To Diet or To Eat Well

Options
I'm so tired of yo yo dieting. Tried most of them out there..some with a little success but most without much and that's following it to the letter.

So this is just a question - do you follow a specific diet (south beach, 20/20, fixology ect) or do you just mind what you eat, keep your calories in check and exercise?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat well and hit my calorie targets and exercise regularly...did that losing weight and I've done that for the past couple of years maintaining weight. Diets are fine, but they don't teach you how to eat...for long term success you have to have a diet (noun) that you can stick with forever...most people can't do some fad diet for all of eternity...so it ends and they go back to old habits and put the weight back on.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Most definitely the latter.
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just eat. Some would say I eat well, maybe others wouldn't. I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein. I try to meet my macros and micros....but at the same time, if I want something - I have it. I had Wendys last night - and not a grilled chicken salad, I have two bacon cheeseburgers. For me, there's nothing wrong with that. For some, I committed some sort of diet sin. I exercise 4 days a week and try to stay active. So far, things have been humming along...I feel incredible and have been losing 2-3 pounds a week.

If I had to follow a diet or cut out food/food groups I'd probably lose 20 pounds in a month and then give up and gain 40 back in the next 2.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I keep cals in check, but I also played with my macros till I found the configuration that worked for me.

Soo I eat what I want within my cals while keeping my macros correctly balanced for my goals and adherence.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Set your macro goals and eat.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Do not follow a diet. They aren't sustainable.

Eat in a calorie deficit, using moderation and portion control, and you'll lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm so tired of yo yo dieting. Tried most of them out there..some with a little success but most without much and that's following it to the letter.

So this is just a question - do you follow a specific diet (south beach, 20/20, fixology ect) or do you just mind what you eat, keep your calories in check and exercise?
    That's a great insight. Do the diet that works for you: be it calorie counting, carb counting or being mindful of eating certain foods. We each have to find our way.
    My own closely resembles south beach and has for the last 14ish years. That said I do it in a way that works for me. I used SB to learn. I focus on eating a nutrient dense diet (lots of vegetables legumes nuts seeds fruit lean meats etc) with treats that work well for me. Diet in a way that works for you. Experiment until you know what that is. Most folks here are here because they believe a calorie counting diet works best for them. But there are some low carb dieters, some are Paleo dieters. Be your kind. Good luck!

• JordanRay21
    JordanRay21 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I follow a specific diet. I do a 21 day round of the Omni diet. I have tried other diets and failed. Not saying the diet was wrong but my results few small if any at all and that made my will power weak. The first time I was on the Omni diet I lost weight fast and saw results..BUT it was a HUGE and I mean HUGE eye opener to what it really means to eat right. I believe personally eating right is 80% of the battle to weight loss. When I am not doing a Round of the diet I eat clean and use fitness pal to keep track of my calorie intake. I consume around 1200-1500 (never more) calories a day. Drink lots and lots of water and limit my coffee intake. (which is a struggle because I L-O-V-E coffee hahaha) I could go on forever but I will save you a book haha!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't normally find any diet with the word "Diet" in it very sustainable for most people. I'm one to advise find a way to eat the types of foods you like while maximizing nourishment (i.e. eat your fruits and veggies, whole grains, a few oils and fats, lean proteins), but also not demonizing the occasional sweet or savory treat/indulgence.

If you're looking for a little guidance to direct you on "how" to do this sustainably, there is ONE "diet" I recommend to provide a little structure and advice: the DASH diet. This article from Mayo clinic is the actual dietary outline: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456

NOTE: any other site that is called Dash and is selling you something is not the right one. DASH is free--just guidelines for creating nutritious, well balanced dietary food choices.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    All of the trademark, named, do this do that, latest and greatest fad diets all do the same thing, the same thing you can do all by yourself.

Create a calorie deficit.

Let the irrefutable laws that rule our universe do the rest.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I focus mostly on eating well. There are certain foods I don't eat except on very rare occasions. But this is permanent...it's not a temporary measure. It's a lifestyle and a habit.

I don't really count calories. I am right now...but mainly because I keep moving macros around and am experimenting with a little more/less protein, etc. I've lost over 90 pounds, and for the first 60 of it I have no idea how many calories I was even eating. I just know I wasn't eating sugar and would eat until full and then immediately stop.

This just proves there are many different ways to do it...find what works best for you and stick with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If you're eating well (correct macros/micros) and correct calorie restriction to lose weight, you don't need a programmed diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The latter... I try to aim for a well balanced diet (not as in, go on a diet, as in the literal meaning of "what I eat"), watch my portions and stay within my deficit.

I refuse to cut out any foods entirely, unless Im willing to never eat that food again, which is not my goal to do here...Ive no medical reason to do so, so the diet plans out there wouldnt be of much use to me.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I try to hit my calorie goal, and I try to eat portions of fruit/veg with every meal. I think my meals follow the old food guide pyramid, which is A-ok by me. Its not a specific diet I am doing, but it works for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I don't normally find any diet with the word "Diet" in it very sustainable for most people. I'm one to advise find a way to eat the types of foods you like while maximizing nourishment (i.e. eat your fruits and veggies, whole grains, a few oils and fats, lean proteins), but also not demonizing the occasional sweet or savory treat/indulgence.

If you're looking for a little guidance to direct you on "how" to do this sustainably, there is ONE "diet" I recommend to provide a little structure and advice: the DASH diet. This article from Mayo clinic is the actual dietary outline: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456

NOTE: any other site that is called Dash and is selling you something is not the right one. DASH is free--just guidelines for creating nutritious, well balanced dietary food choices.

I think DASH is a good education as well.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I mind what I eat, keep my calories in check, and exercise.

I don't believe in specific diets, as I think they tend to have some gimmick and be more restrictive than necessary, and I find it much easier to eat according to my tastes and what foods are available and easy for me to prepare according to my schedule. I do have my own rules based on what I think is healthy and what happens to work for me, which involve getting protein (and some fat) at every meal, eating veggies at every meal, watching closely the portion size of starches like potatoes and grains and not mindlessly eating those, and not snacking unless it has a specific purpose (overly long between two meals, will be extra hungry at that time due to a workout, a time of day I'm normally hungry) and is planned out.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Diet is a four letter word as some wise person once said many moons ago. Rather, I use the term "eating plan" which encompasses whole, healthy minimally processed foods with the occasional allowance for flaming hot cheetos or ice cream :) Primarily for me, I do the calorie counting thing and if I can fit in a kolache, I will do it.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

this is a great question and i am anxious to read the responses. personally, i am on a diet right now. i am definitely following a strict plan (no name, just calorie restriction and heavy exercise) until i reach my goal weight. after that, i am going to eat healthy and continue exercising. i have alot of weight to lose, and i am on meds that drastically affect my weight so i feel that i need to be quite restrictive up-front until i can lose some of this.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    No special diet here. Hubby and I have made adjustments so that we eat less than we were eating. I make sure that I get enough fat and protein while staying under the calorie goal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Diet is a four letter word as some wise person once said many moons ago. Rather, I use the term "eating plan" which encompasses whole, healthy minimally processed foods with the occasional allowance for flaming hot cheetos or ice cream :) Primarily for me, I do the calorie counting thing and if I can fit in a kolache, I will do it.
    Food is a four letter word as well.
    A diet is simply what you eat.
    You can decide what and how much.
    You can let others (MFP) decide how much.
    You can let others (Atkins, etc.) decide what.
    It's all still a diet.