30 Day Shred

Options
Hey! I'm Kayla,
I started JM's 30 Day Shred about 10 days ago (moving up to level 2 tomorrow!), but I'm having some trouble. I have anemia and a thyroid based auto immune disease, so my muscles don't heal very fast.

I do the shred every other day + 20mins on my elliptical, and then on the days I don't do the shred I do 40 mins on either my elliptical, bike, or stepper.

Now, heres the thing. I've attempted the shred in the past only to be hit with SEVERE shin splints around day 7 and I've had to take a break (and then never getting back to it) And it's happened again, I've got the pain of the start of shin splints in my left leg.

I was wondering if I would get the same results if while she is doing jumping jacks, butt kicks, jump rope, etc. if I could jump onto my elliptical and do high intensity on that and jump back off when they move into abs?

I don't want to fall of the wagon again.

Replies

• Cheriels82
    Cheriels82 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you keep moving you are good :)
  • Maniga_B
    Maniga_B Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, I also get really bad shin splints when doing certain exercises. I think you could try hopping onto your elliptical or do the "beginner version" of the jumping jacks/butt kicks/etc. or at least something that works similar muscle groups.

For example, instead of jumping during the jumping jacks, bend your knee of one leg (i.e. right leg) and step your other leg (i.e. left) out to the side as far as comfortable, tapping your foot on the floor. Then quickly return the outer leg (left) to the center (legs together) and switch so that you step out your right leg. While you do this keep moving your arms up and down as you would with a normal jumping jack. Repeat this process for the jumping jacks section of the video until you can do regular jumping jacks --I hope that wasn't too confusing. It's easier to see it than explain.

For jumping rope make sure bend your knees and SOFTLY land on the balls of your feet. Don't worry about height. If you can only get your heals off the floor that's better than nothing.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've done 30DS and many other programs by Jillian. She always does some high impact moves during the cardio segments, and I have worked through several annoying injuries, always modifying. As long as you find an exercise that will keep your heartrate up, you should be just fine. Last time, I just hopped on my stationary bike and peddled like a crazy woman for 2 minutes, instead of jumping. No problem. You can also keep repeating any of her cardio moves that you feel comfortable doing. Watch your form and have fun!
  • LokiiDokii
    LokiiDokii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Love these comments. My problem is my knees. They kill me when doing lunges, mostly the front to back ones. (IDK what their official name is) any suggestions?
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just started level 2. It was tough but fun to start a new level because I was so sick of level 1.
  • Cheriels82
    Options
    Jillian says (can't remember which video) if you are suffering lower body problems/injuries that punches in a squat position is a really effective way to get in your cardio. You could try those. Zero impact knees and shins.
  • Cheriels82
    Options
    Also just running Through moves in the cardio section of phase one body revolution (have been doing this now). And there is also the speed bag that doesn't require jumping/lower body.
  • jadior
    Options
    Cheriels82 wrote: »
    Jillian says (can't remember which video) if you are suffering lower body problems/injuries that punches in a squat position is a really effective way to get in your cardio. You could try those. Zero impact knees and shins.

Thank you! I'll try those!
  • jadior
    Options
    day 3 level 2 complete! Took your advice and did punches instead of the backward lunges and burned more calories according to my hrm, even if only by 20, I'll take it
  • Cheriels82
    Options
    Great job! Happy sweating