How do you get your water in

Options
2»

Replies

• nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I personally just love straight water! Where I used to live when I was younger we had a major sulphur problem in the well near our house and bottled water wasn't viable so that's all we had. Bleeeech. Now that I have access to water that doesn't look, smell and taste like rotten eggs, I can't get enough.

However, to switch it up every now and then, my go to is teas. I have been trying to cut down on my coffee intake, so I'll have a hot cup in the morning of some kind of herbal tea instead. I'll grab the biggest size of iced green tea I can on my way to class and drink that, then refill the cup throughout the day with water until the ice has gone.

I haven't tried fruit in water yet but that sounds delish.

• wackyncrazy1
    wackyncrazy1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I tried to drink a gallon of water a day and enjoy water but i can't drink a gallon of water a day cause i have to pea all the time and i drive all day and can't keep stopping to pee. Ugh but i drink a liter or 2 durning the work day then a liter or so after i get home. Wish beer counted as water........
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You should not worry about the numbers. Your body has many built-in mechanisms to control the hydration level. If you are not thirsty, you are doing fine.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Infusing water overnight in the fridge with fruit, cucumbers & mint, whatever combinations you like...makes it tastier & easier to drink if the taste of plain water is the issue.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I get mine as coffee until I get off work. I get it as water after that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Besides my morning coffee, it's all I drink.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Swallowing.

Seriously though, you don't have to drink a particular amount as long as you remain hydrated.

That's my approach...

In addition to keeping bottled water at my desk, and in the car, and drinking some while driving... and drinking water in conjunction with workouts... I drink water and milk over the course of any given day, and occasionally some tea or coffee, and sometimes tomato juice... and I eat high-water-content fruits... and thus my body gets water from all of these (even if it needs to 'extract' the water, so to speak)... if I get thirsty, I drink water...
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If you have a daily routine, use that routine to make smaller goals - instead of eight cups a day (or whatever), do four cups by the time you hit the gym at noon, one at the gym, and then two before you leave work for the day (this is me) and then if you don't have another sip the rest of the day (highly unlikely), you've at least gotten most of it in (and you won't need to pee in the middle of the night).
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a 32oz tumbler and a 2qt pitcher/container at work. Every morning, after my 2nd coffee, I make a pitcher of water w/ low cal drink mix and I fill that tumbler. With the tumbler at me desk, I tend to drink 32oz before lunch, then another 32oz after lunch. At home, its usually bottled water in the evening (another 32oz), an occasional soda or iced coffee. ALL that contributes to my hydration, so on a good day, I can get 96-128oz (12-16 8 oz glasses) of hydration.

Once I started drinking water (instead of soda), I found that my body wanted water. The more water I drink, the more I want to drink water. I'm "addicted" I suppose.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this. A lot of the time I'm too lazy or forget to get up and get myself a glass of water. I like the taste of water and have no problem drinking it if I have the glass in hand :P I guess I get most of my water in by drinking coffee. Trying to change this, though.

I recommend cucumber water for those trying to spice it up. It's delicious.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty. I don't force myself. If I drank as much as people suggest my pee would be clear enough to drink again.

• peeanoe
    peeanoe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a 48 oz nalgene i take to work with me. I drink one of those during the work day (and I'm a teacher, so if I can do that with only peeing once or twice a day, its completely possible!) and one once I get home. I only drink water though, MAYBE I'll have one cup of coffee a day, but water is it for me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You should not worry about the numbers. Your body has many built-in mechanisms to control the hydration level. If you are not thirsty, you are doing fine.

Yeah, that doesn't work for me. I can go all day with barely any water intake - 2 cups of coffee, maybe a few ounces of water when I brush my teeth, maybe a glass mid-morning or with lunch - and not feel thirsty all day.

And then suddenly after dinner I'm hit with ravenous thirst, so respond by sucking down a bunch of water before bed...and then I'm up 2-3 times during the night because I have to pee! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have also found on days when I feel hungry when I really shouldn't be, it's generally that I've only had a cup or two of water so far, and I'm good at mistaking thirst for hunger.

So consciously drinking water first thing, keeping water close at hand, and going by pee color and three factors in keeping myself hydrated.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »

Yeah, that doesn't work for me. I can go all day with barely any water intake - 2 cups of coffee, maybe a few ounces of water when I brush my teeth, maybe a glass mid-morning or with lunch - and not feel thirsty all day.

2 cups of coffee and a glass of water? That sounds like plenty if you not doing anything to physical. Sounds like your thirsty is normal to me.

Coffee is like 95% water isn't it?

So far today I have had I think 2 glasses of water and most of a 600ml coke.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »

2 cups of coffee and a glass of water? That sounds like plenty if you not doing anything to physical. Sounds like your thirsty is normal to me.

Coffee is like 95% water isn't it?

So far today I have had I think 2 glasses of water and most of a 600ml coke.
    Three cups of liquid is not enough to hydrate me for the day, not by a long shot - even on a rest day in winter. I know this because of the ravenous thirst that hits me later in the day, and by urine color.

I also don't go with coffee counting as regular water because of my very first blood donation I ever made. I'd had breakfast and two cups of coffee, plus whatever water I might have sipped while brushing my teeth. They could barely get any blood out of me and it took forever to get a pint. Now when I donate, I make sure I've had plenty of water the day before and the day of - and I can fill a pint in a matter of minutes, and they often have to ice pack my arm to slow the flow when I'm done.

I will count tea, coffee and other beverages in my overall fluid intake for the day, but I only count water as water, and I know I'm better in many ways if I have 7-10 cups a day, depending on activity and weather temps. :smile:
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Virgiree21 wrote: »
    I have a 33.8 oz Smart Water bottle. I sip two of those throughout the day and get 8 cups. If I drink another bottle then 12 cups. I don't really sip it more like gugle it down like a duck. I may go a few hours and forget so I'll just chug down half the bottle if not more. I actually just did that haha. It wasn't full though but just got my 8 cups in! Might go for 12 tonight. By the way I refill the bottle. I don't buy a bunch of Smart Water bottles. But I do buy a new one every other week or so.

This is me at work everyday lol

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I bought a giant 100oz cup from 7/11 and fill it with ice water at LEAST once per day. Usually, every time I read on MFP about drinking wanter, it reminds me to drink my water.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    i really like the taste of water, it's actually my beverage of choice. but, if it's not already been said - lots of ice