Low carb

Options
2»

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Can someone suggest a good balance % wise? I think mine are set 20% carbs, 40% fat and 40% protein but that seems like way too little carbs from what you're saying. I don't think I set it like that so mfp must of recommended that. I don't have any medical reason. I'm 160, aiming for about 140. No wonder I always eat over my carb allowance!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Remember to add fat/oils and protein when you are eating few carbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd call under 100g low carb

I've seen this ^^^. But if your calories are very low (due to height, weight, age and sedentary activity level) I've seen people who consider 50-75 g's as low carb. One friend who does very low carb, eats under 25 g; but as veggies and things have carbs too, for me that would be way too difficult. FYI
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I stick to under 30 net grams of carbs per day.

I enjoy lots of tuna, salmon, chicken, eggs, cream cheese, butter, brocolli, cashew nuts (just 'cause I love them), cheese etc.

Something I think is quite yummy is making a wrap using eggs. One or two eggs beaten, then cooked in a pan, nice and thin. Add grated cheese when halfway cooked. Remove from the pan and fill with whatever takes your fancy. I like avocado, chicken and cream cheese. I just put in whatever I have on hand that isn't mega high in carbs.

I love getting a fresh chunk of raw salmon, slicing it up and dipping it in a good Japanese soy sauce. I'll also roll some little balls of cream cheese alongside it and dip them too. Yum.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    what do you consider a low carb diet? How many carbs do you intake and how do you adjust the other items such as protein, etc?

Go to http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ Fill out the data fields and when you get to step 3, click on Low card option and the calculator will give you a ratio that you can use. And it will give you amount of grams/calories. Good luck.
  • zerbabijaz
    zerbabijaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what do you consider a low carb diet? How many carbs do you intake and how do you adjust the other items such as protein, etc?

• CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Low carb is whatever you want it to be. For some it's cutting out sugary stuff. For others it's cutting out bread, rice, and pasta. For others still, it's pretty much exclusion.

Do what works for you and don't sweat the details.

^^^^ good advice
  • traceyjayne1964
    traceyjayne1964 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have 25g carb maximum a day, i find this easy with a great variety of foods to choose from. Ive lost 23lbs in just under 2 months.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    CanadaEh1 wrote: »

I've seen this ^^^. But if your calories are very low (due to height, weight, age and sedentary activity level) I've seen people who consider 50-75 g's as low carb. One friend who does very low carb, eats under 25 g; but as veggies and things have carbs too, for me that would be way too difficult. FYI

Plenty of people eat 25 g carbs/day. It has nothing to do with how many calories you eat. If you want to eat more calories, you add more fat.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I find cutting carbs to be a REAL struggle, I eat nearly 200g a day :(
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm 15 carb 25 protein and 75 fat. I rarely hit it as I eat with my family and bless her heart eat what my wife makes. Idk anything but what I've read here and been after it for like 50 days.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    aksteve777 wrote: »
    I'm 15 carb 25 protein and 75 fat. I rarely hit it as I eat with my family and bless her heart eat what my wife makes. Idk anything but what I've read here and been after it for like 50 days.

Is that percent or grams? I hope percent, cause grams would be too low on protein...but it doesn't add up to 100%.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    CanadaEh1 wrote: »

Plenty of people eat 25 g carbs/day. It has nothing to do with how many calories you eat. If you want to eat more calories, you add more fat.

Also of note, many people who say they eat very low carb such as this are referring to net carbs (most people use net carbs except for the US). Net carbs subtract out fiber, so while vegetables have carbs, they also have fiber; low carb diets do not exclude vegetables.
  • cazzahi
    cazzahi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i'm on a low carb diet, don't go over 10% carb, i cut out sugars and rich carb foods, i find this eating way is brilliant and not a restriction of food.
    the 1st couple of weeks i ate every 2-3 hours high protein and fat food, was sooooo full, i did feel really tired and then woke up after about 2 weeks with so much energy and feeling fab, everyone says i look alot better, been doing it for 8 week and lost 18lb. i'm not eating as much now as i get so full.
    i was a crisp fan before and could eat 4 packs a day, craving have all gone. i am a huge low carb fan, but it because it works for me and everyone is different.
    please add me as a friend x
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have been trying to sort of follow the atkins model of low carb dieting, although I am becoming more and more disenchanted with it because it is so restrictive and has so many banned foods. I feel like as long as I am under like 30g carbs, then I am good. I don't really put too much emphasis on other things like protein, fat, etc. when I am trying to do low carb, because it is too much for me to keep track of. I try to stick to one thing, low calorie or low carb.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It really depends on the person - some go below 20g/day, others keep it under 100g/day, some will have a limit like 50g/day but then eat most of their exercise calories as carbs...

There's no one answer to this, it depends on your goals and activity and profile and eating preferences and etc.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to sort of follow the atkins model of low carb dieting, although I am becoming more and more disenchanted with it because it is so restrictive and has so many banned foods. I feel like as long as I am under like 30g carbs, then I am good. I don't really put too much emphasis on other things like protein, fat, etc. when I am trying to do low carb, because it is too much for me to keep track of. I try to stick to one thing, low calorie or low carb.

If you break loose from the Atkins model, you get more flexibility. Atkins has some rules that were specifically about using it as an elimination diet, but if you're not trying to find food sensitivities, they're nothing but an inconvenience.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is really about CICO. However, from there you have a lot of flexibility with the way you eat. If you don't have a medical reason for cutting down on carbs, then maybe just focus on calories right now? That's what matters for weight loss. I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who's lost almost 60lbs by CICO/IF and have been successfully maintaining for two years now. I'm also coming at this from the perspective of someone who has started an elimination diet this week and have cut carbs to under 100g a day (as well as gone totally grain free). But, I'm not doing this for weight loss but because I'm wondering if I have some food sensitivity issues going on and carbs/grains is the first thing on my list. But, I don't think carbs/grains are evil or anything, they just may not be a good fit for me (or it could very well be something else).