Not gaining weight !

Options
Been using this app for 3 months now and even though im hitting way past my intake im still not gaining much !! Please help with any ideas or tips ...

Replies

• asadsyed10
    Options
    If your not gaining weight then simple calories in versus out would mean your still not getting enough calories. What's your goal say and how much are you eating on average?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What are you stats? Exercise program? Average intake? (Not your goal, that you may or may not be hitting/exceeding. What is your actual average intake?)
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary.

Eat more.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What do you want people to say other than "eat more food"?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.
  • bedtime444
    bedtime444 Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Excuse the rudeness of certain ppl "eat more" jez I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot u wouldnt be saying eat less to an obese person would u :/ anyway kc have u been to the doctors? You may be burning it off to fast maybe it's a metabolism issue? Try eating more whole grain,whole wheat, brown rice x
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bedtime444 wrote: »
    Excuse the rudeness of certain ppl "eat more" jez I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot u wouldnt be saying eat less to an obese person would u :/ anyway kc have u been to the doctors? You may be burning it off to fast maybe it's a metabolism issue? Try eating more whole grain,whole wheat, brown rice x

Yes. Not as brutally. But yes. So many times. Have you not read any of the 'I've been on here 5 mins and am not losing weight' posts?

@OP - Probably not eating enough. Eat some more, maybe do some more strength training?
  • bedtime444
    Options
    No I'm new here but even I can see that there are real ppl with real feelings and emotions behind this app and maybe think about what u say before you say it as u don't know how they feel about themselves u know, if u don't have anything useful to say then just don't comment is all I'm saying I'm sure eat more wasn't very helpful sorry if I sound like a so n so but please try to understand big or small everyone is here for the same reasons x
  • bedtime444
    Options

Yes. Not as brutally. But yes. So many times. Have you not read any of the 'I've been on here 5 mins and am not losing weight' posts?

@OP - Probably not eating enough. Eat some more, maybe do some more strength training?

... And not so brutally? But u said the same thing to this person? Understand my point
  • cupkate1221
    cupkate1221 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem foreevveerrrrr!!! Then I started drinking ensure plus and it's only 2days and I've already gained a pound! Also doing some workouts to gain muscle will help to.
  • bedtime444
    Options
    I had the same problem foreevveerrrrr!!! Then I started drinking ensure plus and it's only 2days and I've already gained a pound! Also doing some workouts to gain muscle will help to.

Welldone Kate :) x
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options

... And not so brutally? But u said the same thing to this person? Understand my point

What's wrong with telling them to eat more? That's how you gain weight. If you're not gaining weight, you're not in a calorie surplus, and you need to be. People are genuinely trying to help. Also, brown rice doesn't make people gain weight... Bit confused about that advice.
  • bedtime444
    Options
    All suggested works through the body slower if she has a fast metabolism as everything like white bread, cake etc can be burnt off to quickly think it's complex carbohydrates anyway I understand u don't see anything wrong with that but I don't see how that's helpful don't u think every thin person knows to eat more? That's my point she could have an underline cause for the weight loss hence the " fast metabolism " comment I made, I'm underweight myself and find it annoying when ppl tell me "oh u should eat more" I know I do but it's difficult the same as it is for a bigger person "oh eat less, u lose weight then" clearly not that easy and hurtful in the process because it's not advice really is it eat more x
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    All suggested works through the body slower if she has a fast metabolism as everything like white bread, cake etc can be burnt off to quickly think it's complex carbohydrates anyway I understand u don't see anything wrong with that but I don't see how that's helpful don't u think every thin person knows to eat more? That's my point she could have an underline cause for the weight loss hence the " fast metabolism " comment I made, I'm underweight myself and find it annoying when ppl tell me "oh u should eat more" I know I do but it's difficult the same as it is for a bigger person "oh eat less, u lose weight then" clearly not that easy and hurtful in the process because it's not advice really is it eat more x

Yes it is advice. I was underweight and when I wasn't gaining weight I started eating more CALORIES, as per the ADVICE of others to do so. it's not just more food. Op might not be measuring food properly. Time and time again, the point has been made on this board that people who try to gain habitually overestimate hope much they eat, and people trying to lose habitually underestimate their intake. Also mfp gives an estimate that you adjust as you learn your needs . Op could've logged the wrong activity level, making mfp give too low of an estimate.
  • kc186
    kc186 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the people that actually helped , I will try some of your ideas !
    and i shell defo try some of that thanks x

• jimmmer
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is the gaining weight forum. Not food and nutrition.

We are serious about this stuff in here and don't encourage woo. If you want advice from people who have successfully added mass, then you're just going to have to keep adding calories to your daily amount until you're gaining 1/2lb a week.

The sad truth is, that all the incorrect info posted above by people who have no clue will not help the OP, no matter how nice or well-intentioned it was.

The simple directive "eat more food" - check for weekly gain - rinse/repeat will get weight added. If you want more of that gain to be muscle/lbm rather than fat tissue, then you need to be on a good lifting routine as well.

And for the record - yes, if someone was obese and still gaining weight and desperate to lose it, my advice would be "eat less, move more". Because things can really be that simple. Not easy to do, but simple.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    No I'm new here but even I can see that there are real ppl with real feelings and emotions behind this app and maybe think about what u say before you say it as u don't know how they feel about themselves u know, if u don't have anything useful to say then just don't comment is all I'm saying I'm sure eat more wasn't very helpful sorry if I sound like a so n so but please try to understand big or small everyone is here for the same reasons x

On this single point, we are in complete agreement.

I am unclear as to why suggesting the OP eats more food is unhelpful? It is the thing that will actually help them achieve their stated goals...
  • josueg123
    josueg123 Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eating more food, and lifting more weights is the perfect answer. There is no specific formula that we are trying to keep from you to be spiteful. It doesn't matter if you're eating a salad, or a burger, if you're eating small portions or big portions; if you aren't in a calorie surplus, you won't gain a single pound. How do you get into a calorie surplus? You eat more food.
  • bedtime444
    Options
    Jimmer all I'm saying is eat more needs elaborating on eat more isn't helpful ... Eat more what? Meal plans would have been helpful, food ideas helpful not just eat more and ur comment was really helpful saying to eat over the estimate of this app as I found that helpful myself x
  • bedtime444
    Options
    Jimmer all I'm saying is eat more needs elaborating on eat more isn't helpful ... Eat more what? Meal plans would have been helpful, food ideas helpful not just eat more and ur comment was really helpful saying to eat over the estimate of this app as I found that helpful myself x

And letsgain n a few others have helpful advice so thumbs up u guys x