Lost 100 pounds and trying to firm up!

Options
Hello! Looking for some guidance here. :-)

I've lost almost 100lbs. over the past couple years. I am 5'9", 154lbs. and 23.5% body fat. I would like to be between 18% and 20%. I believe I eat clean. My meals throughout the day are a lean protein and vegetables and my snacks are pretty much always Quest Bars and protein shakes. I'm aiming for 30% carbs, 30% fats and 40% protein. I usually end up with close to a gram of protein for every pound I weigh. I'm eating at 200 to 300 calories under maintenance according to my Fitbit. I'm lifting heavy at least four days a week. 3 or 4 sets of 8-10 reps, heavy to the point that I can't do more than that without sacrificing form. I warm up with 15 minutes of HIIT or a mile of jogging. I like to run, and would like to be able to run 3-6 miles a couple times a week now that the weather is nicer, but I've tried to avoid that because I'm afraid it's counteractive to my goals. I've been doing the above about 5 or 6 weeks. I have seen changes in my body. More muscle seems to be peaking through, body fat has dropped 2% and the scale has maybe dropped three pounds.

So that's the background. Here's the question. Is that what I should be doing? My goal is to look strong. My belly and arms are still flabby. I want them to be tight. I want to see abs, shoulders and triceps. Really everything for that matter! Should I eat more? Eat less? Change my macros? Increase the HIIT? Drop cardio all together?

I'm not discouraged at all. I know it takes time! I've seen some changes in the last few weeks, so maybe I should keep doing what I'm doing, but I just thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has any advice.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    When I saw the title, my immediate suggestion was going to be ... read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

But it sounds like you're already doing it. It may just be a matter of time, patience and sticking to your program.

PS - Congrats on your 100 lb loss!!!

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Wow, wow, wow!

cheering_minions.gif
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    When I saw the title, my immediate suggestion was going to be ... read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

But it sounds like you're already doing it. It may just be a matter of time, patience and sticking to your program.

you too. impressive pic! wow wow wow

cheering_minions.gif

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! I am right where you are, 5'7 157lbs...with the goal to have lost 100lbs Ill be at 150lbs. I am starting to think my tummy is not going to be looking as hot as I imagined it to be.

I did Les Mill Combat today...and I hate hearing my skin slap when I throw punches :(

Good luck to you! :D
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

you too. impressive pic! wow wow wow

cheering_minions.gif

This made my day! Thank you!

• phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Most research says not to do cardio and weight training at the same time. If you must, then there is one very small Swedish study (12 participants) that came to the conclusion that cardio first then weights would lead to muscle growth. I don't consider a mile cardio, to me that is warming up. The HITT could be a problem.

Personally, I've started separating my cardio from weight training. The reason I did was because i felt the cardio was affecting my lifting. It was a drain on my energy. Since then, I've been losing fat while gaining muscle.

I'm not saying the separation caused the fat lose and muscle growth. Maybe it helped it. I don't know. I've been lifting for just over a year. I think I'm finally seeing the results of that year. I do feel better during my lifting workouts.

I generally rotate running and lifting days. If I do them on the same day, then they are separated by several hours. I've started running for 30 minutes in the morning, then lifting after supper. I only do HITT on non-lifting days and when I'm not suffering from DOMS. That usually happens when I switch up workouts.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Do you actually want to gain muscle? If so, you'd need to start eating at a (small) surplus.
  • amyegillespie
    amyegillespie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    phogbear wrote: »
    Congrats!

Most research says not to do cardio and weight training at the same time. If you must, then there is one very small Swedish study (12 participants) that came to the conclusion that cardio first then weights would lead to muscle growth. I don't consider a mile cardio, to me that is warming up. The HITT could be a problem.

Personally, I've started separating my cardio from weight training. The reason I did was because i felt the cardio was affecting my lifting. It was a drain on my energy. Since then, I've been losing fat while gaining muscle.

I'm not saying the separation caused the fat lose and muscle growth. Maybe it helped it. I don't know. I've been lifting for just over a year. I think I'm finally seeing the results of that year. I do feel better during my lifting workouts.

I generally rotate running and lifting days. If I do them on the same day, then they are separated by several hours. I've started running for 30 minutes in the morning, then lifting after supper. I only do HITT on non-lifting days and when I'm not suffering from DOMS. That usually happens when I switch up workouts.

Thank you for the response! Definitely helpful. I think it's sounding like what I may want to try is dropping the longer runs and HIIT as much as I can. If I'm really itching for some cardio, don't lift that day or do cardio at least a few hours before I lift. Thank you!!!
  • amyegillespie
    Options
    mimieon wrote: »
    Do you actually want to gain muscle? If so, you'd need to start eating at a (small) surplus.

I'm just trying to expose and retain the muscle that I do have while losing a few percentage points of body fat. Eventually I'll be looking to gain, but for now I'm still trying to get rid of some of this fat! Thanks!!
  • amyegillespie
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Wow, wow, wow!

cheering_minions.gif

Ha, thanks!
  • amyegillespie
    Options

Thank you! Congrats to you as well!
  • audmixer
    audmixer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I lost 100lbs over a 3yr period myself. I found that my healthy slow approach to my lifestyle change enabled me to not have the loose skin problem because as my body changed slowly my skin was able to firm up at the same pace. I switch up my workouts regularly: core circuit training, yoga, strength training & vigorous hiking(not for the faint of heart). I've found that yoga is the best way for my body to tone up, plus it's such an amazing stress reducer. I'm 2yrs into my maintenance & fluctuations are only about 3-5lbs which is what my goal was/is. Keep with it!
  • Katgan
    Katgan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss so far. I don't have a response for your question but just a caution about Fitbit. When I first got mine, I added the extra calories burned and it slowed my weight loss. I've since heard the same from others.