How do you deal with eating out at Restaurants & Logging data ?

Options
Cody94549
Cody94549 Posts: 26 Member
new to this, and I'm pretty clear on what I need to do. But I have a question regarding logging data into MFP when eating out - or for that matter having dinner at a friends house. How do You manage your data entry in such a case? or do you just be careful to eat in moderation & not enter data?

Replies

• Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Avoid eating out as much as possible. Not only because it tends to not be good for you, but tracking the calories is a pain in the butt. I would say limit either friend or restaurant to once/week as a "free day."
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You do the best you can. Sometimes you have to pick a generic entry and just guess high.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lots of restaurants have nutrition information online - as for eating at a friends I just try to be careful and guess at portion sizes
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I try to 1) eat in moderation (or from the "healthy" menu) and 2) to log eyeball estimate quantities of the high calorie items and then add in some unseen fat calories (olive oil or butter). I'm sure it's very NOT accurate, but it's ball-parkish. Many menu items from restaurant chains are in the MFP database.

I did just spend 3 days at an off-site retreat and I just skipped logging those days.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It's difficult but not impossible. If possible, when you know you are going out, look at the menu online before hand and make choices before you go. That helps alleviate the stress of picking when you get there. You can even pre-log some different choices to see how they end up fitting into your overall macros and calories for the day. When eating with friends, just do the best you can. Guess high just to be safe.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Funny - I just had to do this with lunch. Search the restaurant name and "nutritional menu" if it's not listed on mfp.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    When that happens, if the restaurant has their website, search for their nutrional data page. If they don't have one (and this goes for eating over at other people's places as well), then just search for the food you're gonna eat on MFP's database and pick one that comes closest to that food (I'll guesstimate the amount of serving too). If there's several entries, I tend to pick the one with the highest calorie count... better to overestimate than underestimate. Above all, I don't freak out if I go over my calorie count for that day. I enjoy the time out with friends and family. :flowerforyou:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    • If I have the time, I'll go online to see if they have values on their website. Most chains do.
    • Many restaurants have a "healthy" section in their menu...healthy being relative....which sometimes list calories and fat.
    • Many items are in the MFP database (Type in Applebees and see the many listings). If you can't find that particular restaurant, perhaps another restaurant entry will have something similar as a reference.
    • Try to estimate, but do it on the high side. Restaurants generally make dishes to taste great, not help your diet.
    • Skip soda and order water. Cheaper and better for you. I will, however, order beer & wine!!

I used to be one who would eat EVERYTHING on my plate at a restaurant. If I wasn't coming home full, I was disappointed. Now I know better and in addition to trying to select healthier menu items, I'll try to order something that will reheat well so I can plan on bringing some home for one or two lunches.

I'll also try to eat something at home before going out. This reduces the appetite when I get there.

Often you can get them to substitute a vegetable for the fries. Though I do love fries and will get them occasionally, I'll often ask for veggies instead.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The fact is that calorie counting is as much art as it is science. Yes, be as accurate as you can, but don't sweat it if you can't be exactly precise on every entry. Having said that, put in the closest thing you can find to what you ate, slightly overestimate how much you think you ate, and choose one of the higher calorie versions that show up on the list.
  • NorthSea93
    NorthSea93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat in dinning halls every day and i usually just pick a similar dish in mfp data base.
  • DLD1877
    DLD1877 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Many chain, and even some local restaurants have the nutritional information online, or you can request from the waitress. Keep in mind tho many things at a restaurant will have higher calorie/fat. example: baked fish is usually baked with butter which you may not use at home. Also, be aware of restaurant serving size. The meal is generally larger than what you would prepare for yourself at home, and can be 2-3x a regular serving size. Tracking gets easier as time goes on - good luck - you got this! :smiley:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Paolinat wrote: »
    Avoid eating out as much as possible. Not only because it tends to not be good for you, but tracking the calories is a pain in the butt. I would say limit either friend or restaurant to once/week as a "free day."

So you never leave your house?? Go on vacations, etc.?? Nothing wrong with going out to eat fast food/sit down meals!!

OP just try to be accurate as you can be, after you been doing it for while you do get an ideal what the weight/size of foods are. Learn it now, instead of later.
  • Emantha
    Emantha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to get your exercises in before going to the restaurant. I have a Fitbit and 10,000 steps can give you an additional 200-400 calories (depending on your current weight). The great thing about Fitbit is that it shares your workout with MFP and vice versa. That is the main reason I went with MFP. An extra 200-400 calories to be used on dining out makes it much easier to enjoy going out.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If there are no nutritional facts on MFP or their own website. I try to find something equivalent to enter. There is so much sodium in restaurant foods it really really stinks. I try to order healthy and I'll walk afterwards.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If I can, I'll look up nutrition values online. I might save a couple hundred calories from the days before or work out even more if I know I'm going out (since sometimes it's a last-minute decision). But I go out so rarely that sometimes I just don't bother and choose something that doesn't take me over maintenance.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The fact is that calorie counting is as much art as it is science. Yes, be as accurate as you can, but don't sweat it if you can't be exactly precise on every entry. Having said that, put in the closest thing you can find to what you ate, slightly overestimate how much you think you ate, and choose one of the higher calorie versions that show up on the list.

this.

plan ahead if possible and ask your friend, "hey, what are you making for dinner?" or check out the restaurant's website for their menu, and find some healthy options and enter them into your food diary early. sometimes you just need to guesstimate.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Currently, I don't log on weekends or holidays. I'd rather have a little bigger deficit during the week so I can have more wiggle room on weekends and give my brain a break from being obsessive.

But when I did log everything, I tried to pick something that seemed similar at chain restaurant, because they tend to have larger portions and higher calories than any other place and I'd rather err on the side of caution.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    When I go to restaurants that I can't find on the diary section here, I mentally just take them apart...also it helps to ask for anything with sauces to either leave it off or put it on the side. I try to order the most uncomplicated, healthy, and not think I have to just throw in the towel and say "whatever" I blew it anyway. You are in the drivers seat when it comes to what you consume. And yes you can be specific at restaurants. When ordering sandwiches, all sauces are on the side. I dismantle them and put on what I want. Also this is a great time to ask for a container...and take 1/2 of the sandwich home.
  • DaveyNH
    DaveyNH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I check their web site or put in the closest match from another restaurant. Its great because it often gets me to rethink my choice. So much is full of sodium.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    yep DaveyNH...its scary! Restaurants and the frozen section of the grocery stores are like sodium havens....