mood meds + weight gain

Options
i was recently prescribed seroquel by my dr and have gained a significant amount of weight. just curious if anyone else is on this med, and how did you manage your appetite? (i gained 9 lbs. in one month) i am doing hydroxycut right now and it has really helped to decrease my appetite, but obviously i can't stay on that forever. i just wanted to at least get a handle on my weight. my use of seroquel will be long-term. thanks :smile:

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Exercise is free.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Exercise is free.

i belong to 24-hr fitness and i go 5 days per week; i do weight-lifting 2 days and cardio all 5. (i typically don't log exercise...)

• kimreagan87
    kimreagan87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor any dietary restrictions on that medicine. I know some medicines like that are sodium based and to make you gain a Ton of water weight very quickly. You may need to cut the salt out of your diet
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Stop taking the hydroxycut. In my younger days, I tried to take it, and it just made me jittery. This could mask or counteract the medication (also you don't want to confuse any med side effects with Hydroxycut side effects, both are still meds). Try staying low carb while taking Seroquel. The class of meds that this falls into can make your body mimic insulin resistance.

Research low carb diets or diabetic diets and see what you think you can work with. My suggestion is to increase the amount of protein calories and decrease the carb calories from what MFP gives you as a standard. NEVER eat a carb only snack (doritos type junk foods) or meals that are carb loaded and heavy (pastas or bread based stuff). Really concentrate on getting your protein allotment for the day (after you increase your protein percentage, you'll see that you have to be really creative and diligent about getting your protein in every day).

Imagine you are now a pre-diabetic and eat as such and you should be able to shed some if not all of your unwanted weight (as long as you stay within your calorie allotment/deficit) without the hydroxycut.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Stop taking the hydroxycut. In my younger days, I tried to take it, and it just made me jittery. This could mask or counteract the medication (also you don't want to confuse any med side effects with Hydroxycut side effects, both are still meds). Try staying low carb while taking Seroquel. The class of meds that this falls into can make your body mimic insulin resistance.

Research low carb diets or diabetic diets and see what you think you can work with. My suggestion is to increase the amount of protein calories and decrease the carb calories from what MFP gives you as a standard. NEVER eat a carb only snack (doritos type junk foods) or meals that are carb loaded and heavy (pastas or bread based stuff). Really concentrate on getting your protein allotment for the day (after you increase your protein percentage, you'll see that you have to be really creative and diligent about getting your protein in every day).

Imagine you are now a pre-diabetic and eat as such and you should be able to shed some if not all of your unwanted weight (as long as you stay within your calorie allotment/deficit) without the hydroxycut.

i am not jittery on the H-cut, shockingly. LOL

i appreciate your input on the pre-diabetic diet info. i will definitely look into that. i have been concentrating so much on calories, i haven't really tried to increase my protein. TFS :smile:

• WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    Check with your doctor any dietary restrictions on that medicine. I know some medicines like that are sodium based and to make you gain a Ton of water weight very quickly. You may need to cut the salt out of your diet

i will ask - THANK YOU

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options

The reason you can gain weight with seroquel is not related to sodium. It is because it affects the appetite centres in the brain. If you eat the same amount of food you used to eat, you don't gain weight but if you eat the extra food that your appetite is telling you to, you will gain. Keep a track of your daily calories on MFP and you shouldn't gain much. The affects on appetite can be strong in some people so be aware of this and plan healthy choices for when hunger strikes.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    edited March 2015
    Options

The reason you can gain weight with seroquel is not related to sodium. It is because it affects the appetite centres in the brain. If you eat the same amount of food you used to eat, you don't gain weight but if you eat the extra food that your appetite is telling you to, you will gain. Keep a track of your daily calories on MFP and you shouldn't gain much. The affects on appetite can be strong in some people so be aware of this and plan healthy choices for when hunger strikes.

i wasn't really paying attention to calories, etc. when i first started taking seroquel b/c i just wanted to be mentally well. i went for a check-up and my dr said, "you've gained 9 lbs this month" i felt horrible about that, and realized that my appetite was out of control. i started logging calories and noticed how much i was allowing myself to eat simply b/c i was hungry and NEVER satiated. the H-cut has decreased my appetite considerably. i didn't realize the seroquel was seriously impacting my brain's hunger zones.

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you need to be on this or any other mood medication. It's never fun.

Since Seroquel is an extremely powerful mood medication, I think you should have a long talk with your doctor about fighting the weight gain that is bound to happen with this drug. And please ask the doctor about possible interactions with the Hydroxycut you're taking. I'm not a fan of Hydroxycut for anyone, and I would have serious questions about it interacting with the Seroquel, especially since one pill is an appetite suppressant and the other a stimulant.

By the way, for those who like to throw out the "just exercise" advice, try taking these drugs sometime, and if you manage to stay awake long enough or have the energy or motivation to go online, let me know how that's working out for you. Seroquel makes Xanax and Zoloft look like baby aspirin, folks. Common side effects of Seroquel include "dizziness, drowsiness, loss of energy, tired feeling, increased appetite, weight gain". Medication side effects aren't overcome with a "mind over matter" approach.
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I take 600mg of seroquel at night for sleep. I have gained 70 lbs since I started it. The doc warned me of the weight gain side effect, but I have extreme insomnia and seroquel was the only thing that worked.

On seroquel, I crave things that I never used to crave. No matter how much I eat, I am always hungry. I've tried so many different diets since gaining the weight, but the weight loss is spotty, at best.

For me, I'm eating around 1,200 calories a day and being militant about logging, weighing, measuring and all that good stuff. I see a dietician once a week and am in therapy, where I can discuss my food issues.

You need to be VERY disciplined while on seroquel. My weight gain happened so fast, so don't let it get ahead of you. It sucks ...
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It's good to hear you're in therapy as well as in a doctor's care. Everyone's experience with these drugs is different, and I hope no one here tries to tell you to go on something else. We are not doctors. We don't know your case. I hope you can get on top of this. I know firsthand how mood meds can affect your weight, and I totally sympathize with the insomnia. Sleep is so important for every aspect of our health, including weight control.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I have been on 300mg of Seroquel for years. I was 292 the beginning of Oct. 2014 and I am now 235. For me it is CICO. I do leave enough room in my calories to snack in the evenings. Planning for it helps me to be successful. Good luck!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    I just want to say thank you to everyone for your kind replies. In addition to seroquel, I am on brintellix. I have been on Brintellix for over 1 year, without any weight gain. So after having only been on Seroquel for one month and having a 9 pound weight gain, it is very distressing. I'm in therapy, and I realize that weight gain is a small price to pay for being mentally healthy. My husband is very supportive, so I'm lucky there too. I appreciate all the input, and advice. It is very helpful.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Everyone reacts differently to every drug. That is just how difficult brain and body chemistry is. We are creating drugs to affect our body. Seroquel is one of several in a CLASS of drugs aiming to normalize a chemical in the brain. Seroquel is no more or less powerful than any other mood affecting drug. Abilify, Zoloft, Wellbutrin (just to name a few) are all different, but all can be as bad at making your crave things. On the other hand, some never see any side effects from these drugs.

CICO still stands when it comes to losing weight as Mysticlizard said. The accountability is still yours. Know that your body is now sending signals that may or may not be true.

Other suggestions would be to divert your attention when you "feel a craving" such as going for a walk or to the gym. I know, counterintuitive, but you never know if it is a false signal or not. Drink loads of water, just in case your body is thirsty.

Please don't stop prescription drugs without talking to a physician. These meds help your mind but being really diligent about what you're eating is going to be key with losing the weight. They don't magically put pounds on you. Good luck with everything!
  • jamieklassen7
    jamieklassen7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had an almost identical weight gain when I started on Abilify (atypical antipsychotic like Seroquel) - about 10 pounds in a month. Getting rigorous with tracking calories probably made the biggest difference and there was a hurdle where my appetite expectations had to adjust (like many commenters I had much more appetite than usual) but increasing protein helped (in my case it meant switching from vegan to vegetarian and getting in those egg whites and cottage cheese) and drinking water when you're hungry just in case. As mentioned above, these drugs can affect insulin sensitivity so I've also chosen to keep carbs low. Another month later I'm about back on track; take courage!

Side note, no need to answer if you're uncomfortable doing so: I tried Brintellix for depression and found it didn't really take (thought I may be bipolar so serotonin modulators might be wrong for me). Is the combination with Seroquel working for you? Of course therapy is the first line.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on Seroquel but I remember the shock of being on Neurontin for a week and realizing I'd gained 10 lbs. Since I started at 130 lbs that was a massive increase. In retrospect a portion was likely water but my appetite did go completely out of control. It was so frustrating and I felt helpless.

As for your situation; I'll echo everyone else. Focus on tracking your food diligently and talk to your doctor about methods for coping with any increase in appetite the med is causing, of course mention the HC and follow their advice. I'm not a doctor so I won't offer advice on what you can combine or not but you do need to make them aware of other medications, even OTC and supplements.

Finally, I understand the intensity of cravings when you're on a medication that affects your appetite. Drink water. Log everything. If you have a lot of difficulty sticking to portion control of regular foods then I would focus on vegetables, yogurt, and similar lower-calorie foods that emulate whatever you might crave. Have those on hand at all times and log everything and plan for cravings. I found it impossible to practice moderation when I felt like I had to eat everything in sight or immediately die of starvation. My cravings on meds were completely vicious and not like anything I experienced before or since.

Best wishes!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options

Side note, no need to answer if you're uncomfortable doing so: I tried Brintellix for depression and found it didn't really take (thought I may be bipolar so serotonin modulators might be wrong for me). Is the combination with Seroquel working for you? Of course therapy is the first line.

the brintellix is working famously well. I absolutely love it. My problem was, it threw me out of depression, and caused several manic episodes. I'm bipolar. The seroquel is meant to suppress some of the mania, and try to make me more balanced. Overall, I am starting to see a positive reaction mentally with this combination. I also take an anti anxiety.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    I found it impossible to practice moderation when I felt like I had to eat everything in sight or immediately die of starvation. My cravings on meds were completely vicious and not like anything I experienced before or since.

Best wishes!

I love the word vicious. That absolutely describes my appetite. It is almost unquenchable. I was having days where I was eating upwards of 4000 calories. I didn't realize it until I logget it all into MyFitnessPal. It felt perfectly acceptable to eat that amount. I am now on 1200 calories a day.

• amandaragan
    amandaragan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello there, i just read all the post and seem to be having the same problem. I stay in my calorie limit and go to the gym for 90 mins a day and the weight wont come off. I was just wondering if you have had any more sucess since this post. Thanks