This quesiton again...

Options
I know the whole "am I eating enough?" question comes up all the time on here. And I know I can look back and see some answers, but I'm asking again anyways, and sorry if this post is too winded. I've "dieted" successfully all the millions of times I've done it. I've done it by counting my calories on MFP and running on my treadmill for 30 min, usually 5-6 days per week. I've lost about 30 lbs each time I've done it. Then I stop exercising, start eating crap again, and boom, I'm back where I started. So that's gone on forever it seems. This time, just last weekend, I decided to join the gym so I could not only do cardio, but do some strength exercises as well. I want to lose about 40 lbs, so its not DRASTIC, but I also want to get fit and healthy and build muscle and lose inches. I do about 30 min of cardio to get started, and then I have done legs, butt, etc one day, and arms, back, upper body the next. I plan to continue like this, again working out 5-6 days per week. I am not at the weights yet, I'm just doing the machines in the gym, like the circuits, I think they call them. Again, just started this week. My question now is I have my calories set at 1200. Just b/c that's what I've done since I joined MFP, when I am counting my calories I do it at 1200. But that was when I was strictly doing cardio. I don't know if I need to raise that a bit since I am doing some machines now tho. I know the whole "you need to fuel your body" thing, and "starvation mode" although I can't imagine myself starving. :) I guess I'm just asking for suggestions from people that do the machines. I don't know how much they may or may not burn. I haven't gotten a HRM yet, I plan to, but just not yet. Any advice for this "newbie?"

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is not what people think it is and it won't happen to you.

Set your goal to a pound a week (it'll give you more than 1200 most likely, but you might not last on that number now that you're adding strength). And read these threads to help you out:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101#latest
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here#latest
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What are your stats?
    My stats are I'm 5'4" and 187 lbs. I forgot to mention too, when I did all this stuff before, and did lose, I wasn't as conscious about my food. I would eat better, and stay in my calories, but could have made way better choices. This time around, I'm trying to make those choices, such as turkey burger, weighing all my food with a scale, FF dressing for my salad, low fat mayo for my tuna, etc.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've got the weight loss thing down....but you struggle with maintenance. Do you keep logging once you've lost the weight? If not, it sounds like you should for awhile.
  • RRB2000
    Options
    It sounds like you've got the weight loss thing down....but you struggle with maintenance. Do you keep logging once you've lost the weight? If not, it sounds like you should for awhile.
    Yea, once I lose, I get over confident, I guess you'd call it, and stop logging, start eating crap again, and stop exercising. I really need and want to get to a point where its just a lifestyle and I continue...forever. I'm not going to lie and say I won't cheat. For example, I used to make Friday's my "cheat meal day" and would get fast food for lunch and then even eat out at nite. Well, today my "gift" to myself was a diet drink that I haven't had all week, and MAYBE regular Blue Cheese dressing for my salad. I'm still a work in progress, but the machines are new to me, so that's why I'm confused on my calories.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    RRB2000 wrote: »
    Yea, once I lose, I get over confident, I guess you'd call it, and stop logging, start eating crap again, and stop exercising. I really need and want to get to a point where its just a lifestyle and I continue...forever. I'm not going to lie and say I won't cheat. For example, I used to make Friday's my "cheat meal day" and would get fast food for lunch and then even eat out at nite. Well, today my "gift" to myself was a diet drink that I haven't had all week, and MAYBE regular Blue Cheese dressing for my salad. I'm still a work in progress, but the machines are new to me, so that's why I'm confused on my calories.

You could probably eat more than 1200 calories, regardless of whether you're doing machines or cardio. Keep in mind you aren't going to gain muscle eating at a deficit, whether you are strength training or not. Adding in strength training and a smaller deficit may help you to retain lean body mass while you lose fat, though. It's really up to you. If you feel like 1200 isn't enough with the added exercise, maybe bump it to 1400 and see how it goes.

I wouldn't call eating fast food or going out to eat cheating. That's just life. There is nothing wrong with it. It's only a problem when it's putting your over your calories consistently.
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do the same thing you have done. I'm horrible at maintenance. I get cocky. I've lost 50lbs, 20lbs, 15lbs, and I'm here working on losing 15lbs, down from 20. You think maybe I'll get it right this time? Lol
  • amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So, you know how to lose the pounds, you just struggle with keeping them off. It's just a mental issue, you'll keep going through the cycle until you commit to a lifestyle change.
  • RRB2000
    Options
    RRB2000 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What are your stats?
    My stats are I'm 5'4" and 187 lbs. I forgot to mention too, when I did all this stuff before, and did lose, I wasn't as conscious about my food. I would eat better, and stay in my calories, but could have made way better choices. This time around, I'm trying to make those choices, such as turkey burger, weighing all my food with a scale, FF dressing for my salad, low fat mayo for my tuna, etc.
    Sorry, forgot to also say I'm 38 years old.