Help with Cravings?

Options
I'm a big sugar addict. I'm trying to count calories and focus on NOT eating processed sugar. However, that's exactly the type of sugar I crave. When I give into these cravings I tend to binge on them.

I'm eating a lot of fruit in my diet, but it's not satiating my desire to eat the unhealthy sugars (candy bars, ice cream, etc.)

How do you stop your cravings? Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big tea drinker at all, but I recently discovered Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon Spice and it saves me from going to the sugar pretty much every day. Drink it when you have a craving and it might work for you!

My proof: 2 boxes of Girl Scout cookies in the house for the past 3 days and I've managed to avoid them so far. Unheard of for me!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We have a TV show in my country called Canada's Worst Driver. When a driver focuses on the obstacle instead of the destination they nearly always hit the barrier. If you are focusing on "no sugar" daily likely that is all you are thinking about. Heading for a crash daily.

If you broaden your goal to keep in your calories that day and fill in from all the food groups, you will gradually have less room and less thought for sugar.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131

Might you start your day with a sweet treat you love, and take your time with it? Recall the memory of it during the day and know there is another waiting for you tomorrow.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid the only thing that will suffice is willpower.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the things you crave are also high in fat. It is possible it isn't really the sugar you are craving but the fat.

Do you get enough fat in your diet?

I found when I upped my fats I had more control over my sugar cravings.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you ever quit smoking? i have. many times. they say you never stop being a smoker, but i instead i say "always a quitter." in other words, i'm not going to get down on myself if i take a step back and have a cigarette. i'm not going to be all like, "well, i'm buying a carton now" if i bummed one from a friend.

so basically, if you crave some processed sugar on occasion, but you're making an honest effort to cut back, i say go for it.

i personally don't have much of a sweet tooth, but the other day i wanted something sweet and bad for my teeth. i don't even know how it happened, but i wound up pulling into a dunkin donuts and all of a sudden i had a cronut in my hand. it was worth every bite.
  • SabrinaLovesPandora
    SabrinaLovesPandora Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @Never2bstopped, I'm sorry I'm a complete noob. I've never watched my weight or tried a healthier diet before, so I'm kind of ignorant.

Which foods are high in fat that are good for you?

Also, thanks for the advice everyone!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think it depends if you are an all or nothing kind of person.

some people can have a little of whatthey fancy and that will ease the craving, in which case I say save enough calories at the end of the day for a little bowl of ice cream or similar. It'll be something to look forward to. (i do this with a glass of wine or hot chocolate at bedtime)

If you know that having a little will lead to having a lot, then not having any is the only solution. find something else. for me it's been carrot sticks and a really nice dip.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    @Never2bstopped, I'm sorry I'm a complete noob. I've never watched my weight or tried a healthier diet before, so I'm kind of ignorant.

Which foods are high in fat that are good for you?

Also, thanks for the advice everyone!

Cheese, eggs, avocado, full fat milk, nut butters, fatty cuts of meat, butter, cooking oils....

It dosnt take much, and if you want to enjoy something like ice cream or snickers just make sure you account for it.

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, walnuts, avacados, almonds, are just a few. I started on a low carb program and my sweet tooth disappeared in 3 days.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Once I got over the mental hump of "no sweets" it was easier. And then not having all of the sugar helped to not crave it. You can lower your carb goal and up your fat goal and see if that helps fill in the gaps. Some good low-sugar options (that still taste like treats) are quest bars and Kay's naturals protein snacks. Apples, bananas, and carrots taste even sweeter to me now:)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you cant cold turkey(you dont have to) then the next method would be to wean yourself off by moderating and finding alternatives. Sweet tooth is a classic.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me the only way to stop binging was to leave 200-300 calories in my day for sweet treats (my goal is 1800). So if I crave something, I have a little bit of it, and move on. When I started restricting again, I started binging again.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    When I'm in my cutting phase, like now. I drink lots of water. I chew gum. I also stock up on salty things with low calories, like dill pickles, kimchee, & cherry peppers. I keep lots of fresh vegs on hand like carrots, Broc, Cauliflower and snap peas. If I HAVE to binge I do it on protein snacks like chicken, turkey, whey protein shakes and my all time favorite: shrimp.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    After much trial and error, I discovered that the easiest thing for me is to eliminate added sugar completely. I don't have any sweets in my home. The first two weeks were very difficult...constant cravings. But I didn't give in and it became MUCH easier after that. Now I don't have a problem with it, and once in a great while will have something sweet on a special occasion...but never at home.

I have not had even one binge since I began doing this.