How to conquer hunger pains

Options
1200 calories a day isn't much. How do you all get by? I feel like I'm being punished.

Replies

• HaleysHeartfeltJourney
    Options
    1200 calories isn't for everyone. Try to adjust your calories a little or save some extra calories to eat a bigger dinner to help hold you over?

Good luck!
  • HaleysHeartfeltJourney
    Options
    Also, some people that really want to do the 1200 calories just tough out the hunger pains until their body adjusts. It takes a few weeks.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I feel hungry but I don't think I would ever call it pain. Pain is for when you break an arm or have a migraine.

Maybe have more protein and fat in your diet.

Drink water, apparently you can confuse thirst for hunger.
  • 626Ashley
    626Ashley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't ever manage to eat my full 1200 but I never have hunger pains. Take a look at what your eating to see what's wrong. Proteins and fiber take longer to digest so you feel full longer than carbs which immediately begin to digest.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Up your calories.

Pain and feelings of punishment will only end in failure.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Did you set your goal to 2 lbs per week? That is very aggressive. Change your goal to 1 lb per week, you will get more calories to eat and will still lose weight! Also, if you aren't doing so already, eat back some of your exercise calories. Being a little hungry every once in awhile is no big deal, but you don't have to struggle and be miserable to lose the weight. :drinker:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I severely struggled doing 1200 calories. So I changed them to my goal weight maintenance calories, which bumped me up to 1690. The weight loss will be slower but will make my life so much easier, plus I will no longer be tempted to binge. I've only got 7lbs left to lose so not in an urgent rush.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    1200 is for shorter, small-boned, dwarf sized females like myself.

So up your calories if you are not fun-sized.

Otherwise, base your meals around protein or fat, or both. And drink a lot of water.

Oh and also, eat back exercise calories. I eat 1450 and burn 250 a day. It feels better to burn it off than to just not eat it at all.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough. I'm 5'3" and was eating 1450 calories per day to lose 1/2 to 1lb per week
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Curious...what does bone size have to do with calorie intake?

I'm under 5 feet tall but have a large frame (as measured by a medical person).
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Curious...what does bone size have to do with calorie intake?

I'm under 5 feet tall but have a large frame (as measured by a medical person).

Well my understanding is if you 5ft and have a light frame you need less energy than someone with a larger frame.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day isn't much. How do you all get by? I feel like I'm being punished.

Couple of things:

1) 1200 calories is really low...about as low as most people should ever go. You look like a young woman, so it is very likely that you could lose weight on a more generous calorie budget. If you "punish" yourself everyday, you may eventually quit and that will really be a shame because losing weight is very much doable without starving and being miserable.

2) Just because MFP gave you 1200 calories based on the goals you put in, doesn't mean you have to eat that little to lose any weight. It may just be that the weight loss goal you entered is just too ambitious. If you put in a slower rate of loss, you may get a calorie estimate that is more realistic for you.

3) All that said, I limit myself to 1200 calories plus exercise, but I'm a sedentary 60 year old woman. The way I manage it is by doing the 16:8 type of intermittend fasting. In case you're not familiar, I eat all my calories within an 8 hour window of time. During that short eating time, I never feel hungry because my meals and snacks are fairly close together in time.

4) Mild hunger pangs are just a reminder that it may be your customary time to eat something. Unless you have a medical condition that requires otherwise, it will not harm you to ignore them for a time. I think we are conditioned to respond instantly to hunger signals, but we can condition ourselves otherwise.

That's all I got. Sorry for the book.

• Shellee38
    Shellee38 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do your 1200 but if still hunger go for a handful of raw nuts and seeds(almonds pumpkin Brazilian ) and fresh veggies to curve the pains or a salad...I give myself a calorie range 1200-1400 a day and I'm still losing and drink water to curb the hunger.
  • littled1986
    littled1986 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 calories (I'm 5'1") and the first week was really hard. I was used to just eating however much of whatever I wanted. The second week my appetite completely changed and 1200 calories feels right, and sometimes even too much if I'm eating a lot of veggies that are really low calorie.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you want to stick to 1200, try drinking tea when you get hungry. Or chew gum (some people just get hungrier with gum, but it helps me).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Lower your weekly weight loss goal and eat more calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    1200 is a base and you will be earning more through exercise. This isn't a race, so lower the aggressiveness of your goal, to raise your base number.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and fiber during your 1200 calorie allotment. It will dip your blood sugar less than if you just ate a carb filled snack (i.e. doughnut, bread, pasta, etc.).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm on 2000 calories a day, which is pretty restricting to me. i find that being on MFP, talking about food, stressing about making my goals, staring at the clock thinking "oh, it's only 10am?? i have to wait at least two hours to eat lunch!!" makes me think about food a lot.

so i try and stay occupied, get work done, and not think about food. also, coffee and water help curb the appetite.