6 Food Mistakes Parents Make

Options
I just came across this, although it is a few years old, I thought it was pretty interesting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/health/healthspecial2/15eat.html?pagewanted=1&ref=healthspecial2

They are:
Sending children out of the kitchen
Pressuring them to take a bite
Keeping ‘good stuff’ out of reach
Dieting in front of your children
Serving boring vegetables
Serving boring vegetables

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    What? lol This is laughable.

1. Sending children out of the kitchen? What do they mean? When I'm trying to cook and they are bothering me about their issues and the oven is hot and the stove is on and our kitchen is small? If they want to help me, they are more than welcome to help.

2. Pressuring them to take a bite? How do you know if you don't like something if you don't try it? I make sooo many different foods in this house and more than 1/2 of them are greeted with "EWW What is that?!" I tell them to try it and then they LOVE IT. Should I just feed them what they want and not broaden their horizons?

3. Keeping good stuff out of reach? Do they mean junk food? We don't have much of that here...maybe some fruit snacks and popcorn. It's well in the reach of my older child, but the baby still doesn't know portion control and she'd eat 6 bags of fruit snacks at one time if she could.

4. Dieting in front of the kids....hm...I eat healthy and watch what I eat and make my children aware of their choices and what nutrients is in something. I also throw back an ice cream sundae with them on occasion. Nothing wrong with being educated with what you're putting in your mouth.

5. Serving boring vegetables is all relative. They are children...they want junk because that's what society throws at them. I serve dinner. Eat it or don't, I won't be making anything else until breakfast.

Does this author have kids? :laugh: I cannot open the link on this computer.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! :smile:

I have such a hard time not forcing my 2 year old to eat. I really try not to. I have heard that it isn't good for several reasons, but when he hasn't eaten a full meal all day, it's really hard not to try to make him eat!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! :smile:

I have such a hard time not forcing my 2 year old to eat. I really try not to. I have heard that it isn't good for several reasons, but when he hasn't eaten a full meal all day, it's really hard not to try to make him eat!

Yea, my 2 year old does the same. I know she'll eat when she's hungry but it still bothers me!

Or when she'll only drink milk for a day lolll Kids are a trip.
  • sbcohn22
    sbcohn22 Posts: 7
    Options
    What? lol This is laughable.

1. Sending children out of the kitchen? What do they mean? When I'm trying to cook and they are bothering me about their issues and the oven is hot and the stove is on and our kitchen is small? If they want to help me, they are more than welcome to help.

2. Pressuring them to take a bite? How do you know if you don't like something if you don't try it? I make sooo many different foods in this house and more than 1/2 of them are greeted with "EWW What is that?!" I tell them to try it and then they LOVE IT. Should I just feed them what they want and not broaden their horizons?

3. Keeping good stuff out of reach? Do they mean junk food? We don't have much of that here...maybe some fruit snacks and popcorn. It's well in the reach of my older child, but the baby still doesn't know portion control and she'd eat 6 bags of fruit snacks at one time if she could.

4. Dieting in front of the kids....hm...I eat healthy and watch what I eat and make my children aware of their choices and what nutrients is in something. I also throw back an ice cream sundae with them on occasion. Nothing wrong with being educated with what you're putting in your mouth.

5. Serving boring vegetables is all relative. They are children...they want junk because that's what society throws at them. I serve dinner. Eat it or don't, I won't be making anything else until breakfast.

Does this author have kids? :laugh: I cannot open the link on this computer.

Maybe the ideas as stated, sound a bit misleading, but in the article itself it is pretty reasonable stuff. Model good eating behavior, offer healthy choices, get kids involved, don't be afraid to add a bit of flavor to your veg.