Spaghetti squash

Options
adamitri
adamitri Posts: 614 Member
Thanks to the forums I've discovered spaghetti squash and it's great in spaghetti. Since I've never eaten squash before I want to know if people have other recipes for it. I have a whole bunch left over and I don't want it to go to waste.

Replies

• neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well you can substitute if for most pasta based dishes. If you love it a great way to cook it is in the crock pot for about 6 hours after you stab it with a knife a few times. It makes the whole house smell great like sweet corn on the cob and its easy. I too liked it, and my 3 yr old ate it without any complaints as "spaghetti" with tomato meat sauce.
  • adamitri
    Options
    Thanks. Maybe I'll make an Alfredo. Oddly enough I don't like it on it's on. I don't like the sweetish taste it has. But I'll just drown it in sauces.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I cut it in half, scoop out all of the seeds and gunk, and roast cut-side-down it in the oven at 350F until the sides feel soft. Then once it cools down enough that I can handle it I scrape the insides out of the shell with a fork to make it into strands. Finally I saute it with marinara sauce until it's hot. Sometimes I'll add meat and/or veggies to it.
  • adamitri
    Options
    Thanks Josh, this is the first one I've ever made. I wasn't expecting to get so much out of it.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It is great reheated or warmed in chicken broth with a shake each of white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and kosher salt. It has ramen like flavors. This is a bad photo but it tastes great.

Spaghetti%2BSquash%2BRamen.jpg

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/asian-spaghetti-squash.html
  • adamitri
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    It is great reheated or warmed in chicken broth with a shake each of white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and kosher salt. It has ramen like flavors. This is a bad photo but it tastes great.

Spaghetti%2BSquash%2BRamen.jpg

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/asian-spaghetti-squash.html

No that looks excellent! I'm going to try that, thank you!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I've sautéed it (after you roast it and scoop out the strands) with butter, garlic and lemon then just finish it with salt, pepper and some parmesan cheese. It's delicious!
  • adamitri
    Options
    thank you for your ideas, I think I can have something different each night.
  • nrgbunny85
    Options
    It can be a sub for rice in a Mexican bake. I cook it then layer it inside the skin with black beans, corn, peppers, onions and ench sauce.... Really anything u like that you would find in a Mexican dish, then bake it another 15 minutes (ish).
  • Msmall124
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash with alfredo, but never thought of using it as a base for Mexican style food thanks for the idea nrgbunny85 !!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We eat spaghetti squash often.
    • with pesto.
    • sautee chopped tomatoes and garlic in olive oil until tender, then stir in spaghetti squash and spinach and toss to wilt the spinach.
    • topped with a mushroom white wine sauce. This is great served with chicken. Kind of like a low cal chicken marsala.
    • I also really like it as a salad base. Just add whatever other veggies I have on hand and toss with vinaigrette. Add a little chicken or canned tuna for one dish meal.
    • it's also really good tossed with broccoli and cheese and baked. Again, chicken is a nice addition for a one pan meal. Or ground turkey, beef or venison.
  • uncljayf
    uncljayf Posts: 1
    Options
    Here is a recipe I found on the Weight Watcher message boards several years ago, that have tweaked a little over the years, This a really good Spaghetti Squash Lasagna and the recipe tells you how to cook the Squash in the microwave!

Cheesy Beef & Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

Ingredients

1 lb uncooked 96/4 ground beef (or ground turkey)
    1 large spaghetti squash, cooked (2-3 lbs)
    8 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
    2 cups zucchini, sliced
    1 med onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    4 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
    ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
    28 oz low fat marinara sauce
    salt & pepper to taste
    cooking spray

Instructions

1. Microwave whole squash on High 3-4 minutes. Remove squash from microwave and cut the squash in half lengthwise. Spoon out and discard the seed and seed strings. Set the cut squash halves in a microwave safe 10x13 baking dish with the cut side down and add 1/4 cup of water to the dish. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH power for about 5 minutes per pound.)
    2. Remove squash and let it cool. When cooled, remove the inner flesh using a fork, scraping horizontally down the sides. The flesh will come out like spaghetti noodles.
    3. Preheat oven to 375. Mix cheeses together.
    4. Brown beef, onions, garlic, salt & pepper in a large non-stick skillet. When done, drain and place in a large pot that will hold all of the ingredients and set aside. Wipe out pan and coat with cooking spray. Add the mushrooms & zucchini. Cook until tender, drain. And add to the meat mixture in the pot.
    5. Add the marinara sauce and squash to the meat and vegetables. Mix thoroughly and cook until warmed through.
    6. Spray a 10x13 pan with cooking spray. Layer ½ the beef/veggie mixture and ½ the cheese mixture. Repeat.
    7. Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbly and the cheese is beginning to brown.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
  • adamitri
    Options
    Thank you again, these are wonderful ideas. I'm trying to eat a better variety of veggies. This helps a lot.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I cook spaghetti squash often!

As a side, SS with alfredo is awesome.

Try this dish as a main dish - SS with sausage and peppers: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sausage-peppers-and-spaghetti-squash/detail.aspx
  • luwannalattendavis
    luwannalattendavis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These have been some excellent ideas. I have two of them on my table right now. Can you freeze it after it has been cooked?
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, it can be frozen. I recently made a lot and then divided it into 1/2 cup portions, froze it in snack sized zip-lock bags, and enjoyed it for about two months. It's time to make more.
  • nonnieangel
    nonnieangel Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    these are very good and can be eaten any time breakfast, lunch, snack, or with dinner.

RECIPE: Spaghetti Squash Fritters
    Yield: 6 small fritters
    Ingredients:
    1-cup spaghetti squash strands from a cooked spaghetti squash

2 eggs 
Sea salt and pepper

1-2 tsp. chopped fresh herbs, optional

1-2 Tbs. coconut oil
    Instructions:
    Place the spaghetti squash strands in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much water as possible over the sink. The squash will reduce in volume by about half. With a fork, gently mix together the eggs and drained spaghetti squash. Season the batter with salt, pepper, and herbs.
    Heat the oil in a sturdy skillet over medium high heat. Add spoonfuls of batter and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook until golden on the other side. Sprinkle warm fritters with sea salt and serve.
  • shirelyfisher
    shirelyfisher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    Thanks to the forums I've discovered spaghetti squash and it's great in spaghetti. Since I've never eaten squash before I want to know if people have other recipes for it. I have a whole bunch left over and I don't want it to go to waste.

Make a pizza crust out of it. Lots if recipes on web and or pinterest