEE averages at over 2000 calories a day which is not bad for a 5ft1 41 year old female
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just took the dog for another walk. I don't know if he or I enjoys it more!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I started the same way, I would eat lunch at my desk then walk for an hour. Now I still eat lunch at my desk, but go to the gym for an hour. Well done OP!!!

I do the same.

The only problem is that the phones never stop ringing, so I end up eating my lunch within 5 minutes so I think I may have to stop doing it. However it is great to fit in a few extra minutes of walking!
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love walking too :)

About a year ago I received a fitbit, and started trying to get my 10,000 steps. I was surprised to find that if I didn't put any work into it, I was only getting about 2000 steps a day (still true actually). Fast forward a year, and I'm now walking a minimum of 6km a day, but regularly closer to 10km a day. It's hard to believe that when I first started, a 1km walk was long - if I don't get at least 3km in a day, I feel sluggish!

I've been lucky enough to discover a pretty rural walking track around the corner from me - I regularly see kangaroos and wombats (I'm in Australia), as well as local horse riders and plenty of different birds.

Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes podcasts (This American Life and Stuff You Missed in History Class are my favourites), lately I've just been taking in the quiet and thinking about stuff. Haven't tried reading, might give that a shot too ;)

Oh, and for the record? Walking + calorie counting (and occasional very slow bike rides) has seen me lose 30kg over the past year. Yay!
  • beetlesguk
    beetlesguk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to jog, but I have gained back some weight and find jogging just too much right now so I have started walking. I really enjoy it and it's great to clear your mind after a long day in the office! I love the fact that you can just get up and do it, you don't need any workout gear or anything
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate the times I get to walk outside on my 30 minute lunch break. The fresh air, the peace and quiet, the sunlight, the movement... rather than being stuck at my desk peering at spreadsheets, or trying to make myself heard in a fluorescent-lit classroom full of 16 year olds. I really notice a difference in my mood and energy levels when I get back to my office afterwards, as opposed to the days when I don't get that time to myself.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've been using a fitness tracker for the past couple of months, the Samsung S-Health, its part of my phone. I've found that it's cool to have daily goal of getting my 10,000 steps. Unfortunately, no one seems that pleased about it. On the other hand, my MFP friends think it's great and, they offer lot's of encouragement. I know this comes as no surprise to most of you. It seems that sometime our friends and family members, even if they are supportive, have a hard time understanding the struggle that losing weight is.