I can't lose the weight. Frustrated. Moms help?

Options
13»

Replies

• jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kiradot wrote: »
    I think the previous poster saying that the benefits of breastfeeding are grossly overestimated is proven wrong by just about every medical study ever done (I say just about every, because I'm sure somewhere out there you can find one that contraindicates breastfeeding, if that's the case...look at the source). The benefits of breastfeeding are many for both the baby and for you. I'm not going to get into a breastfeeding debate but please do your research before you decide to wean such a young baby.

If you don't want a "debate" don't go spouting off lies.

"Proven" is a word rarely used in medical studies. "Demonstrated" is more appropriate. Because I've read the studies to which you allude and they prove nothing. The major issue is they compare babies from different families and then extrapolate that any differences is based on feeding method, not genetics, race, environment, culture, or socioeconomic status. White, upper middle class women with college education breastfeed at higher rates than the general population. So the statistics are wildly skewed and there are seeming infinitely many confounding variables that are never adequately accounted for.

I have see one study that compares siblings with differences in feeding (or one was breastfed, one was not). This is the best study to date because if does eliminate many of the confounding variables that make the other studies worthless.

In that study, the "benefits of breastfeeding" vanished.

But don't believe me, read it for yourself.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953614000549

Yes, I agree that that in the long term, children who are BF and children who are FF from the same family do about the same. My own children would prove this as one was FF and the other is EBF. I also remember(and resent) being accosted with inflated statistics by lactivists when they found out that I was FF my son.

However, there are many benefits to BF outside of the long term health of the child. The nursing relationship can be very rewarding in and of itself. It is more complex than just providing nutrition to the infant. Not to mention cost involved and health benefits to the mother.

I would hate for someone to read that study and totally discount BF. I honestly could see my employer try to keep me from pumping at work(and maintaining supply) because they think there is no benefit to BF that FF can't provide.

• sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support ladies- I feel better today as I look down at her little face nursing right this minute with her tiny hand gripping my breast. Yes, this is what she wants at this moment :smile:
  • brandiablay
    brandiablay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both my girls for 12-13months and with both girls I didn't lose weight until after I stopped nursing! Then again I wasn't religiously trying to lose either this last time. My second child was very clingy so when I did go to my Zumba or Step class she had to be with me at all times. When she'd fuss in her car seat i'd have to take her out and hold her on my hip. Zumba with a 6month old on your hip was NOT easy :) now that she's two she'll let me leave her in the childcare center.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I also notice a huge difference in her when she gets breast milk compared to formula (much gasser, constipated and spits up more with formula)

Have you tried a different brand/type? We went through Enfamil/Target/Gerber before finding the one that worked perfectly for her (Walmart's Parent's Choice, ironically), and she had no problems after switching to it. Not trying to change your mind, just wanted to offer that advice if you haven't tried it in case you combo-feed at all. :) Good luck, and I hope you find what works for both of you!

[However, there are many benefits to BF outside of the long term health of the child. The nursing relationship can be very rewarding in and of itself. It is more complex than just providing nutrition to the infant.

Mothers can have a very rewarding feeding relationship with formula as well - I know I felt like I was doing more than just giving a bottle to my daughter when we were snuggling during feedings. Just in case another mommy reads that and thinks they might not have the best relationship with their baby because they made a different feeding choice for whatever reason.
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your body is still pumping with pregnancy hormones, plus you have hormones going through you while breastfeeding. I know you want your body back, but give it some time. It'll happen. Pay no attention to the celebrities that are "back in shape in 2 months". That's so unrealistic and unhealthy. Its a horrible message to send. You'll be fine.
  • chezrated
    chezrated Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im glad I found this post. I havent read all of the other posts but just wannted to let you know your not alone.
    A long with the health benefits of breastfeeding the 'you lose your baby weight quicker breastfeeding' made me want to try my best to feed my lg.
    I only gained 10lbs all pregnancy but in 7 weeks since my daughters birth ive gained 5lbs breastfeeding doesnt help me lose weight at all it makes me hungry.
    My lg is happy and gaining weight if she wasnt I would change to formula my son had formula. It is hard not being comfortable in your body but I try to keep reminding myself I have years to get in shape after breastfeeding and Im trying to make healthly food choices and get back to the gym.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I also notice a huge difference in her when she gets breast milk compared to formula (much gasser, constipated and spits up more with formula)

Have you tried a different brand/type? We went through Enfamil/Target/Gerber before finding the one that worked perfectly for her (Walmart's Parent's Choice, ironically), and she had no problems after switching to it. Not trying to change your mind, just wanted to offer that advice if you haven't tried it in case you combo-feed at all. :) Good luck, and I hope you find what works for both of you!

[However, there are many benefits to BF outside of the long term health of the child. The nursing relationship can be very rewarding in and of itself. It is more complex than just providing nutrition to the infant.

Mothers can have a very rewarding feeding relationship with formula as well - I know I felt like I was doing more than just giving a bottle to my daughter when we were snuggling during feedings. Just in case another mommy reads that and thinks they might not have the best relationship with their baby because they made a different feeding choice for whatever reason.

My baby was never sick when I was bf, but as I said I've had no choice but to mix feed due to their weight loss. Should've been me losing weight lol. Mine were all mix fed until 3 months, so they all had as much breast milk as I could provide.

I got very caught up in feeling like a failure because I couldn't do what every other woman seems to be able to do, and I was told by a lactation consultant that formula fed babies are more likely to be obese, ill etc. I've also heard that formula fed babies are less intelligent.

However, I have am amazing bond with all my children, they're very rarely ill and they're all tall and thin. If they go on to do well academically I'd say it's more because I'm university educated and have a BA and an MA rather than because they had breast milk for 3 months!

Anyway, I really enjoyed bf when I was doing it, and I definitely wouldn't have stopped if my babies hadn't lost weight. Stopping didn't make me magically lose weight.

However, do what's best for you. Happy mummy = happy baby.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm another that didn't lose weight breastfeeding. I lost about 15 pounds right away (baby placenta fluid) and then nothing. I started exercising more and tried to eat less cookies but bf made me ravenous so I wasn't very successful. I started MFP and counting around 7 months when we were established on solids and added in some formula when I was working as well. I went bck to work at 6 months and after a month of pumping I wasn't keepin up with the demand anymore. The scale didn't move the baby was starting to prefer bottles and eventually had full on breast refusal so I weaned at 8-9 months and immediately dropped 5-8 pounds. Now after six moths of MFP im 5 pounds under my prepregnancy weight.

The studies I saw showed that women who bf were more likely to get back to and maintain a healthy weight. But I suspect that is more about socioeconomic status than anything else. The discordant sibling study showed us tht the beneficial effects of bf were largely due the family unit and environment. There is a slight reduction in GI illnesses in the first 6 mo of life but that seems to be about it. Nothing to get public health so worked up and certainly nothing to justify this horrific baby friendly hospital initiative where exhausted new mothers no longer even have the option of a night nursery or any help so you know thy could maybe recover from the physical ordeal of having a baby? Digressing...

So I'm all for feeding the baby how you want to feed the baby. I loved bf and I loved giving bottles. I love spooning slop and I loved giving finger foods. Heck I just love doing things with my baby. So congratulations - enjoy your baby. And if you feel cheated that bf isn't pulling the weight off, well I do too. So don't worry there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my almost-2-yr old, and fat loss has been slow while I've been nursing. Now that she's partially weaned, I've lost some. But it's actually pretty common for mom not to lose much fat while BFing.
    But even knowing what I know now and how long it's taken, I'd still nurse the same amount of time. Once we got over our latch challenges in the beginning, it's been wonderful mommy-baby time <3
    BFing is temporary, I'll never get this time back.
  • natalieanna
    Options
    I am in the sale boat as you. My daughter is 11 weeks and I still have 17lb to lose. It won't budge. I eat healthy and exercise 6 days a week. She won't take a bottle either so I can't swap to formula for faster weight loss results!