Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Fact or fiction?

Fiction.

I'm 53, was obese until my early 40's, gained 30 back over five years due to 100% carelessness, and this last time I lost 44 pounds was the easiest it's ever been. I love maintaining and towing that weekly calorie goal line. :D

If you were obese until you were in your 40's, how do you know it's easier when older? What do you have to compare it to?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    If losing weight as an older person is not harder, my experience (I am 64) is that it is less comfortable - my calorie needs to maintain a reasonable deficit are considerably less than they were 30 years ago, even though I am more physically active now in comparison. My goals are different now, though. My health, now and moving forward, is my primary motivation. Secondary one is that there is a hiking trail that kicked my behind 3 years ago and I want to fly up to the top of that overlook this time :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    This is the oldest I've been yet ;) , and it's the lowest weight I've been in my adult life.

I think as I've got older, and tried this weight loss thing a few times, I think I've gained a lot of understanding about my triggers and what works for me. I've also gained the discipline to really make it work. So in that case, it's been easier for me as I've got older.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    aaliceinw wrote: »
    The OP asks simply "Is it harder to lose weight when you are older?"

The answer is yes for women at least as we we enter menopause and beyond.

The question is not "What excuses do you make not to lose weight?!"

I never had the need to diet at all in my whole life and weighed the same for 30 years, with a variance of ± 3kg's during summer and winter (excluding my pregnancies). In 2010, I started slowly putting on weight and in 2012, I stopped smoking and drinking and my weight began increasing faster until I realised in December that my body was not working in the same way that it used to at all and that I would have to change my lifestyle to get rid of the excess weight.

So the same amount of calories in at the age of 20 or 30, definitely requires a hell of a lot more movement from me to burn them off, therefore it is harder to lose weight as you get older!

Nope that's the answer to "is it easier to gain weight as you get older"

Losing it is not harder IMO

But all these people disagree with you, and so do most calorie equations that take biology into account. It is possible? Yes. Is it harder? All signs point to yes.
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    This is the oldest I've been yet ;) , and it's the lowest weight I've been in my adult life.

I think as I've got older, and tried this weight loss thing a few times, I think I've gained a lot of understanding about my triggers and what works for me. I've also gained the discipline to really make it work. So in that case, it's been easier for me as I've got older.

This ! :smile:
  • caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your metabolism slows. If you're a woman and you pass through menopause you lose the thermogenic effects of menstruation. Older folks are typically less active. Older folks typically have less muscle.

That said: it's totally possible. It just takes more determination.

For fun, play with a BMR calculator, and tell it you're 20, then 40, then 60. Watch that number go down. For me (5'6" 135Lbs) that was 1409 at 20, 1309 at 40, and 1209 at 60. Two hundred calories may not seem like much of a difference, but it is.

PS: I turn 50 this weekend (BMR 1259). :)

And don't forget, you also get shorter over those 40 years. If you plug in your height from your high school physical but you're in your 50s, its not going to be accurate so you may be calculating the wrong BMR for yourself. Grrrr.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I must admit that I have grinned at some of your interpretations of 'older' :smiley:

For women, natural menopause is full of not-so-wonderful surprises, and the decreased calorie burn is one of them. Add in a couple of 'bads' (bad ankle, bad shoulder, bad back, etc) and/or some medical issues that may affect exercise and yes, it is more difficult to lose weight. But not impossible.

I lost a bunch of weight when I was in my early 40s and it was much easier then. Also easier to put it back on in my 50s (sigh). I am determined to get this excess baggage off and keep it off this time because I don't want to do it again. I'm 62.

I am not afraid of aging, but more afraid of people's reactions to my aging.
    -Barbara Hershey

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Psychologically, it has been much easier this time. Physically, the only thing harder has been all of the aches and pains in my arthritic knee and foot that weren't there when I was younger, and probably wouldn't be there now if I hadn't regained the weight. Well, except the knee. I have what my ortho calls a "hikers knee" with lots of wear and tear from my many years of retail and hiking before I put on all the weight.

I do think the weight is coming off slower now, but it is as much a result of setting a less aggressive goal as it is the fact that I am post menopausal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I never had the need to diet at all in my whole life and weighed the same for 30 years, with a variance of ± 3kg's during summer and winter (excluding my pregnancies). In 2010, I started slowly putting on weight and in 2012, I stopped smoking and drinking and my weight began increasing faster until I realised in December that my body was not working in the same way that it used to at all and that I would have to change my lifestyle to get rid of the excess weight.

So the same amount of calories in at the age of 20 or 30, definitely requires a hell of a lot more movement from me to burn them off, therefore it is harder to lose weight as you get older!

But all these people disagree with you, and so do most calorie equations that take biology into account. It is possible? Yes. Is it harder? All signs point to yes.

We must be reading different threads as I've seen a number of posters agreeing *shrugs*
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

We must be reading different threads as I've seen a number of posters agreeing *shrugs*

Lol - I have nothing more to say about it, but for real, I appreciate your optimism :)
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I've got your back!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well scanning up this page alone there are a number of positive opinions

So not optimism as such

Just, as always, we all have our own experiences
    urloved33 wrote: »
    In my adult life I have always worked out but as the years passed I became more serious about it....at 35 I had decided I did not want to be depressed on my 40th birthday like other people seemed to be...so at 35 I started body building seriously. I have brought that muscle mass into my 50's and I think my body behaves differently because I did that. so...no I don't agree with what is being said here about how aging effects us/

^^ just saying...............it is harder for you to lose weight.

It wasn't harder for me.

It is an individual thing.
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    Fiction, for me I lost weight in my 20's honestly doing some really stupid things :\ Now in my 40's I don't know if I would say it has been harder but this time around being for different reasons it has been more pleasant in general. I now focus more on health and I know how important it is to educate oneself.
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Fact or fiction?

Fiction.

I'm 53, was obese until my early 40's, gained 30 back over five years due to 100% carelessness, and this last time I lost 44 pounds was the easiest it's ever been. I love maintaining and towing that weekly calorie goal line. :D
    Velum_cado wrote: »

earlnabby wrote: »
    Psychologically, it has been much easier this time. Physically, the only thing harder has been all of the aches and pains in my arthritic knee and foot that weren't there when I was younger, and probably wouldn't be there now if I hadn't regained the weight. Well, except the knee. I have what my ortho calls a "hikers knee" with lots of wear and tear from my many years of retail and hiking before I put on all the weight.

I do think the weight is coming off slower now, but it is as much a result of setting a less aggressive goal as it is the fact that I am post menopausal.

• tomatoey
    Options
    No I didn't mean that in relation to any argument, I just mean your posts in general
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I look better at 56 than I did when I was 40. I've lost inches in places I never could before, like my thighs. I was always cursed with those saddlebags everyone says you'll never get rid of. Guess what? I got rid of them.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I never believed that anyone could have a good excuse for gaining weight until I quit smoking at the age of 51. The pounds piled on me overnight, and it's been very difficult to control ever since. I did lose a LOT of weight for my son's wedding in 2007 by starving and exercising myself to near death for three months, but since then, poof! It came back and then some. I am so very grateful that I signed up for a discount group personal training program at my local YMCA that told me about MFP in January of this year. Last year, it took me nearly the whole year to lose ten pounds. Since I joined MFP, less than two months to lose about the same amount. People are even starting to notice, which excites me greatly!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would say it's definitely easier to gain and harder to lose. It's not just an "excuse." Just input statistics about what it would take to lose for a 25 year old woman who is 5'2" vs. a 56 year old. The older person must eat fewer calories to either maintain or lose. I just had my BMR and body fat percentage measured in the late fall. My BMR is 1136. That means that if I am sedentary, even 1200 calories is too much for me. So I exercise, just so I can eat a decent amount of of food. When I don't track for several days, such as on a vacation, I gain about 5 lbs., which it takes me 2-3 months to lose. When I was in my 30s, I'd go on vacation, eat crap, gain a couple of pounds, come home, eat normally for a week, and the weight would be gone. I also exercise much more than when I was younger. When I had young children, I didn't have time to be in the gym every day, but I was still slimmer than I am now (even though I ate ice cream and even the leftovers on their plates). Yes, you can lose weight when you get older (or maintain a normal weight, which is where I'm at), but it requires much more vigilance and discipline.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I would say it's definitely easier to gain and harder to lose. It's not just an "excuse." Just input statistics about what it would take to lose for a 25 year old woman who is 5'2" vs. a 56 year old. The older person must eat fewer calories to either maintain or lose. I just had my BMR and body fat percentage measured in the late fall. My BMR is 1136. That means that if I am sedentary, even 1200 calories is too much for me. So I exercise, just so I can eat a decent amount of of food. When I don't track for several days, such as on a vacation, I gain about 5 lbs., which it takes me 2-3 months to lose. When I was in my 30s, I'd go on vacation, eat crap, gain a couple of pounds, come home, eat normally for a week, and the weight would be gone. I also exercise much more than when I was younger. When I had young children, I didn't have time to be in the gym every day, but I was still slimmer than I am now (even though I ate ice cream and even the leftovers on their plates). Yes, you can lose weight when you get older (or maintain a normal weight, which is where I'm at), but it requires much more vigilance and discipline.

That's not quite correct. "You use energy no matter what you're doing, even when sleeping. The BMR Calculator will calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day."

You listed your height, age and BMR, but not your weight, so I went to http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and tweaked the weight until I got to your BMR. It says your sedentary maintanence intake is 1363 calories. If you only ate at BMR of 1136, you would actually be at TDEE-15%, and you would lose 0.4 lbs per week.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    the short answer, especially for women, is yes. Harder but not impossible.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    And then they start threads like 'I can't lose weight', 'I'm not losing weight' and get people coming on and advising them of the latest fad / diet / cleanse / detox (you know the "you must take this supplement on the top of a hill at midnight whilst stroking a goat")

WTF, are you saying this DOESN'T work?

Sigh...anybody want a goat?

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just for the fun of it, I recalculated my BMR for different ages. I am currently 58 and my BMR at my current weight is 1583. Each time I entered a new age, in 10 year increments, my BMR went up by 50 calories a day.

This tells me that whether or not weight loss becomes harder as you age is more because of external factors rather than strictly because of metabolism. Are you still as active? Have you lost muscle mass over the years? Are there more medical things going on that can hinder weight loss? Are you less motivated?

I bought into the "menopausal women have a hard time losing" and "I screwed up my metabolism by yoyo-ing" for years. Turns out my weight gain was because I had become severely depressed and didn't care anymore. I also had anemia that was undiagnosed for a couple of years (just wrote the symptoms off as being because I was fat and out of shape). Finally got an antidepressant that worked for me (10 years of trying different ones) and ended up in the hospital for an oil change (four units of blood plus one of IV iron). 15 months and 97 (so far) pounds later, I am getting back to my old (younger) self.

Yes, it can be harder as you get older, but I think it is more because older people have more baggage, both physically and mentally. Metabolically speaking, there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference.