I didnt get enough calories after dinner, so I ate a spoonful of PB and a glass of milk, bad idea?

Options
2»

Replies

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options

I'd like to know the science behind this.... As I've always tried to avoid eating anything a few hours before bed.
    I'm not sure it's science as much as many people believe or have been taught that when you lie down to sleep, your body goes into some sort of hibernation mode, that all the digestive processes slow down. So, the thought is to not eat before bedtime because if you do, all those calories will not be burned up when your body goes into sleep mode. An old wives tale, maybe?

Well, sure, you won't burn as many calories as when you're actively moving around but it's not moving at a death crawl, either. Eating right before you fall asleep has no bearing on weight loss. Considering how much I toss and turn some nights, I should eat more right before bed to fuel my "workouts".
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I was planning on having a "cheat meal" after I hit the gym this evening, so I saved up a lot of calories for this cheat meal. After I worked out I was no longer craving the chicken nuggets and fries I wanted so desperately and instead was craving a nutritious meal of salmon, sweet potato, and salad. Well, after dinner I only got to 1136 calories for the day, which is not nearly enough for me. I'm active, and I my goal is about 1700 calories per day. So to make up for the deficit I had a spoonful of PB and a glass of skim milk which put me at about 1450 calories. But I'm going to bed in about 2 hours, and I just ate the majority of my days calories in about an hour and a half. Bad decision? I'm worried I sabotaged myself for the day.. help!

Why do you believe you might have sabotaged yourself? You're still below your calorie goals. You could have more if you wanted to.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Well, other than the fact that I feel sick and I think I may need to take a walk, I hope I didn't shock my metabolism too much today.

Metabolism doesn't get shocked.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    When i have days that i dont hit my calories i need i love to eat an avocado and such lol
    i eat my yummie things for sure and late in the evening too. Just how it suits me

In other words, it wont harm you at all

• nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    You're going to be fine but if it makes you feel better, do a 100 push ups before bedtime
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the best times to have nutritious proteins like milk and salmon are 1, after exercise and 2, before bed as it and the excess of calories help the body repair itself.

Don't take me for an expert, but I used to do ballet (about 2.5 stone and several years ago) and my tutor had me eating all my highest kcal meals full of protein in these slots of time!

I'd like to know the science behind this.... As I've always tried to avoid eating anything a few hours before bed.

I know what you mean I always heard don't eat after 6pm but I really think that varies for what weight management program you are going for.
    Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss.
    Some find that they cant eat close to bed since it affects their ability to fall asleep

That may not be completely true. There is considerable evidence that having smaller eating windows increases the rate at which the body is willing to metabolize fat. It's not insignificant - as much as a 25% increase with 18/6 fast/eat windows.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I'm not sure it's science as much as many people believe or have been taught that when you lie down to sleep, your body goes into some sort of hibernation mode, that all the digestive processes slow down. So, the thought is to not eat before bedtime because if you do, all those calories will not be burned up when your body goes into sleep mode. An old wives tale, maybe?

Well, sure, you won't burn as many calories as when you're actively moving around but it's not moving at a death crawl, either. Eating right before you fall asleep has no bearing on weight loss. Considering how much I toss and turn some nights, I should eat more right before bed to fuel my "workouts".

The bolded part is exactly what I've always thought. It's hard to change my mindset on this as It does make sense.
    But so many people on here have proved otherwise, so it may well be an old wives tale. ..
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the best times to have nutritious proteins like milk and salmon are 1, after exercise and 2, before bed as it and the excess of calories help the body repair itself.

Don't take me for an expert, but I used to do ballet (about 2.5 stone and several years ago) and my tutor had me eating all my highest kcal meals full of protein in these slots of time!

I know what you mean I always heard don't eat after 6pm but I really think that varies for what weight management program you are going for.
    Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss.
    Some find that they cant eat close to bed since it affects their ability to fall asleep

That may not be completely true. There is considerable evidence that having smaller eating windows increases the rate at which the body is willing to metabolize fat. It's not insignificant - as much as a 25% increase with 18/6 fast/eat windows.

Provide the evidence please
    Efff the 18/6 window, I like my 15/9 lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well, other than the fact that I feel sick and I think I may need to take a walk, I hope I didn't shock my metabolism too much today.

What exactly do you think you've done to your metabolism by eating peanut butter and milk?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine to me, OP, not sure why you feel you may have "sabotaged" yourself?

PB and milk sounds quite good.
  • AmandaGaulding
    AmandaGaulding Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Quick update, I woke up this morning and I have lost a pound since my last weigh in a few days ago, so I guess it really doesn't matter how late you eat or how much you eat in one sitting!
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is great. Healthy fats. I have it occasionally too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Quick update, I woke up this morning and I have lost a pound since my last weigh in a few days ago, so I guess it really doesn't matter how late you eat or how much you eat in one sitting!

Which is exactly what everyone told you...
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter how or when you get your calories in, you'll be fine :smile:
    I personally wouldn't force feed myself either if I wasn't hungry.

i agree. I don't think it will hurt you not to eat all your calories if you are not hungry. It can make up for a day you might eat over your calories.

I also agree with CONGRATS to you on not eating the chicken nuggets and fries and picking a healthier alternative.