College Kids?

Options
XC_Guitar17
XC_Guitar17 Posts: 93
edited March 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Just curious:

Are there any other college kids on this site?

Replies

• magmoren
    magmoren Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes
  • aingrassia272
    aingrassia272 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep! 22 and in school
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    Sweet! Any athletes?

I run cross country and track.

And how do you eat healthy being confined to dining hall food? I'm still trying to figure that one out, especially after I've been logging my food for 4 days (with the majority being from our lovely DH) and realized my sodium is through the roof. Like today it was about 300 mg over!
  • lrkx02
    lrkx02 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yup...22...im a triathlete, I live off campus so no DH food. But id assume the easiest way is look for the fresher options to balance out the sodium from the processed foods they often serve.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    lrkx02 wrote: »
    Yup...22...im a triathlete, I live off campus so no DH food. But id assume the easiest way is look for the fresher options to balance out the sodium from the processed foods they often serve.

You're so lucky haha. :)

Yeah I'll just have to get more creative with my choices I guess. And try to tag along when my teammates with cars hit up Wal-Mart, like I did today, to get my Greek yogurt and granola. The DH only has some sort of nasty pink yogurt that I refuse to eat. But their oatmeal's good.
  • dodgegirl3970
    dodgegirl3970 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    20 and in school, also off campus.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    19. Second year. I used to do track, cross country, and softball before my arthritis got too bad. Still do them in moderation when I'm feeling up to it :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Sweet! Any athletes?

And how do you eat healthy being confined to dining hall food? I'm still trying to figure that one out, especially after I've been logging my food for 4 days (with the majority being from our lovely DH) and realized my sodium is through the roof. Like today it was about 300 mg over!
    Because you run so much, you dont need to worry about a higher sodium intake. In fact, it may be beneficial for you to have a slightly higher intake. Plus unless you have a heart condition, which I hope you dont as an athlete, theres nothing wrong with higher sodium. It may cause some water retention and/or bloating but it varies person to person.
    And since you're eating dining hall food, you're trusting that the database is 100% correct, which sadly it isnt.

When you discuss with your coach the vegetarianism, talk about sodium and other micronutrients. If you go to a larger school, there might be a dietitian available to discuss this with, which is a better option than the coach.

Another thing, I worked in my colleges dining hall so I made friends with the cooks, it was easy to request modified dishes from them, especially if youre willing to wait or it was off peak (like sauceless veggies for example).
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Almost 20, second year on-campus student :) college does not make it easy to lose weight, that's for sure...
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    Yup...23 and going to school for a certificate.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    Sweet! Any athletes?

Because you run so much, you dont need to worry about a higher sodium intake. In fact, it may be beneficial for you to have a slightly higher intake. Plus unless you have a heart condition, which I hope you dont as an athlete, theres nothing wrong with higher sodium. It may cause some water retention and/or bloating but it varies person to person.
    And since you're eating dining hall food, you're trusting that the database is 100% correct, which sadly it isnt.

When you discuss with your coach the vegetarianism, talk about sodium and other micronutrients. If you go to a larger school, there might be a dietitian available to discuss this with, which is a better option than the coach.

Another thing, I worked in my colleges dining hall so I made friends with the cooks, it was easy to request modified dishes from them, especially if youre willing to wait or it was off peak (like sauceless veggies for example).

That is all really helpful advice! Thank you! I didn't know that about sodium intake. I go to a super small school haha so I'll just be talking to my coach and my professor from my Fitness for College and Life class where we had to use my Fitness pal.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    19. Second year. I used to do track, cross country, and softball before my arthritis got too bad. Still do them in moderation when I'm feeling up to it :)

That's awesome! I love cross country.

• stelper
    stelper Posts: 19
    Options
    19. Freshman. No sports (Don't have time--to busy watching Netflix). Just starting my weight lifting journey :)
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    stelper wrote: »
    19. Freshman. No sports (Don't have time--to busy watching Netflix). Just starting my weight lifting journey :)

Haha awesome!

Since I forgot to mention this in my original post, I'm 20. A sophomore. English major. :)
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    Yup...23 and going to school for a certificate.

That's cool man!
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    shannonbun wrote: »
    Almost 20, second year on-campus student :) college does not make it easy to lose weight, that's for sure...

Cool! I am also all of those haha.

And yeah, unfortunately I have to agree with you. Although I'm not trying to lose weight so much as get stronger (especially in my weak weak core) for cross country and track.

• XC_Guitar17
    Options
    20 and in school, also off campus.

Cool. I hope to move off campus by my senior year at least, but my small college town is kinda lacking in off-campus housing. I'm in the country.

• XC_Guitar17
    Options
    Yep! 22 and in school

That's sweet man!

• smkronen
    smkronen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yep! 19 year old freshman here!
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    smkronen wrote: »
    Yep! 19 year old freshman here!