Anyone else sabotage all their efforts by drinking wine?

Options
I am a perfect MFP angel during the day and then come the evening I blow it all by being tempted by wine (or cider!) - and all that follows - anyone else have this problem or found a way of changing their bad habits?

Replies

• skinny75ag
    Options
    Lol same ere x :(
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    If I want to drink wine, I'll save some calories for a glass or two. Pre log it so you can fit it into your calories. Simple as that. :drinker:
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I dumped the cider, it's sugar and calorie heavy. There is always wine in my house and I allow myself a small glass of red when I fancy it. I put the figures, say for 2 or 3 glasses, into my food diary and watch them clock up. The trade-off isn't worth it. So for me it's balancing the fun of the wine with the extra calorie load, (though I'm very disciplined ☺️).
  • Exercisewoman
    Exercisewoman Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is something I've been working on. I too get tempted and if I drink I'll have a few days together. So now I buy the smallest bottle and drink after my tea. I leave it later than usual so I'm not drinking as much. Also I don't have drink in the house so I'm not temped. I've cut down loads. I buy 2 of the little mini bottles instead of a full size bottle of wine and drink diet coke with vodka. I also try to ensure I've exercised a lot during the day to make up for the excess calories. Sometimes it works. Add me for support if you like.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily share this problem, but I could supplement wine for whatever, a cookie, a piece of pizza...
    I took the advice of several posters who suggest pre-logging. You don't have to fill out your whole day, but maybe each morning, log that wine or cider so you know you don't have X amount of calories, but really Y amount of calories.

Good luck!
  • blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is me! I've been trying really hard to cut back the past month because the scale wasn't moving. Someone recently told me to buy more expensive wine and savor the taste so that you fulfill your need. Also because you spent more money on it you won't want to drink it all at once. Also drink a glass of water before drinking alcohol. This will save an extra glass of something that you may have because you may be dehydrated/thirsty beforehand.
  • lizoswin70
    lizoswin70 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I pre-log too. Having company tonight. Sushi, cheesecake and wine prelogged. Very little left for anything else, but at least if I go over it won't be as much as without prelogging.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Nope, because one drink and I feel snacky. Plus, good judgement goes out the window. I drank very little before I began to lose weight. Now I don't drink at all, and I honestly don't miss it.
  • yourskye
    yourskye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I fo.the same but with beer. I also like to pre-loaded it into my day so it is already counted. Then I hold myself to the number I pre-logged.
  • michellelhodges123
    michellelhodges123 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love wine...use to drink it more often..as in almost daily...now far less frequent and..lol, not as much! Always log it and before I consider it...I make sure I have the calories to spare!
  • bludflower
    Options
    Same problem here, though not as bad since I just started a new medication and can't really drink more than a glass at a time. Well, I **can**, but I don't want to make myself sick, so I don't. It's tough, because every social event/gathering seems centered around drinking. :confused:
  • gemmag72
    gemmag72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yep, I use far too many precious calories on wine, and self control slips after a glass
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I dont drink at home...thats my new rule. Im horrible, in that if I have a bottle here, I can with all the best intentions say I'll only have one glass with dinner..2 TOPS then next thing I know the bottle is gone. And I yell at my daughter for drinking all my wine. And she rolls her eyes at me cheers me with her water bottle and goes on with her night. LOL

Really though, Id like to incorporate it again, because I do like having a glass with dinner, but for right now, Im facing enough other battles, so its on the back burner. Ill have a glass of wine or a beer or what have you when I go out, but at home...I stick with water. For now!
  • mofitdiva
    mofitdiva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just stopped buying it. Self control...what is that?
  • sweetlatina77
    sweetlatina77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I figure it into my calories
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't track my wine calories (I know, I know) but what gets me every time is the drunchies AFTER the wine :o
  • theredhead77
    theredhead77 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also pre-log my treats (wine, vodka, a special dinner, etc...) so it's already accounted for and I can make smarter choices during the day. And I really try not to beat myself up if I go over my calories once in awhile due to a loss of self-control (aka 2 drinks with friends during a Friday happy hour turns in to pub crawl with friends.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The only way I've found to change this habit is by allowing myself one night a week where I am "allowed" to have a glass or two of wine. I try to make that one night per week either a night out with friends or a family dinner. At home, I drink sparkling water from a wine glass with dinner. It might sound silly, but somehow it feels more special than it actually just being a glass of fizzy water. I've tried to limit myself to one glass of wine with dinner, and next thing I know, half the bottle is gone and I'm going down the street for some poutine. I can't do moderation.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm similar, although for me it is beer or whiskey/gin/vodka rather than wine. I usually have no problem budgeting calories for the liquor itself, but it is, as others have mentioned, the subsequent snacking that really causes me problems.

I try to limit my drinking to social drinking, now, and have also tried to get away from the all-or-nothing "if I have one or two drinks, I may as well have four or five" mentality that I seem to struggle with.

I try to eat a bit lower on non-drinking, non-social days so that if I do exceed my pre-logged drinking calories, the damage is minimal. I have mixed success with this. Sometimes I'm better at exercising willpower than at other times. But I do have to say that drinking is my primary barrier to weight loss.

23s81gy.jpg
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I choose beer...because beer! but ya I just make sure it fits into my calories. I'm lucky cause I don't like to eat while I drink.