Potassium

Options
Hi everyone. I know you can get potassium took bananas, but what other foods contain potassium v

Replies

• novakac
    novakac Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Potatoes with skins contain a lot.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Dark leafy greens, potatoes, squash, yogurt, fish, avocados, and mushrooms.
  • rushed2it
    rushed2it Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Dark leafy greens, potatoes, squash, yogurt, fish, avocados, and mushrooms.

Thanks I think I can manage that!
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Most salt substitutes are high in potassium. No Salt has 650 mg per 1/4th teaspoon.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Melons, dried apricots, nuts, beans, swiss chard, sweet potatoes. Cocoa powder.
  • rushed2it
    rushed2it Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    Most salt substitutes are high in potassium. No Salt has 650 mg per 1/4th teaspoon.

Never would have guessed that!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    rushed2it wrote: »

Caution though...you get a lot of unaccounted for K in your diet because it is not required to be listed in food labels. Unlike sodium, potassium levels greately exceeding dietary recommendations (like many times the DV) can be acutely harmful. Be careful and stay within recommended doses if you use KCl (salt substitute).
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    coconut milk, white beans, dates, raisins, soybeans, spinach, tomato sauce, sweet potato (canned), lentils, avocado, and bananas.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    rushed2it wrote: »

Caution though...you get a lot of unaccounted for K in your diet because it is not required to be listed in food labels. Unlike sodium, potassium levels greately exceeding dietary recommendations (like many times the DV) can be acutely harmful. Be careful and stay within recommended doses if you use KCl (salt substitute).

The risk of hyperkalemia is usually low because the kidneys can effectively remove excess potassium. Malfunctioning kidneys can cause high concentration of potassium in the blood which can cause death.
  • txgirlie81
    txgirlie81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is my biggest downfall, I eat healthy but every day I am at LEAST 1500mg short on potassium. I started using a supplement (only 99mg) to up it a little and concentrate my diet on potassium rich foods. But looking at what John said...a bit confused if I do have that big of a shortage.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    txgirlie81 wrote: »
    That is my biggest downfall, I eat healthy but every day I am at LEAST 1500mg short on potassium. I started using a supplement (only 99mg) to up it a little and concentrate my diet on potassium rich foods. But looking at what John said...a bit confused if I do have that big of a shortage.

I typically do a really rough copy of my food diary on the USDA's supertracker tool for periods where I really want to focus on meeting my potassium targets, or I make sure all my entries are USDA entries (non-asterisked). Nutrition labels are not yet required to list potassium (it's one of the recommended changes for the next nutrition facts label design).
  • brandilynnegray
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    txgirlie81 wrote: »

I typically do a really rough copy of my food diary on the USDA's supertracker tool for periods where I really want to focus on meeting my potassium targets, or I make sure all my entries are USDA entries (non-asterisked). Nutrition labels are not yet required to list potassium (it's one of the recommended changes for the next nutrition facts label design).

Thanks for this clarity, I feel better about my low potassium counts now.
  • txgirlie81
    txgirlie81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

... 'USDA's supertracker tool for periods where I really want to focus on meeting my potassium targets, or I make sure all my entries are USDA entries (non-asterisked). '

I looked up that site and listed my food for the day, it has a lot of good info. Grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy, protein foods. Then total Calories Eaten, Empty Calories,
    Oils, Saturated Fat and Sodium. But I couldn't find any asterisks or listing for potassium. :-\ Am I looking in the wrong place?
  • SNOTMONKEY
    SNOTMONKEY Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I add Elete electrolyte add-in to my water. Oranges and orange juice also work for me. Low potassium sent me to the ER, now I tend to worry about potassium more than calories.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Coffee has potassium...search it listed in usda !