Need help quick

Options
so I'm about to do my military fitness test in a few weeks and I'm over my weight. I need to lose approximately 20 lbs but everything I've tried has led to no results. Can anyone give me any suggestions so I don't end up getting kicked out.

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Can you reschedule?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    And start eating less than you burn in the meantime
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    drink water only, dont eat, do 100 push ups every 5 minutes
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You can't safely lose 20 pounds in a few weeks.
  • tannernavy1991
    Options
    There's no possible way for me to reschedule. Been trying to lose for about 2 months now with little to no results. I either have to make 141 lbs or have my bmi meet 32%
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There's no possible way for me to reschedule. Been trying to lose for about 2 months now with little to no results. I either have to make 141 lbs or have my bmi meet 32%

I suggest getting rid of that idea. You can't lose 20 pounds in two weeks. With all due respect, it would have been possible to lose the weight had you started dieting months ago.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Then why not take the test the next time it comes around?
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    If you haven't been losing, you haven't been in a calorie deficit. Use a food scale. Weigh everything. Work out, cardio and lifting. Cardio to lose weight, weights to make sure that you retain as much muscle mass as you can, to improve your BF number. Do your best, and at the end of the day, it is what it is.
  • mydestinyunfolds22
    mydestinyunfolds22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like the advice people are giving on here. You can't lose that much weight that fast it would be very unhealthy. And then you would gain it back immediately. I do great by just counting my calories and putting in some small amount of cardio everyday! If u can start eating healthy salads and soups, fruits and vegetables. Your a man and u will get hungry all day, but if you stay away from processed food and just make healthy meals you'd be amazed at how fast you can lose weight. But two weeks isn't enough time. I'd say a month by my own experience. I don't think 5 lbs a week is a bad thing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I really like the advice people are giving on here. You can't lose that much weight that fast it would be very unhealthy. And then you would gain it back immediately. I do great by just counting my calories and putting in some small amount of cardio everyday! If u can start eating healthy salads and soups, fruits and vegetables. Your a man and u will get hungry all day, but if you stay away from processed food and just make healthy meals you'd be amazed at how fast you can lose weight. But two weeks isn't enough time. I'd say a month by my own experience. I don't think 5 lbs a week is a bad thing.

"Processed foods" and "healthy meals" have nothing to do with creating a calorie deficit, which is the only thing that would enable weight loss. I have no idea what being a man has to do with hunger -- I was under the impression that hunger was something that happened to both men and women.

As far as your experience losing twenty pounds in a mouth . . . well, I don't know. Maybe you did. But that's an unrealistic goal for people who aren't starting out extremely obese.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

Actually with so little to lose, 5 pounds a week is way too high. that is a 2500 calorie per day deficit. There is no way that is sustainable even in the short term, and the health consequences would be severe. No way would you be able to pass any sort of physical fitness tests.

Also, don't worry about soups and salads except to keep your calories low... make sure you are getting enough lean protein to protect your muscle mass.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    By the way, the OP's profile says it is a female.
  • tannernavy1991
    Options
    I have 5 weeks to lose it, not 2. And I've been working at it for a couple months with very limited results. Kinda figured I'd get some kind of actually advise to get close to what I need at the very least. That doesn't seem to be here. I don't have a choice. It's make weight or get kicked out of the military and lose the career I've busted my *kitten* to build. I'm short with my genes working against me. This is my struggle. And I refuse to let it beat me.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options

That doesn't sound like it leads to effective or safe weight loss . . . just saying.

• XC_Guitar17
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Then why not take the test the next time it comes around?

I agree with trying to take the test later if you can.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have 5 weeks to lose it, not 2. And I've been working at it for a couple months with very limited results. Kinda figured I'd get some kind of actually advise to get close to what I need at the very least. That doesn't seem to be here. I don't have a choice. It's make weight or get kicked out of the military and lose the career I've busted my *kitten* to build. I'm short with my genes working against me. This is my struggle. And I refuse to let it beat me.

Are you currently logging your calories and creating a deficit?
  • blankiefinder
    Options

In your OP you said a few weeks, not 5. I would consider a few to be 3, sorry, I could have asked for clarification though.

However, you say that you haven't gotten any advice, but I stand by what I posted:
    If you haven't been losing, you haven't been in a calorie deficit. Use a food scale. Weigh everything. Work out, cardio and lifting. Cardio to lose weight, weights to make sure that you retain as much muscle mass as you can, to improve your BF number. Do your best, and at the end of the day, it is what it is.
    and this:
    make sure you are getting enough lean protein to protect your muscle mass.

Seriously. If you do this, I see no reason you can't average 1.5 pounds or potentially a bit more, over the next 5 weeks while retaining as much muscle mass as possible while losing.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

That doesn't sound like it leads to effective or safe weight loss . . . just saying.

Pretty sure it was a joke :|
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

This. 5 weeks - get your diary in check asap. Log every single thing you put in your mouth. Weigh all solids - use measuring cups for all liquids. Probably not going to lose 4 lbs a week but it will get you somewhere...

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Enter your stats into mfp's calculator and eat what it suggests to lose weight, and weigh and measure ever morsel and log diligently and honestly. Or work out your tdee and minus 20% or more if you can. Lastly prepare to suffer and be hungry a lot for the next 5 weeks. You could also check out those VLCD shakes.
    The only way you're going to lose this weight quickly is to eat at a large deficit and work your butt off. If not losing the weight is going to end your career then you have no choice but to take extreme measures :disappointed:
    maybe next time don't leave it till the last minute :wink: