Fingers going numb on elliptical

Options
I do 20-30 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical, and about 10 minutes in the fingers on my right hand tingle and go numb. I'm guessing there's a pinched nerve or blood vessel somewhere...has anyone experienced this, or have any stretching suggestions for me?

Replies

• GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers, but I'm listening...my feet go numb on the ellitpical!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers, but I'm listening...my feet go numb on the ellitpical!

My feet used to go numb on the elliptical. I just dealt with it for months. Then I got new shoes (one size bigger) and I have no numbness whatsoever. Try loosening your shoes!

As for OP's fingers. I'm just going to guess and say it's not a pinched nerve, I think that would be associated with pain. More likely you have a blood circulation issue, are you one one of the ellipticals what swing your arms? or are your arms stationary?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you holding too tight?

Let go every few minutes and shake your arms out?

Change from a pulling motion to a pushing one and back again
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Carpal tunnel syndrome? You could try not holding onto the arms. Also it helps to do toe crunches if feet start going numb (with every step try the squeezing).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I get both finger and toe numbing. The fingers, for me, is b/c of carpel tunnel. The feet - I have no idea. My shoes are def not too tight.
  • righty_tighty
    righty_tighty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That sounds plausible - if I flap my hands (looks as cool as it sounds) it feels better. Stretching my calves really deeply helps with foot numbness, as well as buying shoes a size big. I lace alongside my arch, not over, and that help with numbness.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It depends on which fingers are numb. Numb thumb and index finger means a nerve problem in your wrist - carpal tunnel. If your little and ring finger are numb, that's a problem in your elbow - the ulnar nerve.

For most people, you can avoid the numbness by keeping the joint that's causing the problem straight. Try to avoid bending your wrist or elbow, or at least keep them straighter than you usually do, and see if that helps.
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Eeek.. this could also be a mild form of neuropathy?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Boredom?
  • righty_tighty
    righty_tighty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's my pinky and ring finger; I think it's decreased blood flow because shaking my hand around (which looks super fly) helps.