My legs!

Options
Hello everyone!
I'm a large woman size 18/20 and my legs are big anyway and struggle with boots and trousers! I've been using the cross trainer every day 30 minutes on level 3 and I'm hoping to build it up in time! But I measured my calves and thighs and they are getting bigger :( I want some help guys!!! Xxx

Replies

• irmita0
    irmita0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do not use weights, at least heavy weights, more repetitions is better to loose weight, because you are making muscle. I have the same problem on my thighs, I walk and go on my bike, and it is working.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Legs and calves are so frustrating! My experience is that I don't see results in my thighs until after more than 5 or 6 weeks of dieting. It is as if the weight settles there. Please don't get frustrated..you will eventually see results and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Report back in 6 weeks!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think this is a universal frustration. I see definition everywhere except my thighs, I guess they are the last thing to catch up.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Same here. I once lost 50 pounds, got down to a size 8, and even though my butt had shrunk nicely, my thighs and calves were the VERY LAST TO GO. That was motivation to keep going though.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    irmita0 wrote: »
    Do not use weights, at least heavy weights, more repetitions is better to loose weight, because you are making muscle. I have the same problem on my thighs, I walk and go on my bike, and it is working.

This is so incredibly wrong.

My thighs have shrunk with heavy lifting.
    In high school, I starved myself to 128# and a size 5. Im 150# now and a size 2/4. Because of lifting heavy weights for a few reps, I'm smaller now.

How long have you been doing the cross trainer?
    Some of it is probably water retention in your muscles, though you are not building any, so thats why they're bigger. Also if your period is soon, thatll cause water retention. A higher sodium meal. And a very likely cause that I'm guilty of as well, you are not measuring the exact same spot.
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I'm a large woman size 18/20 and my legs are big anyway and struggle with boots and trousers! I've been using the cross trainer every day 30 minutes on level 3 and I'm hoping to build it up in time! But I measured my calves and thighs and they are getting bigger :( I want some help guys!!! Xxx

I had a problem with boots when I was around that size but as I kept track of my calories in/out and did cardio to lose the weight now that the weight is off boots are actually loose :) I did it using a manual elliptical... so maybe loosen the resistance...
  • Beckyferg90
    Beckyferg90 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

In high school, I starved myself to 128# and a size 5. Im 150# now and a size 2/4. Because of lifting heavy weights for a few reps, I'm smaller now.

Some of it is probably water retention in your muscles, though you are not building any, so thats why they're bigger. Also if your period is soon, thatll cause water retention. A higher sodium meal. And a very likely cause that I'm guilty of as well, you are not measuring the exact same spot.

I've only been doing cross trainer for a might I would say! It's just so frustrating :( xx
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I've only been doing cross trainer for a might I would say! It's just so frustrating :( xx[/quote]

I think you mean month?
    Keep with it! It takes time, but the work you put in will be worth it!
  • fraseria
    fraseria Posts: 16
    Options
    To gain appreciable muscle size you're going to have to hit hypertrophy rep ranges at light to moderate weight. Light and moderate is obviously relative to your own level of strength and the hypertrophy rep range is about 15 or 15+ reps per set. Then you're generally looking at maintaining sufficient mechanical load and frequency (20 -25 sets per 1 - 1.5 hour session). The maximum rate of muscle mass increase for a non-doping athlete is somewhere between 18 - 23 lbs a year. If you're not following a program like that geared towards hypertrophy, you're unlikely to make significant gains in muscle mass or volume.

This is essentially true when training is geared towards improving strength. Heavy weight and low rep ranges of 3 or 3-5 will increase muscle strength (up to a point, determined by the size of the muscles) while keeping the muscles pretty lean.
    Adding a bit of strength training to your workouts (like low rep heavy squats and deadlifts) would do great in burning calories and increasing strength. Just don't jump straight into heavy lifting. Start off with relatively low weight and master the form of the exercise first to prevent serious injury.

It is more than likely that you are maybe measuring inconsistently with regard to the exact point where you measure each time. (I struggle with this as well, so the best solution I've found so far is measure 3-5 times and take the average) What is also very likely as mentioned by the quoted poster is water retention in the muscles. I read something somewhere, where they mentioned increased mass may be due to a combination of water retention and increased muscle glycogen stores, although I'm not sure what the volumetric effect of the increase in glycogen would be and whether it would be that pronounced.

If you up the cardio and intensity of your cardio workouts it should help. But weight loss happens all over, so it takes time (which I hate) to see the results.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Well actually no. Muscle is built from progressive resistance overload (heavier weights) along with high volume training (5 sets or more per body part at 6-12 reps).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    They're bigger due to the fact that any new exercise uptaking will increase water retention and glycogen storage in the muscle cells. Normal and will subside with continued exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

How much weight have you lost so far?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I had a problem with boots when I was around that size but as I kept track of my calories in/out and did cardio to lose the weight now that the weight is off boots are actually loose :) I did it using a manual elliptical... so maybe loosen the resistance...
    Level 3 is low already. It's just going to take time for the OP to lose the weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• fraseria
    Options
    Just struck me now... Actually, if you're training at home and not a gym... do some body weight squats or sit-to-stands in the 8 - 10 rep range if you want to add such an element to your workouts. sit-to-stands is a great place to start to start building up the strength to do proper squats. There are loads of other body weight exercises you can do at home as well that will promote lean muscle mass and burn some extra calories...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The most likely issue here is genetics. Body fat will go last where one usually gains it first. Understand that the body also reacts and adapts to stresses put on it. Carrying around a lot of extra weight for a period of time made your legs grow. So you may never have smaller calves and may still have big thighs due to muscle.
    However reducing the fat around them will reduce their overall circumference. Just give it time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • fraseria
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

Level 3 is low already. It's just going to take time for the OP to lose the weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

True. Unfortunately it does take time...
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Do not listen to this advice. It is wrong! It's likely water retention. Keep up the moderate deficit (with enough protein, 1g per pound of lean body mass) and progressive resistance training. I am the same weight as I was when I got married, but I'm down 2 dress sizes. A month is not long enough to see enough progress. Patience is key. :smile:
  • leschubert
    leschubert Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a exercise tape that I got for my therapy and it slimmed my legs right out. Its called Brazilian butt lift. It works and slims you out
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You'll find as you lose weight that those legs will go down!
  • notfromarizona
    notfromarizona Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I have the opposite situation when I work out because the weight flies off my thighs faster than anywhere else! My thighs run at least a size or two smaller than the rest of me when I'm working out, although they seem to even out during lazy times. It's all relevant to body type, you're probably a pear shape :)