Back from chemotherapy

Options
I just completed chemotherapy for lymphoma and my last PET scan showed "no evidence of lymphoma." YAY!!!! Now I'd like to add some new pals who've been through a similar experience and are working to lose weight and become more active to live healthy and stave off any recurrence. I'm trying to eat a plant-based diet with just a little meat and cutting down on portions. Please join me if you're going through a similar transformation.

Replies

• fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the same boat by any means, but wanted to say congrats and good luck anyway. Thanks for sharing!
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    fostersu wrote: »
    I'm not in the same boat by any means, but wanted to say congrats and good luck anyway. Thanks for sharing!
    Me too... I'm very happy for you
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I finished treatment for stage 3 colon cancer June 2013, after a full year of treatment. It's taken a long time to get to this point with some setbacks (herniated surgical incisions, stress fractures, assorted chemo and radiation induced crap), but I finally am starting to feel really good right now! I also eat very plant based (which was a problem for a long time after my bowel resection, ostomy, and subsequent reversal), but am now able to eat more my norm, finally!
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cancer SURVIVOR!!! If I could jump through the screen I'd hug you (in a non creepy supportive way of course). I am an ovarian cancer survivor. My story is in my profile. Feel free to add me. Again so happy for you. Way to kick cancers *kitten*.
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Thank you ladies. I am very excited for a second chance. Best of everything to you!

• PlumeriaToo
    Options
    UtahWI wrote: »
    I finished treatment for stage 3 colon cancer June 2013, after a full year of treatment. It's taken a long time to get to this point with some setbacks (herniated surgical incisions, stress fractures, assorted chemo and radiation induced crap), but I finally am starting to feel really good right now! I also eat very plant based (which was a problem for a long time after my bowel resection, ostomy, and subsequent reversal), but am now able to eat more my norm, finally!

I've sent a friend request. What a beautiful picture. Happy in Utah!
  • PlumeriaToo
    Options
    missyjg99 wrote: »
    Cancer SURVIVOR!!! If I could jump through the screen I'd hug you (in a non creepy supportive way of course). I am an ovarian cancer survivor. My story is in my profile. Feel free to add me. Again so happy for you. Way to kick cancers *kitten*.

I've sent a friend request. What a darling baby. Life is looking good again.
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm a survivor of stage 4 breast cancer. Against all odds I've been in remission for almost 2 years but I still have to get a less intense "maintenance" chemo every 3 weeks to help keep it in remission since stage 4 nearly always returns. My biggest struggle is the fatigue. The doctors have run every test known to man to rule out any other causes of fatigue (like thyroid, vitamin d, vitamin b6, potassium, iron, hemoglobin, EKG and heart related issues, allergies, celiac among many others) and there isn't a clear cause for the fatigue other than that I've been doing chemo every 3 weeks since 2012. Some days I'm relatively okay and able to go to the gym, and others I'm so fatigued that I can barely walk to the bus stop to get my 5 yr old coming home from kindergarten. Today is one of the bad days. It's rough but I certainly prefer being tired over being dead!

A little more about me, I'm 38, married (but my husband is out of town a lot) and have a 3 yr old daughter (who was an infant when I was diagnosed and I was exclusively nursing her and had to abruptly wean her to start chemo) and a 5 yr old son. I'm on long term disability because the fatigue became such an issue that I couldn't work anymore (plus workplace was being VERY hostile because of my frequent doctor's appointments and my weakened immune system causing me to get sick frequently to the point of being in the hospital, they weren't very understanding).

I'm very lucky to be in remission since I had a terrible prognosis when I was diagnosed (only about a 5% survival odds) and I'm trying my best to get fit and lose weight and start feeling better.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Thyroid cancer survivor here, though I was lucky to have only surgery, no chemo or radiation. I love reading all these amazing stories of survival. Way to kick cancer's @55 everyone!
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    UtahWI wrote: »

I've sent a friend request. What a beautiful picture. Happy in Utah!
    That picture was taken just a few weeks after the end of chemo. We did a lot of hiking and fun activities, but I was in constant pain the entire trip, just from moving again at all. It took a good 6-9 months for that to stop, and I overestimated what I could do for a long portion of that. But, I was happy, because I was there, because I made it up there at all.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the survivors here!!!!! You are all amazing!!!!!! Xo
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You are heroes. I'm doing a 5k run to raise some money for cancer research, as a relatively healthy 47 year old it's the least I can do to show support. ...I feel totally humbled by your stories ..God Bless x
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a survivor of stage 4 breast cancer. Against all odds I've been in remission for almost 2 years but I still have to get a less intense "maintenance" chemo every 3 weeks to help keep it in remission since stage 4 nearly always returns. My biggest struggle is the fatigue. The doctors have run every test known to man to rule out any other causes of fatigue (like thyroid, vitamin d, vitamin b6, potassium, iron, hemoglobin, EKG and heart related issues, allergies, celiac among many others) and there isn't a clear cause for the fatigue other than that I've been doing chemo every 3 weeks since 2012. Some days I'm relatively okay and able to go to the gym, and others I'm so fatigued that I can barely walk to the bus stop to get my 5 yr old coming home from kindergarten. Today is one of the bad days. It's rough but I certainly prefer being tired over being dead!

A little more about me, I'm 38, married (but my husband is out of town a lot) and have a 3 yr old daughter (who was an infant when I was diagnosed and I was exclusively nursing her and had to abruptly wean her to start chemo) and a 5 yr old son. I'm on long term disability because the fatigue became such an issue that I couldn't work anymore (plus workplace was being VERY hostile because of my frequent doctor's appointments and my weakened immune system causing me to get sick frequently to the point of being in the hospital, they weren't very understanding).

I'm very lucky to be in remission since I had a terrible prognosis when I was diagnosed (only about a 5% survival odds) and I'm trying my best to get fit and lose weight and start feeling better.

❤️❤️
  • PlumeriaToo
    Options

Thanks for the good wishes.
  • PlumeriaToo
    Options
    Congrats to all the survivors here!!!!! You are all amazing!!!!!! Xo

Thank you. It's good to be at this end of the chemo!
  • PlumeriaToo
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    You are heroes. I'm doing a 5k run to raise some money for cancer research, as a relatively healthy 47 year old it's the least I can do to show support. ...I feel totally humbled by your stories ..God Bless x

Thanks for doing the 5K. It is amazing what they have learned to do for cancer these days. The research works!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say congratulations to all of the cancer survivors on here for beating the odds.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Congratulations! You're welcome to join my madness =)

Here's a brief description of my story ...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sunglasses_and_ocean_waves/view/its-probably-nothing-but-how-soon-can-you-get-in-here-612343
  • PlumeriaToo
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    Just wanted to say congratulations to all of the cancer survivors on here for beating the odds.

Thank you for the good wishes.