5.10 139..Goal weight is to be 160 and in shape by my 30th birthday 8/3. Serious folks only pls

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Alcor2 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    no. you need progressive loading- that doesn't necessarily mean weights. You can build and bulk with body weight only.
    it's difficult- and it is not the most ideal- and there is significantly less research and support on the subject- but it IS possible.
    I think you mean progressive overloading, but yeah, I'm tracking with you. The problem is he only weighs a buck forty so progressively overloading with that body weight is going to be the challenge.

We're both saying the same thing - while it is possible, it's going to be a big challenge for him.

it can be done. Waldo did it- hence strengthunbound.com

• mrphatlipps
    Options
    Were you weighing everything you ate and tracking meticulously?
    Was there any cardio involved?

I think you weren't eating as much as you thought you were...
    I was actually ... and no cardio. It was pretty ridiculous.

I don't have a gym membership so I try to just focus on reaching my calorie goal of 3,070 everyday and drinking my Dynamatize Super Mass Gainer Everyday. I do 25 diamond push-up then 25 regular push-ups tgen 25 wide arm push-ups. I deep sqaut with a 40 pound barbell. 3 x a week. I hope this is enough to reach my goal of 160 by August.
    I hate to break it to you, but if you only weigh 140 - high repetition push ups are likely not enough weight to make the size gains you're targeting. Your muscles will adapt and get real efficient, but you prob won't see size increase. Think Bruce Lee. He could do a crazy amount of push ups, and he certainly wasn't huge (he actually weighed around 135 at his peak conditioning.)

A deep squat with a 40lb dumbbell is also pretty light for your weight. You should target 75% of your body weight to start (close to 100lbs), and then increase until you're doing double your weight - or more.

Also, gainers can be good to build muscle when you force muscle hypertrophy (via heavy lifting), but just drinking it to gain weight won't make you fit. If you're not lifting heavy, your body won't use the extra protein/carbs/calories and you'll literally be throwing money down the toilet. Worse yet, if your body does use it, it'll be to store it - and that means fat.

To really build muscle, you need heavy weights and then you need to strain your muscles with that heavy weight repetitively. As your muscles adapt, increase the weight. If you can't get a gym membership, you'll need to get really creative and it's going to be tough to get the form you need to build muscle across more than a few areas.

Yea I was afraid of that! The diamond push-ups are starting to get easier so I'm going from reps of 25 to 30 and also putting my feet on top of couch while I'm doing push-ups ! Hopefully that helps ! Any weight gain wouldn't me happy honestly I feel like I could always cut it once one gained. Thank you for your suggestion i will try to get a membership until then it's these 3 types of push ups for me
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

I don't have a gym membership so I try to just focus on reaching my calorie goal of 3,070 everyday and drinking my Dynamatize Super Mass Gainer Everyday. I do 25 diamond push-up then 25 regular push-ups tgen 25 wide arm push-ups. I deep sqaut with a 40 pound barbell. 3 x a week. I hope this is enough to reach my goal of 160 by August.
    I hate to break it to you, but if you only weigh 140 - high repetition push ups are likely not enough weight to make the size gains you're targeting. Your muscles will adapt and get real efficient, but you prob won't see size increase. Think Bruce Lee. He could do a crazy amount of push ups, and he certainly wasn't huge (he actually weighed around 135 at his peak conditioning.)

A deep squat with a 40lb dumbbell is also pretty light for your weight. You should target 75% of your body weight to start (close to 100lbs), and then increase until you're doing double your weight - or more.

Also, gainers can be good to build muscle when you force muscle hypertrophy (via heavy lifting), but just drinking it to gain weight won't make you fit. If you're not lifting heavy, your body won't use the extra protein/carbs/calories and you'll literally be throwing money down the toilet. Worse yet, if your body does use it, it'll be to store it - and that means fat.

To really build muscle, you need heavy weights and then you need to strain your muscles with that heavy weight repetitively. As your muscles adapt, increase the weight. If you can't get a gym membership, you'll need to get really creative and it's going to be tough to get the form you need to build muscle across more than a few areas.

Yea I was afraid of that! The diamond push-ups are starting to get easier so I'm going from reps of 25 to 30 and also putting my feet on top of couch while I'm doing push-ups ! Hopefully that helps ! Any weight gain wouldn't me happy honestly I feel like I could always cut it once one gained. Thank you for your suggestion i will try to get a membership until then it's these 3 types of push ups for me

Meanwhile buy a couple of books and start studying. Starting Strength and Strong Lifts are both tried and tested.

Have you gained weight yet? You're halfway through week one? Calories hitting the numbers?

• mrphatlipps
    Options
    I Haven't weighed myself yet But I really feel like I've gained some weight in these couple of weeks. My calorie goal is 3,070 but I try to get as close to 4,000 as I can which is difficult for me
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hi mate, after reading what everyone has said you have received some great advice and you seem like a really dedicated, motivated guy, so I think you will get the results you want. Looking at you photo you seem in great shape, but have that fit/toned look of somebody who only really does body weight exercises. To gain better mass then heavy weights will need to be lifted whilst being in a surplus and hitting your protein goals. I know that you will achieve your goals though.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Well, *I* think your boyfriend should get you an advance b-day gift of a membership at his gym, and then you could go and have nice lifting-and-pizza dates.

That's what I'd angle for if I were starting to lift and bulking with a bodybuilder boyfriend!
  • killakyle420
    Options
    Eat big + lift big = get big
  • mrphatlipps
    Options

Meanwhile buy a couple of books and start studying. Starting Strength and Strong Lifts are both tried and tested.

Have you gained weight yet? You're halfway through
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Hi mate, after reading what everyone has said you have received some great advice and you seem like a really dedicated, motivated guy, so I think you will get the results you want. Looking at you photo you seem in great shape, but have that fit/toned look of somebody who only really does body weight exercises. To gain better mass then heavy weights will need to be lifted whilst being in a surplus and hitting your protein goals. I know that you will achieve your goals though.

⬆️⬆️ Thanks bro appreciate the advice. Do you think incline push-ups will give me better results ?
  • therealpatrick
    therealpatrick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No advice, but best wishes. I'm trying my best to overcome skinny guy syndrome too. :) hope it works for both of us.
  • mrphatlipps
    Options
    Thanks bro it's a struggle