Anyone on a Raw Diet?

Options
darla499
darla499 Posts: 402 Member
I have been vegetarian for quite awhile and had been contemplating going vegan for several years but kept having issues with cheese and yogurt. Those were my only hangups.

Well, after a lot of research and facing the facts about what is currently accepted as "food" in our country, I've decided to go raw.

I'm really excited about it. I still use a scoop of a processed protein powder, for now, until I run out of that. So I'm in full, transition phase right now.

Is anyone else on a raw diet?

What's your main source of protein?

Do you limit your carbs a day? If so, to what?

And are you using vegan Vitamin D supplements?

Thanks.

PS. I know a lot of people don't believe in this lifestyle choice, and if that is the case, that's okay, but please, no negativity. I've made a lifestyle decision and am going to do it until I decide it no longer works for me. Criticism won't change that. Thanks.

Replies

• xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Mystic_Potato
    Mystic_Potato Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to veganism, not raw yet, but I try to incorporate some meals so I've been pinning them on Pinterest. I have been using Garden of Life Raw Meal for protein in the morning. It is good stuff. I know chia, flax and spirolina have a good bit as do nuts and seeds. I was on Vitamin D BEFORE going vegan - I was very deficient so now that I am vegan I do not need it!

Good luck. I hope someone can better answer your questions.
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out fullyrawkristina on YouTube she's amazing!! Love her meals!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to veganism, not raw yet, but I try to incorporate some meals so I've been pinning them on Pinterest. I have been using Garden of Life Raw Meal for protein in the morning. It is good stuff. I know chia, flax and spirolina have a good bit as do nuts and seeds. I was on Vitamin D BEFORE going vegan - I was very deficient so now that I am vegan I do not need it!

Good luck. I hope someone can better answer your questions.

What is your source for not needing a vitamin D supplement now that you are vegan? Where are you getting your D from now? Not all vegans supplement D, but it is a vitamin that vegans should monitor. Are you eating more fortified foods or getting more sun now?

I've been vegan for nine years and after doing the research, I decided to supplement vitamin D. Here is a source, an article by Jack Norris, a registered dietician (who is also vegan): http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/bones
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    You faced the facts about food and are now going raw, really. Is there a documentary involved.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Look up Laura Miller. She's vegan -- used to be raw vegan. She has this little segment on the Youtube channel TasteMade called "Raw. Vegan. Not Gross." She seems pretty chill, and is slightly hilarious.

I myself am not vegan, but I'll try out her recipes every now and then to mix things up with the veggie category of my diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST5UFRyOgl8
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not going to shoot down your choice. I'm a Vegan have been for over 15 years I do have reservations about the Raw diet but if that's the way you wish to go that is a choice only you can decide on

What I will caution you is that new Vegans (even coming from vegetarians) sometimes struggle in getting the balance correct normally just because they are dealing with food in a different way than they are used to. Going Raw can sometimes put more barriers in your way and make it even more difficult. Also there are some foods such as onions that you get the best nutrition actually by cooking them. I see a lot of people suddenly go down this raw route and in reality struggle with both nutrition and lifestyle issues related to eating like this.

On a byline if your an outdoor person Vitamin D shouldn't be too much of a problem I would however urge you to take a B12 supplement because as you won't be eating things like fortified products you will have no source of this

Good luck
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread.